The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

well said Deb.

the boy's have been improving every game, there's a stark difference between Jan and now. That should be enough for most people

My only concern now is that management/ownership tries and keep veterans like Pearson or Sutter past this season due to the recent stretch.  I'm not keen on them not at least trying to move veterans on expiring contracts by the TDL, even if the return isn't tremendous (e.g. late round picks).  I would be curious about the market for Edler though I doubt there's much interest from coaching/management and even Edler about being traded.

Notwithstanding the current stretch of wins, which is an encouraging sign for the team in the long term, I think there is long term benefit in them doing their best to move on from the vets and to let the young core be the ones directly responsible for leading the team, without insulation.  It felt like this year and last year were the years where our young core began taking on that mantle in practical terms (e.g. out late to tie a game, defend a lead, etc.) but with insulation from veterans.  The time for insulation is drawing to a close both based on the growth in experience of the players and practical need due to cap constraints (e.g. Hughes and Petey's expiring ELCs).  The one area of the roster where the Canucks may still need to have more insulation by buying veterans is on D, particularly if they lose one of Schmidt or Myers (I can't see the Canucks exposing Schmidt) in expansion.

I can live with the team not trading the veterans this year (as disappointing as that will be).  If they bring them back however, and on deals with relatively large cap hits, it will be discouraging, especially with guys like Podkolzin and possible Lind and/or Rathbone poised to make the jump.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I doubt there’s too many other fanbases that complain about winning as much as we do

We have the worst record in the league since like 2015 I'm pretty sure. 

Habs were calling for their coach's head after being fairly successful to start the season, while some Canucks fans still coddle Benning after 5 bottom dwelling years. I really don't think we "complain" too much about winning. In fact, I would argue that we're complacent with losing, seeing how CDC, HFCanucks, and Canucks Reddit have all grown substantially over these miserable years.

Edited by Grape

37 minutes ago, Grape said:

Habs were calling for their coach's head after being fairly successful to start the season, while some Canucks fans still coddle Benning after 5 bottom dwelling years. I really don't think we "complain" too much about winning. In fact, I would argue that we're complacent with losing, seeing how CDC, HFCanucks, and Canucks Reddit have all grown substantially over these miserable years.

I was just joking around seeing as there didn’t seem to be much joy surrounding this win. I personally just try to stay positive regarding the nucks, got enough things to stress about in life, don’t feel the need to stack the Canucks recent struggles on top of that. I get that seeing the boys not play their best is a bit frustrating, but a win is a win in my books, regardless of how we get them. I’ll enjoy them whenever we get them. To each their own I suppose. 

Edited by Kenny Blankenship

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

My only concern now is that management/ownership tries and keep veterans like Pearson or Sutter past this season due to the recent stretch.  I'm not keen on them not at least trying to move veterans on expiring contracts by the TDL, even if the return isn't tremendous (e.g. late round picks).  I would be curious about the market for Edler though I doubt there's much interest from coaching/management and even Edler about being traded.

Notwithstanding the current stretch of wins, which is an encouraging sign for the team in the long term, I think there is long term benefit in them doing their best to move on from the vets and to let the young core be the ones directly responsible for leading the team, without insulation.  It felt like this year and last year were the years where our young core began taking on that mantle in practical terms (e.g. out late to tie a game, defend a lead, etc.) but with insulation from veterans.  The time for insulation is drawing to a close both based on the growth in experience of the players and practical need due to cap constraints (e.g. Hughes and Petey's expiring ELCs).  The one area of the roster where the Canucks may still need to have more insulation by buying veterans is on D, particularly if they lose one of Schmidt or Myers (I can't see the Canucks exposing Schmidt) in expansion.

