The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspended 1 Game] MacEwen to have hearing for kneeing Oilers' Nurse

Rate this topic

-SN-

29 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

Inconsistency is definitely an issue, and has been for a looong time.  

Perhaps they did make the call to cover therir asses, but it was still the correct call.  Can’t knee a guy in the head when he’s down.

And their excuse for not suspending Nurse for her bodyslam?

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

I wasn't able to find it in the thread, but it probably is just this. Pretty pathetic on so many levels. It's probably not even JB. #GroceryGate... srsly lol?!

the funny thing about this cody shoe guy is he shopping in a grocery store, the only differene is benning is most likely fully immunized. probably had his first shot in canada and his second in texas.

it won't be too long now, aquilini will sell the team to a us city 

12 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Former referee Paul Stewart puts Colin Campbell in the crosshairs. Something most Canuck fans’ reaction will be....well, duh.

In a series of tweets right after the announcement from the Department of Player Safety on the fine, Paul Stewart went off.

“Tom Wilson (again) showed himself to be a fraudulent “tough guy” by opportunistically going after skill/finesse players. He wouldn’t have pulled that crap if he had to directly answer for it to a Probert, O’Reilly, Dave Brown, Fotiu, Odjick, Grimson, Twist, Chase, etc.,” Stewart began. “DOPS is spineless but they are driven play/offense outcomes first and foremost. The scrum itself wasn’t too out of the ordinary but it was Wilson’s choice of targets and general punkishness that’s the issue.”

In his final tweet, Stewart made a scathing accusation as to why the NHL DOPS is a mess. “Also, blaming George Parros for DOPS’ flaws is like blaming Ronald McDonald for the food quality at McDonald’s.” he explained. “He’s a figurehead symbol. For those who don’t know: In the NHL, the officiating department and DOPS are under the thumb of the director of hockey ops.”

A direct shot a Colin Campbell. As of this writing, the league has offered no rebuttal.

Stewart was one of my all-time favourite refs back then.   Always was fair, didn't play favourites, and let the guys play.   Also a tough guy himself knew when to come in or send the guys in the break things up etc   Had an uncanny resemblance to the main actor in jaws lol.   Wish I could say nice things about today's refs.   Fraser was also pretty good but took some time for me to realize that, plus 10 for hair.     This is actually sad if true.   That's a department Colin Campbell shouldn't be allowed close too handling.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Stewart was one of my all-time favourite refs back then.   Always was fair, didn't play favourites, and let the guys play.   Also a tough guy himself knew when to come in or send the guys in the break things up etc   Had an uncanny resemblance to the main actor in jaws lol.   Wish I could say nice things about today's refs.   Fraser was also pretty good but took some time for me to realize that, plus 10 for hair.     This is actually sad if true.   That's a department Colin Campbell shouldn't be allowed close too handling.  

The only ref today with any kind of integrity/idea of what they’re doing is Wes McCauley. After him it’s a pretty steep drop off. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

The only ref today with any kind of integrity/idea of what they’re doing is Wes McCauley. After him it’s a pretty steep drop off. 

One of the worst decisions ever made was to add another zebra.   All they needed to do was give linesman's power to call vagrant majors away from the play, which the ref himself could then look at and upon review make a call.   In an era where they've removed the redline and gone to 3 x 3 OT to speed games up etc, why add another body?   Doubling up on the amount of refs was stupid.   PPs all over the place, so many weak calls.   Ruins the flow of the game, not to mention the extra body on the ice.   Don't blame the refs much from the viewpoint that they are human and can't help themselves.   Two personalities trying to "manage the game "....  Not a fan at all. 

There are still bad missed calls.   At least before you pretty much knew what you were getting from each ref out there (by name).    No it's a complete gong show.    Guess they wanted to "clean the game up".    Can't be easy been a player in the league back then or now, who knows where the line is.   Changes each time you get a new set of refs and changes from one minute to the next during the game too.     

Sigh.  That's ok.  It's still the best game in the world, but sometimes progress isn't progress and this is a good example of that.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Liked Stewart too but had a habit for make up calls, one of which likely cost the Canucks a chance for another run at the cup in 96.  Weak penalty called late in the 3rd period of game 5 let the Aves tie the game which they later won in OT.  Both Linden and Sakic had hat-tricks that game.

Canucks up 3-2 after game 5 could have changed history.  But the Aves win in OT win game 6 and roll over everyone else on their way to their first cup.

Edited by bbllpp
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

And their excuse for not suspending Nurse for her bodyslam?

TBH, I don’t know what the rules are for takedowns in a hockey fight.  This one certainly seemed more aggressive and dangerous than most, but are there rules in place to govern that?  Not that I’m aware of.

Likely, it’s just part of “the code”.  As in, “please punch each other in the head, bearhug, and wrestle each other to the ice like gentlemen”.

15 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

TBH, I don’t know what the rules are for takedowns in a hockey fight.  This one certainly seemed more aggressive and dangerous than most, but are there rules in place to govern that?  Not that I’m aware of.

Likely, it’s just part of “the code”.  As in, “please punch each other in the head, bearhug, and wrestle each other to the ice like gentlemen”.

Unnecessary roughness?   Start there then work outward?

23 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

For a League supposedly concerned about head injuries, plays like that are a disgrace 

Thing is, they stick THEIR heads in the sand while others' heads are hitting the ice, with force.

When someone's cut wide open and there's a pool of blood, they'll gasp, act horrified and take swift, immediate and severe action.   When really, they're part of the problem and not a solution.  They should be intervening more consistently and effectively BEFORE someone gets seriously hurt, not afterward.  

They pick and choose but allow the storyline to continue....sells tickets.  Everyone watched that Caps/Rangers fiasco (and most loved it).  I refused to watch because that's supportive their piss poor DOPS.  They've had 17 years to figure it out and they still are doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Sure.

They took the same route with Moore/Bertuzzi and...it ended badly (even if Moore embellished the severity a whole lot - Burke's book confirms what I already thought).

Saw trouble brewing from a dirty hit that resulted in injury.   Sent someone to eat hotdogs and watch in the stands.  First hand account as they witnessed what they failed to prevent from happening.  Took action AFTER the fact when much more could have been done.  But they sold the games after the Moore hit on Nazzy as "they're out for blood".  Makes money when people get interested in the sideshow.

I'm so over it all.  I'm giving up on this league.

Just now, Alflives said:

What are the rules on the books that govern what’s allowed in a fight?  I know it’s a suspension to get into a fight if hands are taped.  And no biting, or hair pulling.  But is there a rule that states the guys can’t throw one another to the ice?  I don’t think there is.  But there should be.  Really, a guy as big and strong as Chara could easily pick up his opponent during a fight and body slam him.  

nice to see you back. 

• Like 3