The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Was a bad year to be in the NHL in general. Team didn't have any practice time for the first 6 weeks, was completely exhausted and struggled with Covid for the last half of the season.

We'll be fine next year, not worried at all.

Wait and see!

Got 50 years?

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We finished last in the worst division, even Ottawa, who we were all laughing at finished ahead of us, please explain how he is a good coach?

Round and Round and Round we go. People have their own opinions. Nothing he says will change your opinion so why ask?

• Cheers 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Was a bad year to be in the NHL in general. Team didn't have any practice time for the first 6 weeks, was completely exhausted and struggled with Covid for the last half of the season.

We'll be fine next year, not worried at all.

Wait and see!

Dude? The Canucks were done before COVID. Can we just stop finding excuses and admit the Canucks are a bad team? The bubble was an anomaly and the Canucks very much over achieved. A full 82 game season the Canucks are a bottom feeder team. That’s fact. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

Nobody had the level of covid related symptoms or time off we did, not even close.

I believe Colorado and Dallas were pretty permeated. The way the NHL compressed the schedule after the fact was atrocious though. 

Boeser certainly made a point of mentioning it yesterday.  I do agree that a new D and PP coach would go a long way, I hope those changes are made.

I'm fine with Green coming back, and do agree that he'd fare far better with a more experienced defensive coach and a less predictable PP coach. Clark should be signed yesterday.

Yes, I do think that the compressed schedule did cause some of the challenges we had on D, absolutely.  We played 35 of our 56 games over a span of 56 days to start and end the year.  Anybody who has played sports can understand that if you are playing on average close 4 games a week, 20+ mins a game, it will hurt your performance. 

The endurance of the players isn't the issue here. Never said it was. The defense, in and of itself, is comprised of more than capable players. It's the way they were being coached to play by Baumgartner that I have issue with. Clearly the d-corps were fit as fiddles, which helped some of them recover quicker from the virus. I believe Myers put in over 30 minutes in a game, post Coivd. Obviously every player makes mental gaffes, and that can be attributed to exhaustion and wear. Understandable. To me, it's the coaching that hurt the defense, pure and simple. Hughes and Myers like Baumgartner, so it works for them. 

Not using that as an excuse, we should have had better depth to get through it, but we didn't.  Next year though that variable is gone, and I think our team will perform better as a result.

I think the depth on defense was pretty good. Hughes, Hamonic, Myers, Schmidt, Juoelvi, Edler, Rathbone, Benn. That's nothing to sneeze at. That corps should have been more successful at limiting shots and clearing the crease more consistently. Next year will be telling. 

2 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Dude? The Canucks were done before COVID. Can we just stop finding excuses and admit the Canucks are a bad team? The bubble was an anomaly and the Canucks very much over achieved. A full 82 game season the Canucks are a bottom feeder team. That’s fact. 

Your opinion.

Mine is, they are a better team than their record shows and next season will be a good, playoff season.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Tough to think most of the assistants won’t be back as well.

I am actually not on the “fire Green” bandwagon.  The players still seem to be playing hard for him, he just has a terrible roster.  The only reason I thought he might be gone would be if they wanted a new GM to be able to hire their own coach.

Please let them announce a big name President or hockey operations so at least we know next year will be assessing and making a new plan forward.  Someone with the status to demand less interference from ownership, at least with hockey decisions.

I have zero faith in the Benning/Weisbrod duo.  Bad results and too many staff and players leaving the organization with bad feelings about how they were treated.

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

You either take both the bubble and this season as anomaly amd throw both out or keep both and take the regression. That is how data analysis work. That is a fact. 

What you have stated is your opinion.

So because on paper we are a better team, it means we are a good team ? The stats don’t lie my friend. 

3 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

This Is Fine GIF

CDCers in denial that the Canucks are a bad team. 

Define bad. A team with Bo Horvat, Elias Pettersson, Thatcher Demko, Quinn Hughes, Nils Hoglander, and Brock Boeser can't be a bad team, in my humble opinon. They can underperform, but aren't bad.

• Cheers 1

Just now, BPA said:

Did you think the Canucks were a bad team during last years playoffs?

Holy &^@#. The Canucks played good hockey, but did we carry that into the following season? No. Same old dog $&!# dump and chase hockey and here we are again. Like I said, the Canucks performance in the bubble was an anomaly. 

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

You either take both the bubble and this season as anomaly amd throw both out or keep both and take the regression. That is how data analysis work. That is a fact. 

What you have stated is your opinion.

Ummm that is distinctly NOT how data analysis works.

If their results are consistently bad, with one outlier... the outlier is what you throw out if you choose to, It would be special cause variation.

We have been bad for years, very much right in the same range just like this year.  We were also not good last year for most of the season, we just had a short hot streak with the play in and a playoff round.  We were absolutely trending towards missing the playoffs if the shortened season hadn’t rescued us.  The bubble is distinctly different than what came before and what came after.

• RoughGame 1