The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buyout Candidates...Will we see any this year?

Rate this topic

CanucksJay

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

The Canucks can't fight it in court because the NHLPA signed off on recapture when signing the then new CBA.

They might've been able to sue not so much for the idea of recapture but the manner in which it was applied.  Ie., they league had already approved on the Luongo contract & applied this policy *retroactively* after the fact.  But I figure the Canucks didn't want to make any waves with league HQ & give them an excuse to screw the team yet again in the future.

4 hours ago, bbllpp said:

I am hesitant for Holtby too given a big chunk of those savings go to a lesser back-up at the cost of 1.9 M dead cap next year 

If Eriksson is sent to the minors I could see the owners pushing for a buyout to save cash (1M real dollars) still prefer sending him down cause he’s a prick if he doesn’t retire after he gets his 1M signing bonus.  In any real world job he’s be fired for not meeting his end of the deal

JV is the only low risk choice given he’s done here and not likely movable until his legal situation is sorted

If we see Eriksson Or Roussel bought out, the ownership will be showing their true colors. They would rather save cash than field the best team possible. 

What is the dollar difference between paying out full salary VS buyout? ($savings to ownership) What is the cap benefit this year VS the additional cap hit next year?  

If we have to take another year of caphits the following year while our cap situation doesn't actually improve this year, ownership is buying / saving cash by selling next year's cap space.

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

If we see Eriksson Or Roussel bought out, the ownership will be showing their true colors. They would rather save cash than field the best team possible. 

What is the dollar difference between paying out full salary VS buyout? ($savings to ownership) What is the cap benefit this year VS the additional cap hit next year?  

If we have to take another year of caphits the following year while our cap situation doesn't actually improve this year, ownership is buying / saving cash by selling next year's cap space.

I could see Eriksson given they might just want to finally put an end to that AWFUL contract and get him away from the team.

I also wouldn't fault them for wanting to save a bit of cash (and spreading the loss over 2 years) given Covid economy etc. And the $1m 'penalty' next year is pretty minimal.

Roussel though I agree, makes little sense. Unfortunate he hasn't been the same since the knee injury and now he's injured again. If he isn't LTIR, Utica likely makes the most sense both financially and from a roster point of view. Highmore can play in his spot.

18 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

um, wut? 

if he's done playing, he can take his bonus and retire and we can hire him as a coach. When he was healthy, he played his ass off for us. 

The structure, length and details of that contract as given to a player his age is unforgivable in my opinion. He got things all-star players get out of free agency and he freaking sucks. That would be a contract to buyout immediately, but you actually lose money buying him out.

Edited by TheCustodian

3 minutes ago, TheCustodian said:

The structure, length and details of that contract as given to a player his age is unforgivable in my opinion. He got things all-star players get out of free agency and he freaking sucks. That would be a contract to buyout immediately, but you actually lose money buying him out.

barking up the wrong tree here, imo. Beagle was overpaid yes, but he also stabilized the bottom 6 and if you actually watched him play you'd see the value. 

The only thing wrong about Beagle's deal is it was a year too long, I don't think that falls under the category of "unforgivable". 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

barking up the wrong tree here, imo. Beagle was overpaid yes, but he also stabilized the bottom 6 and if you actually watched him play you'd see the value. 

The only thing wrong about Beagle's deal is it was a year too long, I don't think that falls under the category of "unforgivable". 

The only "wasted cap space" is LE and Luongo once context is added.   Even Bear, go back and look at what folks said about his contract at the time - it was earned.    A lot of bad luck has followed JB signings which is both understandable and forgivable.   There is a debate as to why not just play Bear after his concussion - he was but once Pearson came in he was done for - not a bottom six type.    Beagle absolutely isn't all that bad.   Especially now that he's going to be on the LTIR. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Even if the NHLPA signs it, it adversly affects the Canucks which is a different entity. Wouldn't the canucks have the right to fight it? 

11 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They might've been able to sue not so much for the idea of recapture but the manner in which it was applied.  Ie., they league had already approved on the Luongo contract & applied this policy *retroactively* after the fact.  But I figure the Canucks didn't want to make any waves with league HQ & give them an excuse to screw the team yet again in the future.

When the NHLPA signed the "New" CBA, so did the Canucks. Basically stating they agree to all recapture penalties and waive their right to legal action regarding those contracts.

Edited by Gawdzukes

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

When the NHLPA signed the "New" CBA, so did the Canucks. Basically stating they agree to all recapture penalties and waive their right to legal action regarding those contracts.

Whelps that puts an end to it I guess lol

On 5/26/2021 at 2:17 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Tough to be ready when he was forced to sit on his ass by management (coaching) for a large chunk of this season.

Forced to sit on his ass? Good lord tell us how you really feel about management? 

