The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Geoff Courtnall to return to Canucks?

Rate this topic

Slegr

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Obviously cool. I have no idea what role he would have. Does he have any coaching experience?

I know he was on the coaching staff to some point with the Victoria grizzlies. They stayed at a hotel I worked at about 15 years ago

3 hours ago, Provost said:

We don’t know who could or will be available.  What if the only thing stopping a Reinhart trade is an extra $3 million in cap space that Buffalo won’t eat in terms of a bad contract going the other way?

How many Schmidt type deals will be out there this offseason?

It isn’t just a player for the exact same money... that is too simplistic a way to look at it.   What could cap freed up by a Virtanen buyout plus the Pearson money get you?

it isn’t just free agency, it is trades as well.  What shakes loose before the expansion draft?  What if we lose a player ourselves because we are suddenly protecting Pearson?

The entire issue that folks have is that there was zero reason to sign Pearson when it happened.  If the same deal gets signed the day after the draft, it isn’t a big issue.

So basically if you have 5 million, you want to see what kind of calibre of players can you get for 5 million? In other words, you CAN get the option of splashing a big fish UFA signing, is this what you're advocating?

Players signed for 5M may or may not necessarily work here either. If they don't, that is 5M that is basically dead money. Think of Eriksson, for example. The whole cycle of this just ends up getting repeated.

Edited by Dazzle

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Moreover, I think Benning's departure to Texas to watch the games may be the team's way of having him be in charge of scouting. Basically Benning gets re-assigned to another department. So I think we will be seeing a new GM after all.

I think he wants to be in change of the scouting/drafting... its probably what he loves the most...

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What did they reach out to him about? Is this another hamfisted Aquilini move to bring back a popular player in some capacity? How about bringing in the best possible person for the job rather than another former Canuck? 

Exactly.  I suspect this is just another Aqua-lini "stunt" to try to appeal to the nostalgic Canuck fans hearts in a desperate effort to try to retain the remaining fans as Aqau-lini is completely out of ideas and out of his league owning this team.   Obviously, all his ideas, tampering, money he threw at the team, and team food nutritionist have failed.  

TIME FOR NEW OWNERSHIP

7 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

A move to shut up the Candy Eater Fans and the Vancouver media that try to make a living out of chaos.

80% of Canuck fans are whiners that are super needy of quick fixes that create more problems then actually help the team. 

im a Canuck fan...unfortunately i dislike a big portion of Canuck fans. The Whiny brats i hate the most.

On to the Draft 

Then you should dislike Benning also when he is a whiny brat.

• RoughGame 2

14 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What did they reach out to him about? Is this another hamfisted Aquilini move to bring back a popular player in some capacity? How about bringing in the best possible person for the job rather than another former Canuck? 

I'll take Trevor Linden - and the job he did - all over again, in a heartbeat.

• Sad 1

FA trusts courtnals opinion on the team and wants another voice to help make the right decisions. if there was a pres, he would conduct a total review of everything. he sure can't ask the fans, because we're all over the place.

i might be the only one, but i love the pearson signing. he maybe a 3rd line winger but with bo, he help this team and bo a lot. he and bo have chemistry and play the same kind of 2 way game. if i'm wrong, shoot me at sunrise. .

5, 9, 11.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

So basically if you have 5 million, you want to see what kind of calibre of players can you get for 5 million? In other words, you CAN get the option of splashing a big fish UFA signing, is this what you're advocating?

Players signed for 5M may or may not necessarily work here either. If they don't, that is 5M that is basically dead money. Think of Eriksson, for example. The whole cycle of this just ends up getting repeated.

I am clearly not saying that we need to find a big splash UFA at all.  I explicitly said in the post you actually quoted

"it isn’t just free agency, it is trades as well.  What shakes loose before the expansion draft?  What if we lose a player ourselves because we are suddenly protecting Pearson?"

No one knows, and that signing Pearson was premature and unnecessary as we hold his rights until after expansion.

... and that leaving as many of those options for a new GM to explore would be smart.

The idea that we don't make any moves to improve one of the worst rosters in the league because it may work out like Eriksson is ludicrous.  How do we ever improve if not for trying to bring in better players?  That sort of thinking made people not want to move Virtanen because he could become Cam Neely.

The entire point of the thread you were responding to was that many folks just don't trust Benning to be the one making those choices as his track record isn't good.

Edited by Provost

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

As someone mentioned already, it's said he had influence on the Gillis decision. Seems like he's been around for a while advising for the Aquilini's. Let's see how this plays out.

if there really was "pushback" (and not just PJ making stuff up) its not a great sign for Jim and Weisbrod that Courtnall is being approached again. 

Whatever happens I hope it happens soon. The team doesn't need weeks of this kind of reporting. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'll take Trevor Linden - and the job he did - all over again, in a heartbeat.

I'm as much a linden fan as the next guy, but what can we conclusively say was "the job he did?" we all speculate and prognosticate and deduce and theorize, but we really don't have a goddamn clue what's going on behind the scenes, who or what is the impetus for which decisions and actions. 

we should let sleeping dogs lie with trevor. it didn't work out for reasons good or ill, let's leave it at that. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 2
  • RoughGame 1

14 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

What? When has Benning been a whiny brat. Plz give an example.

If your looking for a whiny brat look in the mirror.

He whined about young players .. one example... 

Benning might be good at scouting but he sure not is a GM material. 

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

19 hours ago, Slegr said:

Geoff Courtnall is a good BC boy from Victoria, and played some great seasons with the Canucks.

Apparently there is interest by the organization to bring him back in some capacity.

Good? Bad? And what role do you think he’d have?

If Geoff Courtnal wants to be in charge of our hot dog stand, I have no problem.