The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Good. His drafting is great, has found the entire core we all love.

One thing we know is aqua is cheap in terms of front office/coaching staff. I believe this is why he like jimmybob.
- Using something free ( draft picks rd 1 -7 )
-Turning that free asset into profits

I think coaching staff is the bigger problem.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Bo, Boeser, etc

C'mon partner.  Every year some guys have reasons for flying home rather than back to Van after the season.  Even if it is true, which is unlikely.

Think about it. The news is 1 hour old.  You think the douche who says a player is leaving to go straight home actually has a scoop or just made it up? Buddy, buddy.

This is just put out there to stir the pot.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Laoag said:

Ok, My musings on this:

I want Benning gone, I think this year was the final straw for me. too many mistakes, and the cherry on top is an obvious displeasure coming from the players towards management.

Despite this, I might be able to rationalize that keeping Benning is the honourable thing to do for owner ship. Reality of the situation is that Ownership turned off the taps for this season, which I understand. but turning off the taps might have hurt Bennings ability to properly build off the success of the bubble.

people love to say Benning is an Idiot for keeping Jake over Toffoli. This isn't true. If we let Jake walk, we would have had to still shed cap for toffoli to be signed. its obvious that ownership did not give the green light for a buyout. Yes Benning's spending put us in this  position in the first place, but those signings also might have been pushed for by ownership.

look at all the reports about ownership lately... they are looking for guidance, they are realizing they are going in the wrong direction.. Maybe... JUST MAYBE keeping Benning is ownership admitting they have not given Jim the resources or freedom to run the team his own way. think about it, there is a huge rift between the team and fanbase, lots of people are angry and  consumer confidence is very low right now. If this mess is really ALL Bennings mess, how easy would it be for management to fire him and let him take the blame for everything? It would be pretty damn easy. Ownership knows, if they fire benning and bring in someone with a decent resume fans will be happy enough to come back to rogers arena next year, Its a loyal fan base. But this isn't the route they are taking... Francesco and family seem to be very reactionary, the easy thing for them to do right now is fire Benning, but they aren't. This might actually be the start of a Change is philosophy.

Maybe... just MAYBE, they are finally realizing they need to hire people and let them do their jobs.

They are not firing Benning because this will add to Aquilini's cost. Terminating Benning's contract will mean paying for what ever is left on his contract. 

Aquaman is not firing Benning because he has a good heart. He is not firing Benning because it will cost him money

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Laoag said:

Ok, My musings on this:

I want Benning gone, I think this year was the final straw for me. too many mistakes, and the cherry on top is an obvious displeasure coming from the players towards management.

Despite this, I might be able to rationalize that keeping Benning is the honourable thing to do for owner ship. Reality of the situation is that Ownership turned off the taps for this season, which I understand. but turning off the taps might have hurt Bennings ability to properly build off the success of the bubble.

people love to say Benning is an Idiot for keeping Jake over Toffoli. This isn't true. If we let Jake walk, we would have had to still shed cap for toffoli to be signed. its obvious that ownership did not give the green light for a buyout. Yes Benning's spending put us in this  position in the first place, but those signings also might have been pushed for by ownership.

look at all the reports about ownership lately... they are looking for guidance, they are realizing they are going in the wrong direction.. Maybe... JUST MAYBE keeping Benning is ownership admitting they have not given Jim the resources or freedom to run the team his own way. think about it, there is a huge rift between the team and fanbase, lots of people are angry and  consumer confidence is very low right now. If this mess is really ALL Bennings mess, how easy would it be for management to fire him and let him take the blame for everything? It would be pretty damn easy. Ownership knows, if they fire benning and bring in someone with a decent resume fans will be happy enough to come back to rogers arena next year, Its a loyal fan base. But this isn't the route they are taking... Francesco and family seem to be very reactionary, the easy thing for them to do right now is fire Benning, but they aren't. This might actually be the start of a change in philosophy.

Maybe... just MAYBE, they are finally realizing they need to hire people and let them do their jobs.

This, ownership setup management for failure. They need to prove at this point that they have learned from this and start beefing up the front office. Get rid of Weisbroad if he is a nuisance (big if there). And start opening up the wallet. If ownership's concern is making a profit than they are in the wrong business. 

This and bringing in the Sedins can't be the only move this off season. No even close.

1 minute ago, runtzguy said:

They are not firing Benning because this will add to Aquilini's cost. Terminating Benning's contract will mean paying for what ever is left on his contract. 

Aquaman is not firing Benning because he has a good heart. He is not firing Benning because it will cost him money

BUT THEY PAID1 17 MILLION  at once TO Gillis, Torts, Willie D, AV not to be part of this team 

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, IRR said:

You, this guy & Taj need to get a life. What a bunch of selfish, entitled, negative, ignorant, immature people!!! Grow up!! 

I can understand why people don't like Laleet, etc. even if I don't agree with it but I don't get the Taj hate. He just reposts quotes from other media members for the most part lol.

The real winner today is Tyson Barrie on his next contract ;) /s

In any case I didn't expect Jim to be fired this offseason. Let's see what his plan is this offseason. I still think it's telling though that Aquilini had to reaffirm to a guy who had two years left on his contract that he isn't getting let go. As others pointed out, Aquilini isn't too willing to pay for two GMs and two coaches again. But it's a tough business and things can change on a dime, or a losing streak.

Look forward to debating the future moves with the usual suspects. But I'm hoping for once the future moves won't be as polarizing and can just be easy wins we can agree on. 

• Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

more money than if fans don't show up at the arena and don't buy merchandise? 

that's for both NHL and AHL teams by the way...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

kind of proves the Aqulini's aren't cheap 

at the time, they were 4th in the NHL in estimated franchise value

they're now no longer a top 10 team in franchise value and they have actually dropped since 2014

lots of empty seats, and they struggle giving away tickets for pennies or free. 

can understand why there's a bit of penny pinching now vs why there wasn't 7 years ago - lack of team success and fan disinterest has affected their bottom line

• Vintage 1

Another year ( more likely less)  of pathetic excuses from JB

Disappointed but not surprised

JB the gm for owners that need a yes man puppet even if he fails at 99% of what he says.  
any good top ten draft picks next summer ? 

ECC70E2F-30DA-4441-A9D4-6A5313BBD81E.jpeg

• RoughGame 6

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

They have become cheap ever since Linden's departure. 

Really wonder if the Aqualini group is in trouble these days. 

they aren't - they have made and continue to make boat loads of money through their other holdings if you ask anyone ITK. 

It is true though that the Canucks have struggled for the past 7 years financially and maybe that's why they are penny pinching in hockey ops. 

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

I can understand why people don't like Laleet, etc. even if I don't agree with it but I don't get the Taj hate. He just reposts quotes from other media members for the most part lol.

Taj is constantly & consistently negative / hateful of this franchise. All he does is b**** & complain and slam the organization / people in it. It's one thing to be critical when there's something to be critical of, but he does it even when there isn't. This owner / gm / coach / players could have great success and he'd still have something to be negative about. That's not a fan! 

• Cheers 3