The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

14 minutes ago, bree2 said:

i don't mind what Pearson got.  horvat is probably happy about it.  some on here think the are the capologists and every player should make under a million. i would bet Pearson  has a better year next season. he is only 28 years old.

Horvat appears to be stoked as per his instagram story. He'll be 29 in August so his contract will expire shortly before he's 32, ain't the end of the world. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Not sure what all the commotion is about. His first 19 games with the canucks was solid. He was on pace to score 50 pts last year, and played well in the playoffs. He's responsible defensively, has chemistry with Horvat, and he's only 28. He was okay this year. The entire team was bad this year. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, IRR said:

Lol! You people / the media praise them for trending upward and what they accomplished in the bubble last year.....but, now ya'll don't like a signing, so now they've haven't produced anything and most players should be shipped off! Get the f outta here!!  

Exactly, it was nothing but rainbows and unicorns for the direction they were headed, now they're suddenly a rudderless ship?  Pearson is a solid player and provides good leadership and you need players like that.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This is a little much.   Name one 29ish UFA player, who's scored around the same as Pearson the last two seasons, who signed for 2 million?    Name some guys that were too just so i can educate myself (i'm not talking about old guys who've already made their money and are off to TO for their swan song). 

My compression is more on players with more offensive upside but got comparable contracts to Person not exactly that number. Toffolli and Hoffmann are good examples, 4 Million with 2x or more of the offensive output than Pearson, so seems 2 Million makes sense. 

And before mentioning "character and intangibles". Canucks already paid a premium for these "intangible" players, and it didn't really work out. 

10 minutes ago, IRR said:

Lol! You people / the media praise them for trending upward and what they accomplished in the bubble last year.....but, now ya'll don't like a signing, so now they've haven't produced anything and most players should be shipped off! Get the f outta here!!  

They fluky made the playoffs, would have missed if it was a whole season

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

They fluky made the playoffs, would have missed if it was a whole season

Some people say that, but I disagree. We were already in amongst the top 8 by win percentage, and with Markstrom injured, Demko was about to finally get a long run where I’m guessing he’d put up great numbers. We may have finished in an even higher spot had things continued.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

Not sure what all the commotion is about. His first 19 games with the canucks was solid. He was on pace to score 50 pts last year, and played well in the playoffs. He's responsible defensively, has chemistry with Horvat, and he's only 28. He was okay this year. The entire team was bad this year. 

Because ............young guys

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I think they would have had to fill this spot 

No body on the team fills this role next season and the Canucks will have some turn over because of those becoming UFA

I think they really had to move Podz into a top 6 role instead of spending 3.25 on Pearson.

So assuming we can't move LE and he is waived next season plus Ferland is still on LTIR, then we have a roster of 14 signed guys (10F, 2D, 2G) with only $21m cap space to fill out 9 empty spots on the roster (2 of them are EP & QH) and 5-6 are Dmen.