The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 22, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

This is where “Fire Travis Green” comes from. You’ll notice that most people who love Benning unconditionally absolutely hate Travis Green. Then there are some at an even higher tier that like Travis Green cause Benning does, then pass the blame to Brown and Baumer. 

Travis Green isn’t the problem. If he was, we aren’t deep enough to even tell. For example: Let’s say Benn throws a muffin across the Dzone to clear it out and the pass gets picked off and ends up in the net. You’ll see comments like “that’s Baumer’s defence” 

No

That’s not Baumer’s defence that’s Jim Benning’s defence. How is coaching in any way responsible for a play like that? 

Another beauty is “ all we do is dump and chase” Green is an idiot. 

No

We don’t have the players who can enter the zone and cycle the puck. EP does it with his line mates you’ll see it in the fully healthy top 6 but the rest of the team simply doesn’t have the talent or creativity to play a puck possession style. We dump and chase cause that’s all guys like Virtanen and Sutter can handle. They’re straight line players. 

We suck on the power play. Shoooot. Well, we are missing the most fundamental piece of a power play. We have no point shot. Why would a PK spread out to cover the point when they can just box in the middle and cover all the lanes?

We have no identity. Even with drafting, what is Benning trying to draft here? What brand are we building? The only thing I ever hear him say is he is building a fast team. Ok, so he is building a fast team but we are going to cry about Travis green playing a dump and chase style? Honestly, the chemistry, the style, the brand is all messed up. It’s a mess. We have players that just don’t complement each other. It’s like Travis Green is the the father of all these kids he is trying to pre arrange marriages for and none of them really fit or have any chemistry together. 

Well said! 

Thankfully the top 6 are young, and there is time to salvage the youth, and make sure we don't blow the best talent we have ever seen (at one time). 

The next 4 years will be interesting to say the least. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

This is where “Fire Travis Green” comes from. You’ll notice that most people who love Benning unconditionally absolutely hate Travis Green. Then there are some at an even higher tier that like Travis Green cause Benning does, then pass the blame to Brown and Baumer. 

Travis Green isn’t the problem. If he was, we aren’t deep enough to even tell. For example: Let’s say Benn throws a muffin across the Dzone to clear it out and the pass gets picked off and ends up in the net. You’ll see comments like “that’s Baumer’s defence” 

No

That’s not Baumer’s defence that’s Jim Benning’s defence. How is coaching in any way responsible for a play like that? 

Another beauty is “ all we do is dump and chase” Green is an idiot. 

No

We don’t have the players who can enter the zone and cycle the puck. EP does it with his line mates you’ll see it in the fully healthy top 6 but the rest of the team simply doesn’t have the talent or creativity to play a puck possession style. We dump and chase cause that’s all guys like Virtanen and Sutter can handle. They’re straight line players. 

We suck on the power play. Shoooot. Well, we are missing the most fundamental piece of a power play. We have no point shot. Why would a PK spread out to cover the point when they can just box in the middle and cover all the lanes?

We have no identity. Even with drafting, what is Benning trying to draft here? What brand are we building? The only thing I ever hear him say is he is building a fast team. Ok, so he is building a fast team but we are going to cry about Travis green playing a dump and chase style? Honestly, the chemistry, the style, the brand is all messed up. It’s a mess. We have players that just don’t complement each other. It’s like Travis Green is the the father of all these kids he is trying to pre arrange marriages for and none of them really fit or have any chemistry together. 

Spot on.  At the end of the day, Green can only work with what he's given and that falls on the GM.

At most, Green can put players into positions to succeed but he can't make them any better than their talent permits of them.  The same goes for other coaches.  Of course, some coaches are better than others at this but our issues are hardly based on around deployment.

I'm fairly indifferent to Green staying or going (apparently, that makes me a "massive Green supporter" according to some here) but sacking him/Baumgartner/Brown, especially this late in the season, is futile.  No coach is taking 5 good forwards & 4 NHL-level defencemen and making the playoffs.  It's a miracle we are around or at 0.500% with this team after how badly it got gutted over the off-season.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Spot on.  At the end of the day, Green can only work with what he's given and that falls on the GM.

At most, Green can put players into positions to succeed but he can't make them any better than their talent permits of them.  The same goes for other coaches.  Of course, some coaches are better than others at this but our issues are hardly based on around deployment.

I'm fairly indifferent to Green staying or going (apparently, that makes me a "massive Green supporter" according to some here) but sacking him/Baumgartner/Brown, especially this late in the season, is futile.  No coach is taking 5 good forwards & 4 NHL-level defencemen and making the playoffs.  It's a miracle we are around or at 0.500% with this team after how badly it got gutted over the off-season.

Another unpopular opinion. Our prospect pool is crap. I don’t want to hear the “they all graduated” excuse either. We have been at the bottom half of the standings for years. We should have players ready to come up and play. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Quinn Hughes looks like he is playing for his next contract and not for his team.  I know that it's probably not true, but what else can explain the amount of times that he's responsible for odd-man rushes coming back the other way when he gets caught pinching.  

He put up another -3.  

