The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Vasili Podkolzin

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Professional athletes don’t play to lose so the team can get a higher draft pick. What part of that statement do you not understand? 

Here's part of why I will no longer bother.  Some are just on a mission.  If you ask for quotes, I might change my mind and go looking.  Someone gauging the emotion of others then tapping in.  Hmmm.

I haven’t watched the game... but the swing in emotion on this thread has been a perfect distillation of what it is like to be a Canucks fan. If we lose, I fully expect folks to riot and burn the place down

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Provost said:

Ok, now you are just getting honestly silly.

“A higher chance” means a higher chance.  Chance = probability not a certainty.

Words literally have definitions, there are whole books devoted to explaining that.

The people who wanted us to lose a couple more meaningless games at the end of the season simply valued that higher chance more than the outcome of those games.  That is about looking forward in a positive way... not about trashing the team.

If you think Benning is a good amateur scout... then wanting him to have a higher chance of picking the player he wants seems pretty reasonable?

DF9EF01C-F396-4C97-AC83-1F7EE54CC963.jpeg

there's too much variability in who really is BPA in the draft for your theory to matter, though. You say a "higher chance" but you actually can't prove that. Others think playing to win builds character. I think there's more evidence for that, than BPA between 6 and 10 in an unpredictable draft. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Professional athletes don’t play to lose so the team can get a higher draft pick. What part of that statement do you not understand? 

Nobody said they did.  Please cite where I suggested that.  I mean you wouldn’t just be making up random stuff to invent an argument.

It is the organizational brass that can decide that evaluating young players at the end of a lost season is more important than winning a couple games.

Hoping we don’t magically start winning after we get eliminated isn’t the same as saying you think that the players are trying to lose.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ok, now you are just getting honestly silly.

“A higher chance” means a higher chance.  Chance = probability not a certainty.

Words literally have definitions, there are whole books devoted to explaining that.

The people who wanted us to lose a couple more meaningless games at the end of the season simply valued that higher chance more than the outcome of those games.  That is about looking forward in a positive way... not about trashing the team.

If you think Benning is a good amateur scout... then wanting him to have a higher chance of picking the player he wants seems pretty reasonable?

DF9EF01C-F396-4C97-AC83-1F7EE54CC963.jpeg

What specifically, if you were Green, would you have done differently in the last ten games to lose a couple more meaningless games? It seems to me that with the roster that was dressed they had a pretty legitimate shot to lose those games. It just didn’t happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

"Great Signing'  was enough said  :)

" Great signing but we will see" is a fair balanced approach :)

"Great signing but we will see how he does in Green tutelage" is just an attempted drive by smear job. :picard:

How is it a smear job cause you don't know how he will do unless he  does what EP did by - forcing his way into the roster from day one; and look at Schmidt.  I get it, you like Green as coach and this post is just as much a smear job on another poster.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

12 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Not really criticizing him as much as I am the fans in this thread.

Hope this helps.

There's a word for that....

TR ...ying?  Nope, that's not it.

TR ... espassing?   Sort of.

TR ... hmmm on the tip of my tongue.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

How is it a smear job cause you don't know how he will do unless he does what does what EP - forced his way into the roster from day one; and look at Schmidt.  I get it, you like Green as coach and this post is just a smear job on another poster.

I am having a hard time figuring out the first line...can you clarify what it is you're trying to say about EP?

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Man this fan base needs a mental enema :lol:

Anyway... I'm thrilled to see VP officially signed, sealed and delivered. Kid's going to be a beast in due course.

Yay! :towel:

Bang on! It's insane, isn't it!! These people are nuts! Their time is valuable, but they're on here all day long spreading negativity re: every aspect of the team. I love the team and i enjoy this forum (mostly), but it's not the end all be all for me. I'm going outside to enjoy the sunshine / family time...a few of these people on here should probably do the same! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think some of you need to just put a few people on ignore. Every single thread is turning into the same thing over and over on repeat. Please just ignore each other so we can have actual discussions about what the thread is supposed to be about. In this case it's Podkolzin, not whether you think management is good or not. Please stay on topic people.

Congrats to Podkolzin and the Canucks on getting this contract signed. Really excited to see him come over and play next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I am having a hard time figuring out the first line...can you clarify what it is you're trying to say about EP?

From my point of view, EP earned his spot from day one and he never gave the staff a chance to even consider sitting him.  If Podz, will do the same, there is a good chance he will have an impact.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

33 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

There's a word for that....

TR ...ying?  Nope, that's not it.

TR ... espassing?   Sort of.

TR ... hmmm on the tip of my tongue.

Everyone on this board is a fan of the team and loves it. Virtually every argument I end up on in this board is around posters denigrating other fans for their viewpoints.

This junior high immature clique mob mentality of “you only belong if you think and act like us” honestly needs to be shelved.  

A fan can love the team and players and not like the job Benning has done.  A fan can love Green but think his assistant coaches need to be replaced.   Fan can exist in objective reality and still be hopeful.

It was patently obvious who started injecting negativity on this thread and it wasn’t the Vigneault guy... yet you are there with the mob trashing him because you agree with that negativity and not his response.

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I’m so excited. He is our top blue chip prospect and his competitiveness and skill set is one of a kind. He’s shown that he can produce when it matters most in the KHL. It is awfully salivating to see him on a line potentially with Bo and Petey. That would cause some headaches to our opponents. It will, of course, take some time to adjust to NHL level but I feel that he’s ready for the big stage. Go Vasili! Been rooting you on since we drafted you and hope you continue your great development!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Everyone on this board is a fan of the team and loves it. Virtually every argument I end up on in this board is around posters denigrating other fans for their viewpoints.

This junior high immature clique mob mentality of “you only belong if you think and act like us” honestly needs to be shelved.  It is seriously unbecoming, especially from someone who is a moderator.

A fan can love the team and players and not like the job Benning has done.  A fan can love Green but think his assistant coaches need to be replaced.   Fan can exist in objective reality and still be hopeful.

It was patently obvious who started injecting negativity on this thread and it wasn’t the Vigneault guy... yet you are there with the mob trashing him because you agree with that negativity and not his response.

Please stay on topic...we all will do better at that, including me.

• Cheers 1