The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Those are the facts though. It did let us down big time when it was gifted a golden opportunity. It blew it when it mattered the most.

Our PP did feed on weaker teams last year. We didn't face as many weak teams this year. Even before Petey got hurt it was struggling.

I don't think our PP is good vs good teams. Need it to improve in order to have any sort of playoff success. Most good playoff teams will own us on special teams if we're more of the same.

the Canucks aren't a top team. it's uh, kinda common sense that you would do better against worse teams than against good teams. that's what makes bad teams bad and good teams good. the Canucks special teams are right where sane people should expect it to be -- promising but inconsistent and still learning and improving. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Those are the facts though. It did let us down big time when it was gifted a golden opportunity. It blew it when it mattered the most.

Our PP did feed on weaker teams last year. We didn't face as many weak teams this year. Even before Petey got hurt it was struggling.

I don't think our PP is good vs good teams. Need it to improve in order to have any sort of playoff success. Most good playoff teams will own us on special teams if we're more of the same.

Agreed. Last year PP had it moments but was up & down. This year just flat out awful. They need to improve.

PK was also bad this year, but hopefully gets better w/ Beagle & Motte back. And maybe some additions.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder how much the Sedins opinion weighed into this? I bet a lot

Good point, JM. Certainly makes for a smoother atmosphere, should they opt in with the org. & yeah, I hope they do. For fans, these are two guys you'd trust are fully-committed to what's good for the franchise.

2 minutes ago, tas said:

the Canucks aren't a top team. it's uh, kinda common sense that you would do better against worse teams than against good teams. that's what makes bad teams bad and good teams good. the Canucks special teams are right where sane people should expect it to be -- promising but inconsistent and still learning and improving. 

My point was the overall ranking of it last year is exaggerated and an unreliable source of information given how the PP was vs a good playoff team.

The benchmark we should be looking at it how well it does vs multiple top/good playoff teams. We'd be able to get a greater feel and make much more comprehensive judgement of the PP and could then discuss solutions/improvements as we see fit.

At least that was the point I was trying to make.

• Vintage 1

Failure of a season. Plenty of excuses yet still a failure. If we are sticking with the same management and coaching then hopefully there will be some buyouts with new players added to this team. Something needs to change. Ownership will get revenue next year so the buyouts won’t hurt as much.

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agreed. Last year PP had it moments but was up & down. This year just flat out awful. They need to improve.

PK was also bad this year, but hopefully gets better w/ Beagle & Motte back. And maybe some additions.

I am worried about the PK personnel. Motte is becoming injury prone(forward Tanev) and Beagle might be forced to retire with his injury. Both these guys make up a good #1 PK unit. If they can't stay healthy the PK probably will struggle with consistency, especially with Edler regressing. 

• Cheers 1

I just hope they replace Brown and Baumgartner, special teams and D have been bad. If they do re-sign them, then I hope Benning is able to pull off some minor miracles and bring in some top 4 D, rebuild the Bottom 6.   

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess i could be wrong but it didnt seem scripted - particularly Demko.

Anyway onward to the draft. 

I could also be wrong and the team loves these coaches and management. That is definitely not the grumblings I have heard the past few years but maybe it is the case. 

I do know that both the offensive style these coaches play and the defensive style are widely disliked by a majority of players in general. I hear it all the time. Offensive players want to play more a puck possession style and defensive players dont want to have to block a ton of shots because they dont at least somewhat pressure defensively.

I am enjoying watching the playoffs actually. It really hammers home just how slow, indecisive, and uncoordinated the Canucks overall style really is.

This shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.   At least to those who've paid attention.   And no it's not the end of the world either.   AV had a crap year too.  TG would have been going to the Rangers or Seattle if he wasn't re-upped. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's interesting to see from the exit interviews that there's an obvious disconnect between how the players feel about Green & Co. as compared to how some fans feel. 

You’ll have people say the interview were all for show and no one is going to say how they really feel. 

For me that Myers interview said it all. That was not fake. He was the only one to not beat around the bush about what we need to take the next step.

Green and his players have a great relationship no doubt. Green is also respected around the league. Now it would be nice to see some new assistants!

• Cheers 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I just hope they replace Brown and Baumgartner, special teams and D have been bad. If they do re-sign them, then I hope Benning is able to pull off some minor miracles and bring in some top 4 D, rebuild the Bottom 6.   

Same here. I think that the intention seems to be to keep the band together still, sadly. Even someone with a rudimentary knowledge of hockey can see how poorly the defense manages their own end.

I wonder what the point would be of bringing another top four defenseman, if they're going to have to adhere to poorly thought out systems by BumGardner.