The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 24, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I didn't mind what I saw so far from Juolevi but he has a long way to go before he avoids that title.

I don’t think so. He’s shown growth in all facets of the game. 

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Also depends on your definition; is he a not a bust as long as he's a regular NHLer, or would he have to perform to the level we would expect out of a 5th overall pick (#2D)?

Well, expectations and perceptions are different from person to person, so each will have their own take on Juolevi. If Juolevi is able to carve out a solid NHL career, calling him a bust makes no sense. 

And while draft position does follow a player throughout their career for statistical purposes, it becomes (at least to me) less and less relevant with each passing season. 

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Agree.

I'm not holding my breath for a Benn trade though.  I hope I'm wrong because it would be nice to get something from an expiring asset, but I don't see management wanting to get closer to a scenario where Juolevi, Chatfield and Rafferty play in the same game.

I still think they sign him to two years at a 6th Dman rate and expose him in the ED.  I think Benn will do that gladly.  Whether he plays in Seattle or Vancouver, he is closer to Victoria than he would be in any other NHL city.  He is at the stage of his career where on a decent team he'll spend more time in the pressbox than on the ice, but in Vancouver he can still be a solid #7 and slide in if there are injuries.  In Seattle he has a chance to compete for a 5-6 spot and be that veteran leadership that young teams need to gel.

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

when a owner comes out and says he stands by a losing team and isn't holding anyone accountable, ya I would say that's a bad owner. How can he stand by and say everything is ok? The  gm has wasted so much of his money. At least there should be an argument as to why Benning is still here after almost 8 years. They have won nothing and he wants two more years.

Now Benning has been here 8 years? By the the season’s end you’ll be saying he’s been here 10 years! Lol. It wiii officially be

7 years this may.

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Canucks vs Florida 2016, there was a semi lame 'bench brawl' at the end of a game.

Gallant beaked off to the Sedins that they should kill themselves like Rick Rypien.

Gallant will never ever coach in Vancouver.

Derek Dorsett confirmed that it wasn't Gallant who made the comment that the Sedins referred to as having "crossed the line". Gallant went off and started screaming at the Canucks during the bench brawl but, in Dorsett's words, " if Gallant knew what was said, he wouldn't have reacted like he did".

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

Derek Dorsett confirmed that it wasn't Gallant who made the comment that the Sedins referred to as having "crossed the line". Gallant went off and started screaming at the Canucks during the bench brawl but, in Dorsett's words, " if Gallant knew what was said, he wouldn't have reacted like he did".

Can’t wash the stink of being a Bruin even if you change teams ( Shawn Thornton).  Was and will always be a piece of ****.

38 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Now Benning has been here 8 years? By the the season’s end you’ll be saying he’s been here 10 years! Lol. It wiii officially be

7 years this may.

7 or 8 years does it really matter? It’s 7 years too long. He hasn’t surrounded the core players with other good players. That is a fact. You want to keep him for drafting go ahead but we will continue to hover around mediocrity until he is gone. He has had more than enough time to fix things. After almost every year he said they need to acquire more depth. Well I think it’s safe to say he’s failed in that regard. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

7 or 8 years does it really matter? It’s 7 years too long. He hasn’t surrounded the core players with other good players. That is a fact. You want to keep him for drafting go ahead but we will continue to hover around mediocrity until he is gone. He has had more than enough time to fix things. After almost every year he said they need to acquire more depth. Well I think it’s safe to say he’s failed in that regard. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Riddle me this..... when did the rebuild start?

7 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

IMO, beginning of the 2018/19 season, when the Sedins left and Bo became captain. So, it's really only been 3 years.

Just because they were lousy during the Sedins' last 5 or so years, doesn't mean they were in rebuild mode. They just weren't a very good team, ending up with them getting some high picks year after year. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Never mind asking... How long have other rebuilds taken?

Seven years is on the shorter side of fully rebuilding a team.

Not exactly a rebuild but the LA Kings and the Rangers have rebounded nicely after their retool/rebuild. 

Leafs also took a couple of years to rebuild. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don’t think so. He’s shown growth in all facets of the game. 

Well, expectations and perceptions are different from person to person, so each will have their own take on Juolevi. If Juolevi is able to carve out a solid NHL career, calling him a bust makes no sense. 

And while draft position does follow a player throughout their career for statistical purposes, it becomes (at least to me) less and less relevant with each passing season. 

He's not a bust if he makes the nhl and contributes to the success of his team in whatever role he plays.  How many drafted players even make it? Right.

He has shown some real promise this year and while he may not be a top 2 D man (though he may) he certainly has a higher ceiling than Benn.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

What exactly since 2011 has been good?

Getting dummied by LA?  Swept by the Sharks?  Embarrassed by the Flames?

Or are we venturing into drafts as "happy" moments?

Canucks made the playoffs 5 times, won 4 playoff series and went the cup final. Those are good memories. Rather that than what Sabres fans got - 1 first round playoff loss, then 9 straight years of failure.

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Not exactly a rebuild but the LA Kings and the Rangers have rebounded nicely after their retool/rebuild. 

Leafs also took a couple of years to rebuild. 

LA are in a weak arse division. That's a mirage and as you note more of a retool as they have a LOT of key vets still in place, in prominent roles.

Rangers are far from a power house, have won two draft lotteries and have been able to lure top players to the Big Apple despite their rebuilding. That's hardly a fair or reasonable comparison (to ANY other rebuilding team). 

Toronto has been rebuilding since what, 2006 (and also won a lotto)? I should hope something like a dozen years later they started to look something like a competitive team a couple years ago.

Go ahead and look at teams like WPG, COL etc. It's an 8-10 year window to rebuild. And that's if things go reasonably well.

25 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

We didn’t actually rebuild. We added as we subtracted. For me a rebuild is a gut job then build from the ground up. We never unloaded any assets for futures in that sense. There is nothing wrong with doing it on the fly, Boston did it in the fly. 
The difference between going full rebuild and building on the fly is management. We have seen many good and bad examples of both methods.  You have a good management team with a great plan, they’ll execute regardless of the method. The only thing we might have done differently than most rebuilds on the fly is we built our core on the fly. A lot of teams that kinda reset, like the kings for example, rebuild around an existing core. When the sedins left we were basically without a core so that’s a little more tricky. To be honest, we’ve done a really good job of replacing the core like this. Everything surrounding the core is totally messed up though. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Chicago Blackhawks:

2005/2006 2nd worst team in NHL

2009/2010 Stanley Cup

2012/2013 President's Trophy and Stanley Cup

They had missed the playoffs 9 of 10 years going back to 97/98.

That's 12 years until their 2010 cup.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

But they weren't rebuilding for 12 years. They only started rebuilding in 2007 when Rocky Wirtz took over the team from his father

Vast swaths of that core (and support pieces) were drafted long before 2007.

That is completely intellectually dishonest.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

IMO, beginning of the 2018/19 season, when the Sedins left and Bo became captain. So, it's really only been 3 years.

Just because they were lousy during the Sedins' last 5 or so years, doesn't mean they were in rebuild mode. They just weren't a very good team, ending up with them getting some high picks year after year. 

DING DING WE GOT A WINNER