Definatly not ideal but nothing about this season has been ideal

In the past, Utica ownership covered the cost to add a few veteran AHL'ers to fill out the Utica roster.  Every AHL team has to have some of these guys to help mentor and shelter all the young prospects.  This year, it will be completely up to Aquillini to foot the bill for these fill-in AHL'ers.  It would make a ton of sense for him to use some of the team's potential buy-out candidates to fill this role instead.  They increase cap space by burying them in the minors and it also keeps him from having to pay out more money for additional players.  This is one reason why using buy-outs actually doesn't  make much financial sense for the Canucks this season.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

In the past, Utica ownership covered the cost to add a few veteran AHL'ers to fill out the Utica roster.  Every AHL team has to have some of these guys to help mentor and shelter all the young prospects.  This year, it will be completely up to Aquillini to foot the bill for these fill-in AHL'ers.  It would make a ton of sense for him to use some of the team's potential buy-out candidates to fill this role instead.  They increase cap space by burying them in the minors and also keep from having to pay out more money for additional players.  This is one reason why using buy-outs actually doesn't  make much financial sense for the Canucks this season.

Interesting take on Utica's roster.

I think a buyout would hurt us more than anything now, should have been done a long time ago. Right now we've got lots of cap we can shed (eg. Vesey) but I would just suck up Eriksson and Roussel's contracts, maybe dump them in minors for a tiny bit of relief. We still have to see who Seattle is going to pick but I doubt it'll be one of those guys, might be lucky if they take Roussel.

Next season may go either way, back in a very weak Pacific division so we might be able to surprise some teams and sneak into the playoffs, even with a load of cap against us, but now's not the time to hinder us in 2 years time because we really should be in our prime by then, complementing our prime young players with decent stars.

On 5/30/2021 at 3:07 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think a buyout would hurt us more than anything now, should have been done a long time ago. Right now we've got lots of cap we can shed (eg. Vesey) but I would just suck up Eriksson and Roussel's contracts, maybe dump them in minors for a tiny bit of relief. We still have to see who Seattle is going to pick but I doubt it'll be one of those guys, might be lucky if they take Roussel.

Next season may go either way, back in a very weak Pacific division so we might be able to surprise some teams and sneak into the playoffs, even with a load of cap against us, but now's not the time to hinder us in 2 years time because we really should be in our prime by then, complementing our prime young players with decent stars.

Totally agree

Buying out Erikkson and Roussel at this point does nothing to help us thisyear (maybe a miniscule amount) but then we carry their cap hits next year.

We've made our bed and slept in it the past 2 years. Might as well finish and do it for 1 more year rather than to deviate now and do something that sets us back next year.

33 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Totally agree

Buying out Erikkson and Roussel at this point does nothing to help us thisyear (maybe a miniscule amount) but then we carry their cap hits next year.

We've made our bed and slept in it the past 2 years. Might as well finish and do it for 1 more year rather than to deviate now and do something that sets us back next year.

Roussel, absolutely not. Unless he can PLAY again, he's likely Abby bound unfortunately.

Buying out Eriksson does save us about $900k of cap vs waiving him. That's an extra player. It also finally closes the book on that dumpster fire contract and just gets him out of the organization. I can see it going either way there as there's +'s and -'s on both sides.

• Cheers 1

I am going to throw this out there as food for thought. In looking at ways to improve the team AND stay under the Cap, I came up with this as a possible route to that end. In this scenario. Edler and Sutter are not re-signed, Roussel is traded, Virtanen and Eriksson are bought out. and Beagle is also traded.

Bold and controversial moves for sure but with the added Cap space the Canucks might be able to land Boone Jenner as the 3C and Seth Jones  as # 1 RD if he is amiable to signing with Vancouver. I feel this would be a big upgrade to what we currently have.

image.jpeg.69b79415a578ad4e1a40b195a9a71b4f.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am going to throw this out there as food for thought. In looking at ways to improve the team AND stay under the Cap, I came up with this as a possible route to that end. In this scenario. Edler and Sutter are not re-signed, Roussel is traded, Virtanen and Eriksson are bought out. and Beagle is also traded.

Bold and controversial moves for sure but with the added Cap space the Canucks might be able to land Boone Jenner as the 3C and Seth Jones  as # 1 RD if he is amiable to signing with Vancouver. I feel this would be a big upgrade to what we currently have.

Only if you know for sure Jenner and Jones will accept that salary. 

14 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Jones is both not a fit here as a person IMO (as much as the player would be) and is going to cost way more than $6m.

Jenner is still under contract next year for $3.75m.

Unrealistic to trade Beagle IMO. He's either injured and on LTIR, or he's our 4C.

Perhaps more achievable:

-Move Ferland to TBL for Killorn + (helps them shed cap/add IR space to utilize similar to their deal last year with OTT).

-Target Jenner for Lind +

-Target guys like Mayfield, Jensen or Manson as ED exposure risks.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Hoglander

Killorn, Jenner, Podkolzin

Highmore, Beagle, Motte

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Mayfield

Juolevi/Rathbone, Myers

• Cheers 1