I can live with the team not trading the veterans this year (as disappointing as that will be).  If they bring them back however, and on deals with relatively large cap hits, it will be discouraging, especially with guys like Podkolzin and possible Lind and/or Rathbone poised to make the jump.

letting all the veterans go, will surely bring some losses. if Gaudette doesn't improve, I would rather resign sutter to a 1-2 year deal. edler might need to be resigned, Joulevi,rathbone,Rafferty, or chatfield aren't ready for a top 4 role. I believe Pearson minutes could be replaced with motte/podz.

as for the expansion I would protect myers schmidt and Joulevi. miller, EP, Boeser,horvat,motte,virtanen. the last player I would probably protect would be either gaudette or vesey.

I would try to resign benn/hamonic,gaudette,vesey, and MacEwen for exposure rules.

That would probably mean seattle takes Rafferty or potentially Holtby (if he improves)

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Borderline Canuck said:

Really liked the commentators last night.  Informative and not bias.

Liking what I see in Mac.  Like to see him get the chance to play with more offensive minded linemates.

Gary Galley has been great since day one. Love his knowledge of the game from every perspective. 

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

They can't sit in their basements on media forums and pretend they are smarter than people who have been "in hockey", for 50 years?

Edit: It reminds me of when I worked for an Oil and Gas giant. After years of having the same boss we amalgamated with another huge player and ended up with a new boss. I didn't like him changing our office and I thought I knew more than him even though he had 40 years more experience than me.

We never got along until he found out I ran all the office hockey pools and we got down to talking hockey and business one afternoon being the only two in the office. It turns out he did know far more about business than I did. And interestingly enough it turns out I didn't know more about running a hockey team than I did a business. He owns a CHL team. ::D

Anyways I wanted to point out how funny it is here on CDC to see the regulars cutting down JB and co. as if this hockey thing is so easy even a monkey could do it. Similarly these people must thing the rest of us are idiots too. I mean just pick a saw and build a house, grab a wrench and fix the plumbing, give a couple needles and talk nice, be a nurse. Most of these people couldn't find their way out of the basement in a power outage let alone run a hockey team. /End rant :emot-parrot: 

Epic post here. +100

1 hour ago, Grape said:

The drafting from about 2006-2012 set that table.

Whoever was chosen to GM in 2014 had a big F***ing mess to mop up. Thank Gawd our drafting has been brilliant, so we can finally look forwards.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Gary Galley has been great since day one. Love his knowledge of the game from every perspective. 

He was a solid player as well. I still have his hockey card from the 80s when he was with BOS

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This isn't really true though.  People tend to just put their own narrative on this if it isn't factual (so don't buy in!).  We're not as bad as people have made us out to be...their suffering is exaggerated and gets louder in a strength in numbers way.  They lose perspective of how hard this deal really is.

Have we waited longer than anyone?  Sure.  But not "this" team and that's what gets thrown into the blender at times.  They own only the past few years, not all of it.

In the past 20 years (Canadian teams):

Canucks:

Made the playoffs:  13/20

Won one round: 5/13

Won three rounds:  1/13

(Lost in first round:  6/13)

Last year:  Qualified/second round exit

Maple Leafs:

Made the playoffs:  8/20

Won one round: 2/8

Won two rounds: 1/8

(Lost in first round:  5/8)

Last year:  DNQ

Oilers:

Made the playoffs:  4/20

Won one round:  1/4

Won three rounds:  1/4

(Lost in first round:  2/4)

Flames:

Made the playoffs:  10/20 

Won one round:  1/9

Won three rounds:  1/9

(Lost in first round:  7/9)

Last year:  Qualified/first round exit

Jets:  (10 year history)

Made the playoffs:  5/10

Won one round:  1/10

Won two rounds:  1/10

Won three rounds: 1/10

(Lost in first round:  2/10)

Canadiens: 

Won one round:  4/20

Won two rounds:  2/20

(Lost in first round:  6/20)

Senators:  

Made the playoffs:  12/20

Won one round:  3/20

Won three rounds:  1/20

Last year:  Did not make qualifying round

It's about keeping perspective.  Sure, half of this is accredited to the Sedin era and the success of the team 10 years ago but keep in mind that it's a transition, not a "jump" to replacing that team and starting over.  It doesn't happen overnight.  They thought it could be a retool and then rethought that.  So sure, we've missed most of the past 7 but do we look better than the lineup in 2014 in relation to promising young talent?

