The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | April 24, 7 p.m. | CBC, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Jake Virtanen is so frustrating. Yes, he was awful last night taking those careless penalties that could have cost us the game. He offered nothing in terms of offense. 

Yet, he also did throw some hard hits last night, and he drew a penalty and had Ottawa's #1 goalie strain his groin trying to trip Virtanen. So he did influence the game in a good way too. He's just so inconsistent.

On a positive note, I was thinking of our position and how we're trying to catch up to the Habs. It seems entirely possible, at least in my head. Even if we just win 3 of the 5 games that we have in hand on them, then we just have to earn one more victory than they do in our same amount of other games to be played. Given the downward trend that they've been on - it doesn't seem out of reach to me.

He was involved, and stepped over the line. Would rather Jake play like this than invisible mode.

With that said, I don't think he's on this team by the TDL next year. Arbitrators will stick it to the team big time, and he's not worth 4mil for what he brings.

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Jake Virtanen is so frustrating. Yes, he was awful last night taking those careless penalties that could have cost us the game. He offered nothing in terms of offense. 

Yet, he also did throw some hard hits last night, and he drew a penalty and had Ottawa's #1 goalie strain his groin trying to trip Virtanen. So he did influence the game in a good way too. He's just so inconsistent.

On a positive note, I was thinking of our position and how we're trying to catch up to the Habs. It seems entirely possible, at least in my head. Even if we just win 3 of the 5 games that we have in hand on them, then we just have to earn one more victory than they do in our same amount of other games to be played. Given the downward trend that they've been on - it doesn't seem out of reach to me.

he threw one hit, not good enough

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Odd given most condescending coaches have earned the right to be condescending by actually accomplishing something at the NHL level

a coach with a sub 500 coaching record with a history of missing the playoffs should probably be a little humble

Can’t wait for us to re-sign Green this offseason 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

He has no leverage. He won't leave Western Canada. Pretty sure I'd play in LA for 3 x the wage.

Obviously he has different priorities than you.

Nucks are lucky to get him at that salary cap, but I think they'll have to fork out more for next season.

49 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

There’s no integrity in this guys comments. Just hates to hate.. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but it’s not much of an opinion when you start moving the truth around which he does frequently. I don’t know what the point is, we all know where this guy stands with Green. Why not talk about the win or details of the game? Nope just negativity 

I’d like to see @canuck2288 point out a coach with an above .500 record, during a rebuild. Hint: he doesn’t exist. 

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’d like to see @canuck2288 point out a coach with an above .500 record, during a rebuild. Hint: he doesn’t exist. 

Ahh he’ll come up with something about Willie D with a worst team, same record or something like that. He’ll figure something out haha

• Haha 2

I guess Jake is an easy target but the first goal I thought he was positionally sound, F3 and got back into position.  Puck took a bit of a bad bounce and squeaks by Holtby.  

High sticks happen.  Not going to crucify the guy for a play that happens to everyone.  

Thought he was giving an honest effort. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I guess Jake is an easy target but the first goal I thought he was positionally sound, F3 and got back into position.  Puck took a bit of a bad bounce and squeaks by Holtby.  

High sticks happen.  Not going to crucify the guy for a play that happens to everyone.  

Thought he was giving an honest effort. 

To be honest he had one of those nights that plenty went wrong for him but at least he was showing effort and some emotion. Rather have that than another night of barely noticing him because he never seemed to want to get involved.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

It's clear Jake's been told to play a certain way and maybe he's not used to it? Let the man grow.

I'm ok with growing, and making mistakes. It's just frustrating to watch. You can see he has the tools. He just doesn't know how to use them. It's not even his draft position that bothers me. He's just so inconsistent. I want him to do well. This is his 5th season. When does it click for him? Or better question, will it ever click for him?

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

It's clear Jake's been told to play a certain way and maybe he's not used to it? Let the man grow.

I don't buy that....at this point, whatever he's being told to do/not to do should reflect in his growth to date/by now as he's had plenty of time to adjust/learn.

Love Jake and I still hold out hope for him because some of what he CAN bring is much needed.  But I feel it's his responsibility to show that despite coaching.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I just want to say how incredible it is that we did not allow a PP goal last night.  An exhausted/depleted team that managed to get through the penalties unscathed is pretty impressive.  

Also I love that Brady Woodchuck was a -2.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I just want to say how incredible it is that we did not allow a PP goal last night.  An exhausted/depleted team that managed to get through the penalties unscathed is pretty impressive.  

Also I love that Brady Woodchuck was a -2.

How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck???

I think it's been good for the Nucks to shake the rust while playing the Sens.  They're a fast team that plays hard, but are beatable.  Forces the team to work hard and stay focussed, despite the rust and any remaining physical weakness from Covid19.

The team is clearly having issues with their timing and some of them still need to take short shifts to deal with fatigue and respiratory needs.  Like I've said before, we will see a few ups and downs with this team.  3 weeks off + Covid should not be underestimated.  They need some time to adjust, so I'm glad it's with the Sens and not the Jets or Oilers. 

• Cheers 3