The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks claim Travis Boyd off waivers

22 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Then you're personal bias against the Leafs would work against you.

You may not like the Leafs that doesn't mean they aren't a very good, entertaining, fun to watch, team with many star players..

I can think of many NHL teams I would have below the Leafs on my list..

For me BUF would be at the bottom of my list. No stability in management or coaching and a losing culture.

It’s true, my personal bias against the Leafs is showing.

What’s irritating is the whole Benning vs. Shanahan thing.

Couple things here, the teams did not take the same route. We were still loyal to the Sedins. Call it what you may if they should have said hell to them but they did their best to put together a team while they were still playing.

Also the Leafs were never anything like the Canucks before the Leafs so called Shanahan plan. They’ve hurt way way longer then we have and honestly not much separates the 2 teams to this day. 

I can’t compare the 2 even though people like to. Totally different timelines. For this guy to come out and say we should be striving to be like the Leafs is an absolute joke. I’ll give the Leafs this, they did win the lottery one year so good for them there. 

There are lots of teams below the Leafs for sure so maybe I blew it outta proportion. 

• Cheers 4

If we do trade Sutter, Roussel, or Pearson, I would bet it’s a hockey trade rather than for picks or prospects.

If we can do another Vanek for Motte like deal that’s what we should be looking at. We could rebuild our bottom 6 this season rather than overpaying in the offseason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They can always convince good old Toronto boys to sign with them.

Not to mention playing in the center of the universe with Matthews is gonna boost a players profile and payday much more than it would have in Vancouver during those same years. Many reasons why cheap UFAs would have chosen them over us.

And we could do the same with Vancouver/British Columbia boys.

As for playing with Matthews, there's only 4 players at a time who can be on the ice with him.  Not sure how that's a selling point for 4th liners lol.  In any event, could the Canucks have not (theoretically) sold playing with Horvat two years ago and Pettersson/Hughes now to free-agents to reduce the prices/terms?

4 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

And we could do the same with Vancouver/British Columbia boys.

As for playing with Matthews, there's only 4 players at a time who can be on the ice with him.  Not sure how that's a selling point for 4th liners lol.  In any event, could the Canucks have not (theoretically) sold playing with Horvat two years ago and Pettersson/Hughes now to free-agents to reduce the prices/terms?

100x more Ontario boys to choose from.

Toronto had very weak top 9 depth at that point so it wasn’t hard for any winger to earn a spot playing with him.

You think playing with Horvat in a shutdown role was appealing to free agents? I think you’re missing the point. Players wanna go where they can inflate their stats. It’s why so many vets were willing to sign in Edmonton despite them being a tire fire up until recently.

We haven’t signed inflated forward contracts since Pettersson and Hughes have arrived so that theory is bunk.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Me_ said:

If someone is offering a 1st for Sutter...

There was an article a while ago about Toronto “could” offer a 1st for Pearson...

Jesus H Christ man, you never said a 1st for Sutter, I'll drive him there

NOw THATS VALUE!!

but back to what we are discussing, I would hands down take Sutter and Beagle as my bottom 6 centers way more than Gauds and Boyd, right now at this moment in time. 

Go Canucks Go

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Jesus H Christ man, you never said a 1st for Sutter, I'll drive him there

NOw THATS VALUE!!

but back to what we are discussing, I would hands down take Sutter and Beagle as my bottom 6 centers way more than Gauds and Boyd, right now at this moment in time. 

Go Canucks Go

Absolutely. Sutter and Beagle have stabilized the bottom six to no end.

Gaudette is still streaky and Boyd is an unknown in a Canucks uniform still.

Absolutely bang on.

Money well spent in order to teach our youth what it’s like to be an NHLer; something Edmonton never did.

Mediocrity year after year until some good sense was brought in; Ken Holland.

I’d rather have Jim Benning as our GM for the simple fact that he’s drafting superstar after superstar for the Canucks.

And he’s a hockey man. 

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 4

4 hours ago, ohmy said:

You want to be an organization that hasn't won a cup in longer than we have and have been in perpetual mediocrity for what seems like forever? When was the last time they were in a cup final? Yeah no I think I'm good being a Canucks fan.