This is NOT to argue that some changes likely could help the current state and that we aren't "convincing" quite yet.  But is part of that could be attributed to the circumstances and not being able to really judge accurately during the schedule?  Somewhat.  The picture isn't clear because the schedule isn't normal and people who ignore than really aren't willing to accept any argument that goes against their own.

I feel like people who act like we're long suffering don't understand what that really can look like (check our earlier history when, over the first 20 years, we never made it past the first round except in '82).

Immediate gratification age.  Scream and be heard that "I want it all and I want it now".

It's no secret that our goaltending has been critical in any success at all.  Not sure most teams don't have "something" that they count on.  Not many teams have it ALL in place because it's a moving parts deal and everyone is after the same ones.  We're not as bad as people make us out to be - some patience is required as we adapt to:  COVID, key players leaving/new players coming on board.  Some of the games we lost were ones we easily could've won had those goalpost shots been 2 mm's left or right.  Then the lack of confidence started to factor in.

The fire Benning/Green/everyone brigade often just barrels along like that in their tank.  But I feel like we owe it to the Peteys/Quinns/Brocks/Hogs/Demkos and Bos to exercise a bit of patience.  We celebrate wins because they get to.  That matters...we don't want them demotivated and broken down as they own some of the "failures"...it's important to also give some credit for wins, even if they're not pretty.  They hung in there.  

Well I guess I was being a little facetious but about acting the part of being long suffering, it's no act.  I've been watching the Canucks since 1970.  And as one recent thread painfully pointed out, the official tally is that we've got the worst losing record over that period.  I'm a loyal fan but one can't argue with statistics.  But you know I've also been quite optimistic and I never bash the team or get on the tank bandwagon even when we're down (and even when everyone else is doing that to protect their egos or whatever).  How else do you think I could have survived this roller coaster for 50 years?  Anyway, that's all the past and the past doesn't really matter.  It's all about winning the next game at hand and I think that we have a reasonable chance.  If we win our next two we leapfrog into a playoff position.  But it's not even about the next two, we have to focus on one win at a time.  Go Canucks Go!

2 hours ago, Grape said:

I'd argue that our drafting in the years 2007-2012 are responsible for our records in 2015 and beyond.

Prospects take about 3 years to develop and 4-7 years to get to their prime. So whoever we drafted in 07-10 should be entering their primes and take over as main contributors starting from 2015 and the players drafted from 2010 and onwards should slowly be infused into the lineup. 

But as we all know, the main contributors of the team were still the Sedins, drafted in 1998!.

And as we all know, we drafted White, Hodgson, Schroeder, and nobody in 2010 and none of them were on the team, let alone as NHL regulars.

2011: Jensen, in and out of the lineup starting 2013.

2012: Gaunce started to enter the lineup around 2015-16 season.

2013: Horvat in 2014-15 as a 4th line center but not a main contributor until 2017?.

So there you go. The reason why we sucked since 2015.

Players Benning drafted in 2014 and 2015 are about to or have already entered their prime, so that's Demko and Boeser. JV and Gaudette seems to be still trying to figure things out. We will see where Tryamkin is at.

Luckily, we drafted superstars in 2017, 2018 who didn't need 3 years to become main contributors. And we probably hit the jackpot again in 2019 with Hogz and Podz.

If our record is poor for the next couple of seasons, then that's on JB.

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Yeah, this would be a good year to sell and replenish the prospect cupboard.  

23 minutes ago, XxS3E3DI2N2SxX said:

not slamming the Nucks but this was in no way an oil painting and for the second straight game it looks as if we fought tooth and nail against a bottom feeder. 

