The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 22, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

13 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Goaltending coach should get credit for that.  Still a legitimate prospect though.  Disingenuous to state Benning inherited nothing but Horvat imho.  How many people really thought either Sedin would win the Art Ross trophy in 2008?  Marty St Louis I think was also put on waivers before he was a superstar.

JB inherited only Horvat in terms of prospects, you know what actually matter in a rebuild?

Ok I'll throw in Markstrom but that is more of a product of MG's mistakes, guess Horvat too so JB inherited Luongo in a sense. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Goaltending coach should get credit for that.  Still a legitimate prospect though.  Disingenuous to state Benning inherited nothing but Horvat imho.  How many people really thought either Sedin would win the Art Ross trophy in 2008?

I think the fair argument is Gillis drained the pond of prospects and picks, but it damn near worked too. 

If Jim was fired tomorrow, we'd still have by far the best U25 group the team has ever seen. Yes Jim has dropped the ball on other things but the depth and quality of our young players has never been this good.

If he can somehow shed Loui's salary we can actually build a competitive team for next year. He's been trying to avoid sending along a 1st with Loui but thats the price of that mistake, and we could survive that given the rest of the young talent. I hope it can be done without the 1st but thats probably not realistic. 

And just to preempt some on here, thats was Lord Dubas had to do. 

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

JB inherit led only Horvat in terms of prospects, you know what actually matter in a rebuild?

We can’t defend worth  **** without a Vezina caliber goalie.  How about getting a coach that actually implements some kind of system that doesn’t rely on the goalie bailing you out every game?  How many years should Benning get before hiring a legit NHL head coach?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We can’t defend worth  **** without a Vezina caliber goalie.  How about getting a coach that actually implements some kind of system that doesn’t rely on the goalie bailing you out every game?  How many years should Benning get before hiring a legit NHL head coach?

Hey I have a great record calling for the firing of Baumer and Brown.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

True, but over the years as he patiently but up the team, it became clear his method was working. In just under 7 years from the date he was hired, the Jets made it to the Conference Finals, and he was nominated for GM of the Year.

We're about to hit 7 years with Benning. Great drafting, but numerous other errors that lead me to believe he'll never be able to build a winner.

That conference final was their peak though. Their defence is a shadow of the 2018 team. I would be surprised if the current Jets ever make it past the 2nd round.

5 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

That conference final was their peak though. Their defence is a shadow of the 2018 team. I would be surprised if the current Jets ever make it past the 2nd round.

Their defense is OK. If they added a top four D, they’d have one of the better D’s in the NHL.

Maurice is not a good coach though so they’ll not win anything regardless of whatever addition they make on the blueline.

9 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Hey I have a great record calling for the firing of Baumer and Brown.

I mean, with a legit offensive phenom like Hughes manning one of the points (lol, remember the days of Bryon Ritchie at that spot during the Vigneault days?), how hard is it to draw up power play plans/strategies?

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I sure hope he's alright.  And I agree....some are so wound up about their petition for an upheaval that they lose sight of the fact that they're human beings out there.   I think that we're starting to "miss" Petey out there and those who don't value his worth here won't see that.

It's ok to criticize the team....if that's all you do it becomes a matter of likely being more "your" deal theirs as far as I'm concerned.  Life is what you make it, not what others make it for you.  This game is one for our entertainment...through the highs and the lows.

I tend to hate hard on the other teams but in hearing that some of the Jets helped give him a push to get off the ice is part of that - I respect that little move a whole lot.  When you see someone struggling that's generally the first "concern".  I appreciate the fact that they showed concern as human beings rather than ignoring him as the opponent as he struggled. 

(I shut it down after the game .... had a headache that I knew would be exacerbated if I stayed to hear the moaning).

You better now Deb?

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think the fair argument is Gillis drained the pond of prospects and picks, but it damn near worked too. 

If Jim was fired tomorrow, we'd still have by far the best U25 group the team has ever seen. Yes Jim has dropped the ball on other things but the depth and quality of our young players has never been this good.

If he can somehow shed Loui's salary we can actually build a competitive team for next year. He's been trying to avoid sending along a 1st with Loui but thats the price of that mistake, and we could survive that given the rest of the young talent. I hope it can be done without the 1st but thats probably not realistic. 

And just to preempt some on here, thats was Lord Dubas had to do. 

I largely agree. I would add that the Louie issue is not so much just the price of that mistake as the price of that mistake compounded by a flat cap from covid.... Jim probably should have seen that coming though and offloaded him last February :P

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yep, Edler certainly was a One Man Wrecking crew tonight!  Thank god it's his last year!  I hope JB does not renew all those expiring contracts of our bottom 6 fwds, Edler and Benn.   He should try and trade as many of them as possible to get anything at all for them before they walk away for nothing (Which is Jim's specialty). This team desperately need to toughen & speed up to be contenders otherwise we'll be another Oilers team for the next 10 years with a few 1st rounders and a bunch of leftovers and rookie coaching spinning our wheels like we've been doing for the last decade.

LOL Edler is so valuable to the team. I was joking about injuring McDavid but I think Edler is still a solid top 4 and I would take him back next year in a heartbeat

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

I saw one and it was a decent one. To MacEwen. But that’s his one good pass this month. 

Rooster made a nice pass from the corner on Gaudette's tip in goal 2 games ago against Montreal.

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

it was awesome of the Jets to help Bo off the ice. but where were our Canucks? i didn't see not one of them help Bo!  embarrassing!

The play was on going Bree the ref didn’t blow the whistle

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, bree2 said:

it was awesome of the Jets to help Bo off the ice. but where were our Canucks? i didn't see not one of them help Bo!  embarrassing!

I believe the game was still being played bree

Dont quote me though?

7 minutes ago, bree2 said:

They were playing the game at the other end of the ice. Would you have like them to skate over to Horvat and leave Demko helpless to stop a fifth goal? If you want to get ornery with anyone, get ornery with the useless piece of crap officials who could have stopped the play. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

A 24 year old Tanev and 24 year old Markstrom were nobodies?

You’re right, they werent nobodies, but a goalie at 24 who spent his first 3 years between Utica and Vancouver and then struggled to share a net with Nilsson, didnt show much promise.

Tanev is not a Doughty, Ekblad, Letang etc type of player. He is a solid dman, but not one that is the core Dman that gets you to a cup. Would you consider Tanev your core dman at 24 moving forward? Or would you consider Hughes at 21 your core dman? Horvat was 20, thats 10 years we can get out of a player before they are ultimately on the decline. Tanev and Markstrom gave is 5-6 years.

Vancouver wasnt in a rebuild stage at Tanev and Markys age of 24. They were still trying to give the Sedins a shot at a cup. At age 28/29 for Marky and Tanev is when the rebuild begun. They are now past their best before dates. So yea at 24 and a couple years away from starting a rebuild, they kinda were nobodies, look where they ended up. They were free to walk in free agency and are now in Calgary where they are going to end their careers in the dark times of another organization. They have spent their entire careers (outside of a couple years for Tanev) on teams trending downward. Markstrom and Tanev were good for us, but they are too old to go through the rest of a rebuild. Bo still has a handful of very good years.
Lets face it, Tanevs body has taken a serious beating and Calgary is like the 2013-14 John Tortorella Canucks, they stink. Its stale. 

5 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Bo is more important than the game, they should have conceded the goal. At the very least, someone should have jumped off our bench to help, even if it meant a too many men penalty.

(first attempt at wearing the rose-coloured glasses, so forgive me if I didn't do this well....I promise to get better!)

Well played.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1