The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Shayne Gostisbehere, Nick Holden, Liam O’Brien

As much as I wish the Canucks will pick up Gostisbehere.... maybe too many chefs in the kitchen?  It would be hard for him to put up points if he gets minimal PP time.  

Unless the Canucks really split into 2 very strong PP units, like have Horvat running the 2nd PP unit or something.

Not sure how the Canucks can fit him into the regular lineup unless some team is willing to pay a premium to take a defenseman from the Canucks.  

Gostisbehere gets paid a decent amount, but if he can reclaim his former form I think it's a reasonable price for a guy so talented. I honestly have no idea if anyone will take a flyer (no pun intended) on him, but if someone does it's a potential high reward move.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Well, that's a bit odd.  11 points in 25 games is pretty good is it not?  He's a -1 so on the surface doesn't appear to be a major liability?  I would imagine he gets claimed. 

I doubt he gets claimed at that cap hit with that term remaining. He has been on waivers during pre covid times if memory serves me correctly and passed through. Provorov leap frogged him and I guess his big downfall in the past was poor play in his own end I think??

19 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

As much as I wish the Canucks will pick up Gostisbehere.... maybe too many chefs in the kitchen?  It would be hard for him to put up points if he gets minimal PP time.  

Unless the Canucks really split into 2 very strong PP units, like have Horvat running the 2nd PP unit or something.

Not sure how the Canucks can fit him into the regular lineup unless some team is willing to pay a premium to take a defenseman from the Canucks.  

Having Myers, Hughes, and Gostisbehere on the same defense would mean we would lose every game 7-5. 

We need more guys who can match up against other teams best players and not more guys who need to play against other teams' bottom sixes to be successful. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ghost will be 28 next month, his deal isn't stupid long, and the money isn't outrageous if a team has cap space. Wouldn't be surprised to see a bottom feeding squad like Detroit grab him. 

Fair point for sure, they could then trade M. Staal to a contender for whatever they can get and get a replacement player who should help bring more offense from the back end. Could also move him in a year or 2 with retention to get value back on him if he turned his game around

Canucks don't have the cap room to put in a claim so let's just stop all the crazy talk about us claiming a 4.5m D who just happens to be yet another Lefty...who WON"T get to play his off side here as coach Green is quite against it

3 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

I am not someone that wants AV back - that ship has sailed but you very much underappreciate what he has accomplished through his career - so far.

Over 700 wins - 8th All-time - only 4 active coaches with more and only Joel Quenneville has a higher win % 

Jack Adams winner - runner up 4x including last year with many feeling he should have won it

SC Finals - 2x 

Presidents Trophy - 3x

Division Champs - 7x

Playoff Appearances - 12x

You can't dismiss his accomplishments because he had a couple of great goalies, so have so many other great coaches. Obviously winning a Cup is always the goal but so many great coaches haven't either, it's not that easy.

If a man lacking a brain (ala scarecrow from wizard of Oz) can do all that, just imagine what you could do as an NHL coach I am sure you would make Scotty Bowman look like an amateur.  

He has impressive coaching stats for sure, my question is: Was it the right decision to call out his young 22yr old G and make a statement basically blasting his work ethic in practice?

It could turn out to be tough love and the player responds, doesn't always work though...look at Virtanen

I'd be surprised if Florida doesn't grab him for free...then flip him in the summer for a bag of pucks when Ekblad is back and skating...with LTIR they have the capspace for his hit...and come playoffs (if Ekblad makes it back for a deep run) then he would provide some depth insurance.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ABNuck said:

I'd be surprised if Florida doesn't grab him for free...then flip him in the summer for a bag of pucks when Ekblad is back and skating...with LTIR they have the capspace for his hit...and come playoffs (if Ekblad makes it back for a deep run) then he would provide some depth insurance.

This is actually a possibility i think.

3 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

this might be what they are hoping for in Philly. Not sure the term is what they want tho in FLA.

They could probably nab Montour for a 3rd. 

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The last thing this team needs is another undersized defenseman who's a gamble in his own end being coached by Nolan Baumgartner. 

The Average/Oversized guys under Baummer are no better, so your argument is moot... Until we have a better staff we will continue to concede shots/attempts at a higher rate than we generate