He doesn't deserve a penny more then Sergachev who signed for 4.8 mil/year. 

28 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Another unpopular opinion. Our prospect pool is crap. I don’t want to hear the “they all graduated” excuse either. We have been at the bottom half of the standings for years. We should have players ready to come up and play. 

Kind of hard to call up players from the AHL when they have to spend 14 days in quarantine. You want your prospects playing. Already people are losing it with OJ and 

DiPietro being on the taxi squad. Covid has made a very screwy season, with different rules, different divisions. No fans. If there's a write off season, I'm ok with it being this year. Our prospect pool is better than when we had Hunter Shinkaruk, and Jordan Subban. 

30 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well I guess the good thing about this game is we can finally stop talking about a playoff push 

Because we lost one game?

You didn’t actually think they were going to run the table in the final 21 games did you?

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because we lost one game?

You didn’t actually think they were going to run the table in the final 21 games did you?

Maybe not but, because of Canuck's performance earlier in the season, losing one game in regulation is a huge blow to any playoff chances. If Vancouver best Montreal in the last game in Regulation then this loss wouldn't be that bad. 

But here we are. I predict Vancouver will have a CBJ run in that season they had a late season push but just miss out the last spot.

Just when we worked so hard to get back to .500, we lose Bo but even before that play lethargic uninspired hockey. I think the Montreal series took it all out of them, they were not ready for this and Winnipeg didn't even play well.

The long layoff is much needed but we need to split this series, if we don't at least split every series and win the remaining Ottawa games (and hopefully do better than split the Calgary games) we're out.

5 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Can you tell me what my horoscope will be tomorrow? I'm a Libra.

You are trying to avoid spending on worthless stuff. It is advised for you to  invest in small savings to boost your financial health. Buy bitcoin..... your gonna be broke by Dec lol so save up on all those Christmas presents.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Kind of hard to call up players from the AHL when they have to spend 14 days in quarantine. You want your prospects playing. Already people are losing it with OJ and 

DiPietro being on the taxi squad. Covid has made a very screwy season, with different rules, different divisions. No fans. If there's a write off season, I'm ok with it being this year. Our prospect pool is better than when we had Hunter Shinkaruk, and Jordan Subban. 

If we lose again.  Play to get the first overall pick.  If u can't win try to beat the system and tank.  Trade that pick and LE for McDavid make it happen JB we are counting on you 

I am hoping that JB is making it clear to other GMs that we are keen to be sellers at the TDL.

Any expiring contract should be on the table. He should be talking with Edler, Hamonic, Benn, Sutter about their NMC and m-NTC's so that he can make something happen asap.

These are the expiring contracts, which I would be happy to exchange for picks and retain up to 50% on any contract:

Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Hamonic, Benn, Vesey, Boyd, Chatfield, Sautner, Baertschi

Both Pearson and Sutter (currently injured) should be ready or very close to ready to play by April 12th.

13 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I am hoping that JB is making it clear to other GMs that we are keen to be sellers at the TDL.

Any expiring contract should be on the table. He should be talking with Edler, Hamonic, Benn, Sutter about their NMC and m-NTC's so that he can make something happen asap.

These are the expiring contracts, which I would be happy to exchange for picks and retain up to 50% on any contract:

Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Hamonic, Benn, Vesey, Boyd, Chatfield, Sautner, Baertschi

Both Pearson and Sutter (currently injured) should be ready or very close to ready to play by April 12th.

Do you think they're faking injuries to avoid being traded?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Well, maybe next time, Edler can shoot the puck at McDavid instead of Horvat and we might make the playoffs. 

Yep, Edler certainly was a One Man Wrecking crew tonight!  Thank god it's his last year!  I hope JB does not renew all those expiring contracts of our bottom 6 fwds, Edler and Benn.   He should try and trade as many of them as possible to get anything at all for them before they walk away for nothing (Which is Jim's specialty). This team desperately need to toughen & speed up to be contenders otherwise we'll be another Oilers team for the next 10 years with a few 1st rounders and a bunch of leftovers and rookie coaching spinning our wheels like we've been doing for the last decade.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Canucks odds of making the playoffs after tonight's blowout against Winnipeg are down to 6.2%.  In other words; Not a chance in hell!

Weren’t they like 8% before?

Means nothing when it can change so drastically in a couple weeks.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

With four regular center men out, Half or 2 out of our 4 only dependable scorers left (Boeser & Miller), Montreal up on us by 2 points with 5 games in hand, with only 22 games left  for us (None against Montreal, which could help us catch them) and TG at the helm.....I'd have to say...............

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtBSyFJIDRD6mn2VQPZ23B3VdshZ3He5hvtw&usqp=CAU

Edited by RU SERIOUS

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If I recall, I believe they were actually up to like 13% or so last week before the Montreal Series.  But it dropped dramatically after that, as we really needed to win both those games outright to have a snowballs chance in hell to pass them in the standings because we do not play them again this year and they are up by 2 with 5 games in hand which means they'd have to completely disintegrate as a team and we'd have to go on a record win streak for us to have a chance to pass them and with ALL our centers now gone on injury and half of our only 4 dependable scores out - We're Cooked !