The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

@Petey_BOI

Let's put your Vezina nominee, Sabres stalwart Ullmark side by side with slightly above average Demko to get some perspective.

Ullmark: 542 saves ÷ 591 shots against = .917

Demko: 864 saves ÷ 948 shots against = .911

To have a .917 save percentage, Demko would need to have stopped a whopping 5 more goals against on the same number of shots. And he has played a lot more games.

I can think of that many goals that he had no chance on because of bad defensive plays or the team $&!#ting the bed in front of him just since the covid break.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This might seem counterintuitive, but I think we need a strong character that's a good player in the league to cut down on JT Miller's edge sometimes.  

Quinn, Petey, Bo, and Brock are great players but very quiet individuals.  

I would take someone like Jaden Schwarz or Nick Foligno in a heartbeat if we can somehow swing it. It might be a bit weird to some of you because those aren't young players. 

I was pretty stoked when Dorset was here. Ram really misses what he brought to the table every game. :sadno:

33 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

ah your same typical response. lies upon lies.

Have you seen the sheer number of quality scoring chances the Sabres give up every game? 

Have you seen how often the forwards lose their man in the defensive zone for a tap in goal?

Have you seen the 5000 blind back passes that leave the goalies out to dry.

guess what fam. great goalies will get it done, demko has been improving but consistency is still a concern.

Great goalies can’t do **** if the team in front of them can’t score any goals. Can you tell me how often we’ve given Demko 2+ goal support?

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Great goalies can’t do **** if the team in front of them can’t score any goals. Can you tell me how often we’ve given Demko 2+ goal support?

your jumping in at the wrong time. thats how this whole argument started, i was talking about we might have got more wins if not for our lack of secondary scoring.

26 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

there is ten teams with more goals against than vancouver and 2 within 1 goal. 12 teams

there are six goalies with better sv% than demko on those teams. that would put demko in the middle of the pack, i stand by my remarks that demko has only played slightly better than average.

dude, your argument doesn't work.

demko is 12th in the nhl with 3.5 goals saved above expected. ullmark is 29th in the league with -3.6 goals saved above expected. I'm not a fancy stats guy usually, but that's a wide gap and pretty cut and dry.  

4 minutes ago, tas said:

dude, your argument doesn't work.

demko is 12th in the nhl with 3.5 goals saved above expected. ullmark is 29th in the league with -3.6 goals saved above expected. I'm not a fancy stats guy usually, but that's a wide gap and pretty cut and dry.  

cool, when was the last time they gave out rewards for fancy stats.

fancy stats are flawed and the ones you are mentioning are the the worlds biggest dumpster fire.

GAR WAR AND SPAR utter trash

Edited by Petey_BOI

8 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

fancy stats are flawed and the ones you are mentioning are the the worlds biggest dumpster fire.

Goaltending is the least of the Canucks roster issues and has been for many years now.

..........side note:   Just watched the 11 o'clock news and the Vancouver P.D. are heavily involved with the Jake Virtanen Sex Allegations Case.   Things are getting serious.  I wonder if we'll se an arrest within the next week or so?

25 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i hate fancy stats with a passion, here is some fancy stats that show ullmark is a better goalie than demko

heres my source.  https://evolving-hockey.com/stats/goalie_standard/?_inputs_&std_gl_str="All"&std_gl_adj="Score %26 Venue"&std_gl_fa="50"&std_gl_info="No"&std_gl_range="Seasons"&std_gl_table="On-Ice"&std_gl_span="Regular"&std_gl_group="Team%2C Season"&std_gl_dft_yr="All"&std_gl_players=null&std_gl_team="All"&std_gl_age1="17"&std_gl_age2="50"

linus ullmark 5.1, 20th in the league demko 3.01 27th for goals saved above average.

this is why fancy stats are flawed, there should be no argument in how they are calculated.

jordie benn does not provide more offense to a team than hughes, yet some sites show that he does.

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

nope, its a team game. Toronto is 5th in scoring and edmonton is tenth,

florida, carolina, and tampa score more goals than, TO, edmonton, and winnepeg. and chicago is within 4 goals of winnepeg.

so yeah buffalo has got it harder. ullmark .917% demko .911%

like i said before great goalies make the saves regardless of the team, so far demko hasnt shown he can be consistent for a entire season.

great goalies makes the saves regardless of the teams? then how come McDavid Crosby Ovechkin Matthews etc all dominate literally every goalie in the league? it also matters who's taking the shots Matthew McDavid vs say ovechkin and kane.. both of them are shooting at almost 5% or more higher rate than those 2 and happens matthew and McDavid also top 1 and 4 in total shots on goal.. obviously those will inflate or deflate ur sv% it's simple math. 

