The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

you didn't like the consistent upward progression and success in two rounds of the playoffs?

There was consistent "upward progression" in the two playoff rounds? Sure the Canucks got past the Blues, who weren't at their best, but, if you think there was more of that upward progression against the Knights, you're a funny guy. The only reason the team had any chance against the Knights was because of Demko, and that's pretty much it. But sure, let's hope that the team progresses upwards more. 

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

You realize we were right at 500 after our ridiculous 16 game start right?  We did that with a 3 week layoff with the whole team getting covid, then 19 games in 31 days.  We also had EP out for the better part of the year.  Remove the stupid schedule at the start, stupid schedule at the end, the 3 week break in the middle, and put us in division with Calgary, SJ, LA, Anaheim Seattle and I'd bet my house we are at least 10 points better.

Not saying that some things don't need to change, but we are not in anywhere near as bad shape as this season indicates. I trust that you can at least look objectively at the variables that no single other team in the league faced this year.  

they don't care, they just want something to confirm their bias

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Supposedly the assistants are signed for another two years? 

Not that I’m aware. That wouldn’t make sense. So the rest of the coaching staff means Ian Clark?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There was consistent "upward progression" in the two playoff rounds? Sure the Canucks got past the Blues, who weren't at their best, but, if you think there was more of that upward progression against the Knights, you're a funny guy. The only reason the team had any chance against the Knights was because of Demko, and that's pretty much it. But sure, let's hope that the team progresses upwards more. 

Upward progression and then playoffs I think he means. We improved every year up until covid 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's interesting to see from the exit interviews that there's an obvious disconnect between how the players feel about Green & Co. as compared to how some fans feel. 

I don't get to choose whether my boss gets fired or not.  Neither should the players.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

You realize we were right at 500 after our ridiculous 16 game start right?  We did that with a 3 week layoff with the whole team getting covid, then 19 games in 31 days.  We also had EP out for the better part of the year.  Remove the stupid schedule at the start, stupid schedule at the end, the 3 week break in the middle, and put us in division with Calgary, SJ, LA, Anaheim Seattle and I'd bet my house we are at least 10 points better.

Not saying that some things don't need to change, but we are not in anywhere near as bad shape as this season indicates. I trust that you can at least look objectively at the variables that no single other team in the league faced this year.  

Every team played the 56 game schedule, and a few other teams had outbreaks of Covid in their rosters as well. So using that excuse doesn't fly. Notice that the players didn't lean on it to explain their lack of success. 

I'm fine with Green being re-signed, if that is in fact the case, but the two assistants clearly were less than successful in their specific areas of coaching. The defense was a porous mess most nights, with the Canucks surrendering more shots than any other team in the league. That wasn't because of Covid or a compressed schedule, it was because they were hemmed in their own end more than not, and couldn't break the puck out with any consistency. 

I hope for better next year, but am not going to count on it. 

1 minute ago, sassbs said:

Lollll

, no one should be resigned! Green is an awful coach, benning needs to go and please don’t get me started on brown and Nolan.  

If they are all resigned, I will take a picture of me in a maple leafs tidy whitey!    

i seriously have to question anything Canucks related if it comes to pass

then I expect we won't be hearing from you after that.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

there's been steady consistent upward progression since the twins retired.......the winning precentage has gone up every season, capped off by winning three rounds of playoff hockey last year.  But you go ahead and use this ridiculous joke of a season as your standard.

You're amusing. Keep it coming. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Every team played the 56 game schedule, and a few other teams had outbreaks of Covid in their rosters as well. So using that excuse doesn't fly. Notice that the players didn't lean on it to explain their lack of success. 

I'm fine with Green being re-signed, if that is in fact the case, but the two assistants clearly were less than successful in their specific areas of coaching. The defense was a porous mess most nights, with the Canucks surrendering more shots than any other team in the league. That wasn't because of Covid or a compressed schedule, it was because they were hemmed in their own end more than not, and couldn't break the puck out with any consistency. 

I hope for better next year, but am not going to count on it. 

seriously, what happened to you?  You used to be pretty level headed and contributed some actual content.  

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Lollll

, no one should be resigned! Green is an awful coach, benning needs to go and please don’t get me started on brown and Nolan.  

If they are all resigned, I will take a picture of me in a maple leafs tidy whitey!    

i seriously have to question anything Canucks related if it comes to pass

It better be tidy. Yuck.

I think a lot of the "upward progression" being discussed can be attributed to the fact that we managed to add at least one star player to the lineup every year since Green made it to the big club. Just sayin'

Edit: Also, the Clarke effect should be taken into consideration when discussing our "upward progression". You know, the one coach that is actually leaving the team.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • RoughGame 1

20 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You’ll have people say the interview were all for show and no one is going to say how they really feel. 

For me that Myers interview said it all. That was not fake. He was the only one to not beat around the bush about what we need to take the next step.

Green and his players have a great relationship no doubt. Green is also respected around the league. Now it would be nice to see some new assistants!

Yeah, the "all for show" thing isn't realistic. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Agree. That Myers interview was spot on and sincere. 

Sure, if any changes, bring in fresh assistants. I do like the idea of bringing in fresh consulting voices as well. 

• Vintage 1