• Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7
    • Jets in 4
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/22/2021 at 01:00 AM

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm just tired of the media calling him the 'best player in the world'. He hasn't earned that yet. 

Its also just very American-style marketing, there's always just the one guy at the top crap. It doesn't really fit with hockey. 

Exactly. I understand the marketing perspective of it.

But this series against the Jets really hammered home the point that having the best player doesnt mean you win.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Exactly. I understand the marketing perspective of it.

But this series against the Jets really hammered home the point that having the best player doesnt mean you win.

it also serves to undercut the theory of tanking on purpose to become the best team. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it also serves to undercut the theory of tanking on purpose to become the best team. 

My thought has always been that in years where you are bottom of the league the best approach to take in the final games is to make them meaningful by putting young guys in key roles to see what they do with it.

If they lose, they learn and so does the team. If they win, they build confidence and so does the team.

What I dont think you do is play the $&!# out of your veterans just to try to win. Thats what the Canucks typically do. Its counterproductive. Playing young guys in key roles doesnt have to mean you are tanking. I think alot of people miss that reality.

A lot of people are underestimating how good The Jets are. They have 3 great two way centres. There was no time that McDavid was on the ice when he wasn't matched up against a good player. That with Hellebuyck in goal is why I had them upsetting The Oilers but I thought they'd lose in 6 or 7 not a sweep!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

They've at least won at some point in their history. Unlike you know who..

Yeah, wait I know this! It's one of Arizona, or Buffalo, or Columbus, or Florida, or Minnesota, or Nashville, or Ottawa, or San Jose, or Vegas, or Winnipeg! I almost said Toronto but it's been so long since they've won, like some time before the Canucks joined the NHL, so really who freaking cares if they've won a Cup a long time ago? I mean, what have they done for their fan base... lately. 

regards,  G.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If Montreal and Vegas get through to round 2 I will be ok with any of those 4 winning the cup. Prefer the Jets or Avs though. 

No one from the East I want to see win tbh. Maybe the Islanders just for the giant F you to pyjama boy.

For me in the west. Avs and Jets. Not sure what I think of Montreal although would be cool to see Price get a cup. Kinda like the Oilers though they have enough cups haha. Vegas hasn’t experienced any real pain in their young franchise history. They haven’t paid their dues.

For the east Islanders would be great because of the Leafers yes. I also like Florida.. That’s about it 

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

For me in the west. Avs and Jets. Not sure what I think of Montreal although would be cool to see Price get a cup. Kinda like the Oilers though they have enough cups haha. Vegas hasn’t experienced any real pain in their young franchise history. They haven’t paid their dues.

For the east Islanders would be great because of the Leafers yes. I also like Florida.. That’s about it 

I would be ok with Florida tbh

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, but if you develop your own guys you don't end up getting a bad fit once it's time to play them.

I'm certainly not going to underplay or argue against drafting and/or developing your own bottom 6 - I'm simply pointing out that the perception than anyone making over 2 or 3 million in the bottom 6 is 'overpaid' - that perception is near-sighted and believes in a certain kind of #proper build - that doesn't necessarily correlate to success - at all.  There's more than one way.

And to underline that point:

Shore Khaira Chiasson

Ennis Haas  Yamamoto

Shore - 700k

Khaira 1.2 million

Chiasson 2.15

Ennis 1.0

Haas 915k

Yamamoto 895k

their other option - like Archibald (1.5), Kahun (975), Nygard (875)... that's a lot of "cheap" bottom six.

No 'overpaid' bottom six guys there.

But - that's the team that just got spanked four straight - by a team with a considerably more expensive 'bottom six'.

• Cheers 1

Tough series for my son, a diehard Oilers fan. We were watching game #2 and Dave Lowry had the d-side game playing as well as any team I have seen in years. I said then that the Jets would be hard to beat. That and their balanced attack. 

When Nurse played that 4 minute shift I knew they were likely toast. 

Jets playing the Laffers. I take the Jets. Jets speed will kill the Laffers. Jets also still play a pretty physical game.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm certainly not going to underplay or argue against drafting and/or developing your own bottom 6 - I'm simply pointing out that the perception than anyone making over 2 or 3 million in the bottom 6 is 'overpaid' - that perception is near-sighted and believes in a certain kind of #proper build - that doesn't necessarily correlate to success - at all.  There's more than one way.

And to underline that point:

Shore Khaira Chiasson

Ennis Haas  Yamamoto

Shore - 700k

Khaira 1.2 million

Chiasson 2.15

Ennis 1.0

Haas 915k

Yamamoto 895k

their other option - like Archibald (1.5), Kahun (975), Nygard (875)... that's a lot of "cheap" bottom six.

No 'overpaid' bottom six guys there.

But - that's the team that just got spanked four straight - by a team with a considerably more expensive 'bottom six'.

Yeah, my issue is more with guys such as Gagner who end up not being a good fit.  Regarding guys like Beagle and Roussel, I am on board with.  Good bottom six guys are worth it for sure.  I meant overpayment as in not getting what you pay for.

51 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Tough series for my son, a diehard Oilers fan. We were watching game #2 and Dave Lowry had the d-side game playing as well as any team I have seen in years. I said then that the Jets would be hard to beat. That and their balanced attack. 

Jets playing the Laffers. I take the Jets. Jets speed will kill the Laffers. Jets also still play a pretty physical game.

Did you fail as a father? ;)  I think my parents would have kicked me out if I was an Oiler fan as a kid (back when they deserved fans from outside the province).

All in jest, of course.  Must have been some interesting times for you both watching Canuck/Oiler games.

When I saw how much Nurse had played before that OT, and they kept showing his TOI clock, I thought the graphic was broken, as there was no way they could keep him out there that long.  Major brain fart there by the coach.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Dave Lowry is an excellent coach. I got to see his systems while was coaching the Victoria Royals. Plays a hard on the puck checking game with a great counter transition

It's only a matter of time before he is scooped up as a head coach

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

My thought has always been that in years where you are bottom of the league the best approach to take in the final games is to make them meaningful by putting young guys in key roles to see what they do with it.

If they lose, they learn and so does the team. If they win, they build confidence and so does the team.

What I dont think you do is play the $&!# out of your veterans just to try to win. Thats what the Canucks typically do. Its counterproductive. Playing young guys in key roles doesnt have to mean you are tanking. I think alot of people miss that reality.

I think this year they kind of split the difference, I don't remember seeing this many prospects in one year. But I do agree with your take. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this year they kind of split the difference, I don't remember seeing this many prospects in one year. But I do agree with your take. 

They were much better this year then they typically are.

Still would have liked to see more pp time and even pk time for some of those young guys though.

Gadjovich deserved more time even though he clearly needs to work on his skating.

Edited by wallstreetamigo