The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats the idea, but how many times have we seen GMs make mistakes and other teams benefit (Hughes says 'hi') or you don't know for a while that you picked the wrong guy (i.e. Jake). Or sometimes the 1st  or 2nd overall is decent but not remarkable (e.g.Hischier and Patrick).

Outside of the really generational guys we just don't know, we can guess but thats all it is. There's too many risks we can't actually quantify to make a fully informed decision. 

I really am enjoying watching that. I'll be really surprised if Treliving has a job in two weeks. 

No guarantees that is for sure. Not just the player selection but the roster he is drafted to makes a dif. Roster and team culture. Look at Bennet in Florida. So many variables. 

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, PLOGUE said:

Very Canuck game. Only thing that should matter is player development, assessing the kids we have, what does Green do? 4:55 icetime to Gadjovich. In a mean nothing game this guy can't find 10min of ice time for the kid. Add to that the come back to gain a point and this game reeks of Canucks, can't win when it matters can't lose when it doesn't. 

how  was he supposed to  give him 10  minutes? he had  17  minutes  of penalties.  and there was 10 minutes of  5vs4 play in the third. they are giving  those minutes to potential  4th line players. Boyd,Graovac,Highmore,Vesey this is their last shot at impressing the nhl and Jim. you  don't need to give any of those minutes to Gadjovich, in his 5 minutes everyone saw he wasn't ready last night. Even his hits looked bad, he was just way too slow to react. his only saving grace, was that fight.

maybe next game, he will play better. Kole got lots of minutes when he played well.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

No guarantees that is for sure. Not just the player selection but the roster he is drafted to makes a dif. Roster and team culture. Look at Bennet in Florida. So many variables. 

thats why I can't get too worked up over 5th vs 10th, particularly this year. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Well Florida hardly had a great team culture in their history.  Difference is they got a legit NHL head coach. Look at Forsling playing top 4 minutes.  We have had well...

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

it's more about how many mistakes the GM makes against the overall success.

As for the Pens if you were to trace the trade they got Pearson for Hagelin and got Gudbransson for Pearson. It's not that bad actually since Hagelin was struggling with the Pens that time and Pearson was not just a fit. 

Plus I think even if the Pens did win two cups recently so it's easier to overlook any mistake a GM makes. Benning could have signed Loui Eriksson to a 7 year $10 million contract but if no one would care if Vancouver wins a cup.

That’s the thing no GM could have turned this team into a cup winner in 7 years with what JB had to work with at the start. It’s too bad we couldn’t have started the real work 7 years ago as well. Sedins, re-tool, etc. It’s not all on JB. I tend to not get into it with people about grading the GM. It’s a pointless argument. People have there feeling and that won’t change. I could go on and on about the good and bad moves JB has made.

At the end of the day if JB were to leave tomorrow his hands are all over this team and the core of young players and the new GM will reap the rewards of what he has to work with. The rebuild is set, its getting these kids more experience and adding to the team over the next couple years. I could see us back in the playoffs next year but I’m an optimistic one. I’m not doom and gloom over here. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well Florida hardly had a great team culture in their history.  Difference is they got a legit NHL head coach. Look at Forsling playing top 4 minutes.  We have had well...

All that, and the franchise draws flies. Pre Covid, only family and friends bothered with that team, and the game of hockey. Coach Q is a good one, but even he became stale in Chicago.

Edited by johngould21

17 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

All that, and the franchise draws flies. Pre Covid, only family and friends bothered with that team, and the game of hockey. Coach Q is a good one, but even he became stale in Chicago.

Everyone gets stale.  Even the best GM this team has ever had, Pat Quinn.  The main point is, Coach Q is a great starting point.  Guys like Willie Desjardins, well; great for our minor league affiliate.

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

The fans on this team live in an fantasy world. If we go into next season with Hughes,  Rathbone and Chatfield we are going to get manhandled every single game.

Chatfield as an injury replacement only ... doubt he will ever play a game unless that happens team rank is on with him in the lineup.  Rathbone is a wild card.  QHs i'm certain will turn it around.  OJ is still an enigma.   We need another D this draft even if it's on the L side.   Edler... i'm not confident we have a replacement for him yet. 

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Speaking of hindsight this was a strange draft year. 

The Top 3 was set in stone with Matthews, Laine, and Puljujarvi and there were even talks that Laine could surpass Matthews. There was so much hype surrounding Laine and Puljujarvi that no one could have imagined their NHL careers would be underwhelming. Though that could change Puljujarvi seems to have figured it out and could surpass Laine if their respective trajectory continues.

Yeah, I remember all the hype (too) between those two Fins but it would had been really hard to unseat Matthews at #1;  The Laffs, Flakes & Deadmonton (if they won it would had been five 1st OA picks in a 6 year period and they drafted McD the year before - imagine having those two with RNH & Hall as well) were all tanking really hard to get Matthews (or the Fins) and it seems the Canucks were too but I remember the team going in a mini streak later in the year to finish on a high note.   Although, if there was no lottery and just based on the standings, the Canucks would had chosen #3;  the Canucks dropped to #5 (the biggest highlight was when Deadmonton moved down to #4 from #2) and both the Jets (moved from #6 to #2) & Bluejackets (#3) moved up.

With hindsight, the two teams that moved up, probably were only able to enjoy a few years of good play from Laine & PLD but in the end - Columbus will probably be the only team to end up with a player (Roslovic) in the whole deal (assuming PLD decides to leave WPG).  At the very least, the OJ saga is just starting and his cap hit is peanuts compared to most of the players in the top 5 in that draft; hopefully, OJ cements himself as a solid member of our d next year and the very limited opportunity he got this year was enough experience to give him an idea of what he needs to work on to stick.  

Preferably, the team will have a new staff by then and all the FA's in d moves on.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

9 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes,me too!  No hard feelings Travis and hope you have a wonderful rest of your life.  Hope your journey takes you to better places and you find better success than you had here in Vancouver. All the best and don't forget to shut the door behind you.......................!

The lock on the door has already been changed.

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just listing defencemans but you are right Henrik was #3 pick as well.

Just by technicalities.  Burke already worked out a deal with Atlanta not to select either Sedin.  But Atlanta still wanted the PR of drafting the first overall pick (being a new franchise in a new market).  Hank was the top ranked prospect with his brother being #2.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Just by technicalities.  Burke already worked out a deal with Atlanta not to select either Sedin.  But Atlanta still wanted the PR of drafting the first overall pick (being a new franchise in a new market).  Hank was the top ranked prospect with his brother being #2.

Yeah, kudos to Burke for getting it done.

• Cheers 2