1967, 54 years ago. Also their last cup. In the last 15 years they have only made the playoffs 5 times and lost in the first round every time. If AV wants to model himself after a loser, fill yer boots boy!

Edited by CaptKirk888
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we do trade Sutter, Roussel, or Pearson, I would bet it’s a hockey trade rather than for picks or prospects.

If we can do another Vanek for Motte like deal that’s what we should be looking at. We could rebuild our bottom 6 this season rather than overpaying in the offseason.

No one will take Roussel. He's signed for next season at 3mill. 

A similar player and cap would come back which makes it pointless especially with the 2 week covid quarantine

43 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

But that would imply the Leafs have been contending for many seasons since they don't have any anchor contracts bringing them down.  Yet, Benning was brought in the same time as Shanahan.

Something isn't adding up here ;)

In general nothing adds up for you. You'd better cheer for that superior team called the Leafs.

4 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Spezza said he would retire if he was claimed. For that reason and just to put the screw to the leafs I’d pick him up hahaha

Lol that would be hilarious. It would make a fun conversation topic for a couple of weeks and Eastern media TSN presenters would have on air break downs if we took 3 of their forwards..  lol

And all for free...

We take all their forward depth with Vesey and Boyd already in hand. Add Spezza.. Good look with a long playoff run without depth.  

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

But that would imply the Leafs have been contending for many seasons since they don't have any anchor contracts bringing them down.  Yet, Benning was brought in the same time as Shanahan.

Something isn't adding up here ;)

Benning was told to re tool and try to make the playoffs until the Sedins retired. 

Our re build started later than theirs. But they've got a good team now.  Their kids are growing and maturing together. They are starting to add depth to their team and start playing good 2 way hockey...They should be ready to start making Cup runs now.. 

They may go out early again but they're knocking on the door...

We are about 3 years behind them in our rebuild. 

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Lol that would be hilarious. It would make a fun conversation topic for a couple of weeks and Eastern media TSN presenters would have on air break downs if we took 3 of their forwards..  lol

And all for free...

We take all their forward depth with Vesey and Boyd already in hand. Add Spezza.. Good look with a long playoff run without depth.  

I just read an article that it was good for the Leafs cause it frees up $125k in cap space to make moves lmao.

Yeah I could get use to this lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

The greedy selfish players they have at the top don’t allow any money to be put towards other parts of their team B)

Are you saying that you wouldn't pay 11mil for a right winger who's never reached the 30 goal mark?

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

100x more Ontario boys to choose from.

Toronto had very weak top 9 depth at that point so it wasn’t hard for any winger to earn a spot playing with him.

You think playing with Horvat in a shutdown role was appealing to free agents? I think you’re missing the point. Players wanna go where they can inflate their stats. It’s why so many vets were willing to sign in Edmonton despite them being a tire fire up until recently.

We haven’t signed inflated forward contracts since Pettersson and Hughes have arrived so that theory is bunk.

Sample size is a good point but doesn't entirely factor for the full reason.

I wouldn't really consider Bozak, Kadri, van Riemdsdyk, C. Brown, and the likes of Marner, Hyman, and Nylander "very weak top 9" depth.  Speaking of Hyman and Nylander, they've been Matthews' linemates for the majority of his time so not sure where this notion of all these FA wingers had an easier time getting spots playing with Matthews comes from.  Only Marleau (and now Thornton) would have seen extended periods of time playing with Matthews, not these 4th line types.

Meh, we've been against the cap since Hughes made his debut.  At the same time, we did sign Ferland the first off-season after Pettersson's first season.  So I guess we have the cap to thank but the theory isn't entirely bunk for that reason.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

And all for free...

Yeah as much as dislike the leaf nation we don’t want to be douche canoes I’m happy that all teams allowed the vet have his last dance.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like free things. 

Nothing is for free my friend..

Maybe Leafs will take our depth and screw us in a cpl years when we hoping for a deep playoff run.. 

Until then we laugh at them.

Leafs mgmt must be choked right now..