The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flames fire Geoff Ward, name Darryl Sutter as head coach

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

2004:  Sutter hired mid-season, makes the cup
2012:  Sutter hired mid-season, makes the cup
2021:  Sutter hired mid-season. ???

Well, you know how the story goes.  Sir Treliving does it again...

To me this smells like the owner's call, kind of like Gillis & Torts.

I don't know how much time Treliving has left, a GM only gets so many coaching hires and time overall (which should hit home here).

Well unless of course the trend continues and Sutter pulls off some playoff magic.

Edited by kanucks25

11 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I don't know how much time Treliving has left, a GM only gets so many coaching hires and time overall (which should hit home here).

Well unless of course the trend continues and Sutter pulls off some playoff magic.

Warning shot for Treliving. Because Sutter has also been GM in the past. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

The guy who runs the consulting firm I work for is an ex NHLer in Downtown Calgary. He is still pretty connected in the hockey world and totally called this a few years ago. These kids got mixed up in some bad stuff. Johnny fell in so deep that they actually flew his mother in to stay with him and clean him up. These kids have been partying hard for a few years now and my boss said a long time ago. “if these guys keep F’ing around they’re going to get one of the Sutter boys in to straighten this out”. So I almost died when I saw this headline. To be honest, this isn’t as uncommon as you think. ALL teams party, especially on road trips but a few come right off the “rails of the crazy train” this is seriously the legit unspoken job of the team captain. Keeping his teammates from blacking out on a nightly basis. 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

Reading the Calgary boards, seems like it was the owners decision.

I dunno.  That Calgary core is kinda gutless, been through 3 coaches.  Bringing an old guy back with turn of the century ideas might back fire on them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Yep.  Trelivings's on his last life for sure (and rightfully so)

Had he not made the playoffs a few times, as well as one of those times being 1st in the West, he would have been gone some time ago.

10 hours ago, linden17 said:

This actually makes a lot of sense. Calgary was supposed to be a top team with their signings. I was legit saying to my friend tonight that Calgary just needs a coaching change. Too much talent for them to be doing as they have been. We on the other hand are in more of a less panic mode where our decisions can be made in the off season.

Honestly I don’t think Calgary is that great, even on paper. Gaudreau and Monahan can’t be the guys to lead a good team offensively, and without a couple lights out games from marky against us, we would probably be ahead of them in the standings. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I'd be worried about Sutter breaking Markstrom lol

I was thinking along the same lines 

It reminds of when Johnny Torts was brought in to get more out of the  Canucks.

Wonder if boring Sean and Little Johnny are going to be happy blocking shots.:lol:

5 hours ago, Darius said:

Reading the Calgary boards, seems like it was the owners decision.

I dunno.  That Calgary core is kinda gutless, been through 3 coaches.  Bringing an old guy back with turn of the century ideas might back fire on them.

This is the 5th coach for that core 

Hartley Gulutzan Peter's Ward now sutter

7 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Wasn’t Sutter a huge reason why the Flames were stuck in mediocrity for so long? 

Yeah he was way to old school in his gm abilities pretty much wasted Iginla and kiprusoff.

4 minutes ago, Violator said:

This is the 5th coach for that core 

Hartley Gulutzan Peter's Ward now sutter

haha i forgto Gulutzan the stick thrower.    I doubt they will turn it around with ol man Sutter.  These guys disappear when the going gets tough.