McDavid Matthew both scores around 18-19 goals every 100 shots... kane ovechkin scores around 9-13 every 100 shots.. that alone is a huge difference in sv%. when majority of their teams shooting comes from those guys. 

demko have been great for the team other than the slow start to the season with lack of training camp and 0 practice as the canucks had the busiest schedule of all teams in the NHL for the 1st month and played 5+ more games than the next closest team. after that he settle down and was just fine up until the covid. the entire team other than the first 2 game have been trash since coming back. you can blame covid and the long layoff for that but you rather point ur finger at the goalie and let the rest of the team off the hook lol.

The reality is the top 6 is not dynamic or consistent enough offensively and the bottom 6, even when healthy, is a collection of overpriced declining vets, waiver wire pickups, and energy guys with no ability to chip in offensively or shut things down defensively.

How much would Toffoli and Gaudette help a team struggling to generate offensive chances and score right now? 

The main problem with this team is Benning and how he has built it. Its essentially a terrible team overall. And Green and how he is coaching it is a close second. Dump and turnover the puck offense, passive 5 man box defense.

No wonder we need 2 starting goalies just to avoid being the worst team in the league outright.

Posted this in another thread. Do the math it works.

Just imagine. With competent cap management and with a GM who could have actually traded bad contracts we could easiky have been looking at this lineup next year:

Hoglander-Pettersen-Boeser

Toffoli-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-Miller-Gaudette

Motte-Sutter-Lind

MacEwan, Gadjovich

Hughes-Tanev

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Rathbone

Demko

Holtby (or DiPietro or a veteran backup)

Get rid of Eriksson, Beagle, Baertschi, Roussel, and Edler and re-sign Sutter then actually properly manage the lines by building systems that work and it was easily possible.

3 lines that can score in waves and play a puck possession game while being solid defensively plus a balanced 4th line that can chip in with occasional offense and take some shut down minutes. Those are 4 rollable lines against most teams in the NHL imo.

3 balanced defense pairings with a defensive balance to its offensive player. It allows Hughes to play his game and utilizes Schmidt peoperly which would turn him into a 3rd top pairing quality guy.

Compare that with what Benning has built while throwing away Gaudette, Toffoli, and Tryamkin to sign Virtanen and chase OEL.

If this doesnt convince you he sucks $&!# at his job, you might be a Benning homer.

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

i hate fancy stats with a passion, here is some fancy stats that show ullmark is a better goalie than demko

heres my source.  https://evolving-hockey.com/stats/goalie_standard/?_inputs_&std_gl_str="All"&std_gl_adj="Score %26 Venue"&std_gl_fa="50"&std_gl_info="No"&std_gl_range="Seasons"&std_gl_table="On-Ice"&std_gl_span="Regular"&std_gl_group="Team%2C Season"&std_gl_dft_yr="All"&std_gl_players=null&std_gl_team="All"&std_gl_age1="17"&std_gl_age2="50"

linus ullmark 5.1, 20th in the league demko 3.01 27th for goals saved above average.

this is why fancy stats are flawed, there should be no argument in how they are calculated.

jordie benn does not provide more offense to a team than hughes, yet some sites show that he does.

that same link still shows demko as far better than ullmark in goals saved above expected. demko 5.01 (11th), ullmark -2.23 (41st).

So the rumor had it that Jim had at least one team interested in Tryamkin but decided to try and sign him.

LOL.

His asset management is the worst in the league.

When will the owners wake up? This man needs someone to make the important calls because by the time old Jimbo decides what to do it is too late.

The draft is perfect for him because he gets all year to plan and think about it. He is screwed when something requires one to think on the fly. Because they have no real plan in place that guides in making decisions they just don't make them.

By by asset.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Says a “fan” who is fine with a losing hockey club 

if you hope your team wins, you're a fan. if you expect them to, you're an entitled douche. 

14 minutes ago, appleboy said:

So the rumor had it that Jim had at least one team interested in Tryamkin but decided to try and sign him.

LOL.

His asset management is the worst in the league.

When will the owners wake up? This man needs someone to make the important calls because by the time old Jimbo decides what to do it is too late.

The draft is perfect for him because he gets all year to plan and think about it. He is screwed when something requires one to think on the fly. Because they have no real plan in place that guides in making decisions they just don't make them.

By by asset.

Do you believe every rumor you read?

How would you have reacted if he had traded that contract and then he had come over. He really cannot win with posters like you, Canuck2288 and others. You just love to live in the sewers or under the bridge and whine and complain. I really hope this is just your internet avatar speaking and not your real personality.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2