Ottawa has a talented forward group but a weak goaltending and shallow defence depth. Their players are actually good but are inexperienced and that's why they are the bottom feeder.

And we have Demko, who is head and shoulder the best goalie in the North division since March.

Wait till EP returns, we should be able to beat Ottawa more soundingly.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bree2 said:

i didn't hear of any other offer did you?

These guys say Calgary and Edmonton, along with the Canucks.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/players/jacob-markstrom

This says Calgary and Detroit with maybe Edmonton

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/nhl-free-agency-rumblings-latest-ekman-larsson-markstrom-krug/

Note, these links don't say offer made, just interest in Jacob.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This isn't really true though.  People tend to just put their own narrative on this if it isn't factual (so don't buy in!).  We're not as bad as people have made us out to be...their suffering is exaggerated and gets louder in a strength in numbers way.  They lose perspective of how hard this deal really is.

Have we waited longer than anyone?  Sure.  But not "this" team and that's what gets thrown into the blender at times.  They own only the past few years, not all of it.

In the past 20 years (Canadian teams):

Canucks:

Won one round: 5/13

Won three rounds:  1/13

(Lost in first round:  6/13)

Last year:  Qualified/second round exit

Maple Leafs:

Made the playoffs:  8/20

Won one round: 2/8

Won two rounds: 1/8

(Lost in first round:  5/8)

Oilers:

Made the playoffs:  4/20

Won one round:  1/4

Won three rounds:  1/4

(Lost in first round:  2/4)

Flames:

Made the playoffs:  10/20 

Won one round:  1/9

Won three rounds:  1/9

(Lost in first round:  7/9)

Jets:  (10 year history)

Made the playoffs:  5/10

Won one round:  1/10

Won two rounds:  1/10

Won three rounds: 1/10

(Lost in first round:  2/10)

Canadiens: 

Won one round:  4/20

Senators:  

Made the playoffs:  12/20

Won one round:  3/20

Won three rounds:  1/20

Last year:  Did not make qualifying round

It's about keeping perspective.  Sure, half of this is accredited to the Sedin era and the success of the team 10 years ago but keep in mind that it's a transition, not a "jump" to replacing that team and starting over.  It doesn't happen overnight.  They thought it could be a retool and then rethought that.  So sure, we've missed most of the past 7 but do we look better than the lineup in 2014 in relation to promising young talent?

This is NOT to argue that some changes likely could help the current state and that we aren't "convincing" quite yet.  But is part of that could be attributed to the circumstances and not being able to really judge accurately during the schedule?  Somewhat.  The picture isn't clear because the schedule isn't normal and people who ignore than really aren't willing to accept any argument that goes against their own.

I feel like people who act like we're long suffering don't understand what that really can look like (check our earlier history when, over the first 20 years, we never made it past the first round except in '82).

Immediate gratification age.  Scream and be heard that "I want it all and I want it now".

It's no secret that our goaltending has been critical in any success at all.  Not sure most teams don't have "something" that they count on.  Not many teams have it ALL in place because it's a moving parts deal and everyone is after the same ones.  We're not as bad as people make us out to be - some patience is required as we adapt to:  COVID, key players leaving/new players coming on board.  Some of the games we lost were ones we easily could've won had those goalpost shots been 2 mm's left or right.  Then the lack of confidence started to factor in.

The fire Benning/Green/everyone brigade often just barrels along like that in their tank.  But I feel like we owe it to the Peteys/Quinns/Brocks/Hogs/Demkos and Bos to exercise a bit of patience.  We celebrate wins because they get to.  That matters...we don't want them demotivated and broken down as they own some of the "failures"...it's important to also give some credit for wins, even if they're not pretty.  They hung in there.  

I somebody tells me that professional writes for Province or Sun or any other printed media write better then Deb I would  disagree. One of advantages of the internet era- to discover talents. Thank you, Deb.

Actually, there are few posters on this forum who, in my opinion, can make living as professional sport writes.

• Like 1