The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] NHL Draft Lottery, June 2nd @ 4 pm on Sportsnet

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Haven’t read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been said previously….but wouldn’t it be THE MOST CANUCK THING EVER that we win the lottery this year when a generational (or even “elite”) player isn’t there for the taking?

We will be picking 9 or 10 in all likelihood and I trust GMJB to get us a good player there.

To be honest, if we stay at 9 and don’t drop to 10 that will feel like a “win” to me. 

I’ll check in later (it’s gorgeous outside) once Daly starts flipping those cards over.

Yes, the 1st overall pick is guaranteed for Vancouver. Then would be shxxstrom about whether they should pick Luke Hughes or someone else and how does that affect team's relationship with Quinn. 

3 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

No, the franchise altering player is unlikely to be in this draft year, which is why I am very certain Vancouver will win the lottery tonight. :lol:

And if they win?

Matthew Beniers?

Owen Power?

Luke Hughes?

5 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Clarke. Need a stud right D prospect.

Okay, gotta go work on my tan. I’ll be back for the inevitable moment of disappointment familiar to lifelong Canuck fans. 

That would be a bold move to pass on Power considering we’ve needed a big mobile elite puck mover since 1970.

That being said a move back to third and picking up another late first could be a very good move.

Getting Clarke and then flipping the late 1st for someone like Cernak would be awesome.

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

image.jpeg.e6a4e903975e2c8b86d5e12403c691f9.jpegA Torontonian's Map Of Canada - MTL Blog

toronto is going to respark the troubles with that drawing of NI, and I think they have just pissed off all the Glaswegians by placing them in Edinburgh - never piss off the Glaswegians - they are the people who when a couple of terrorist tried to blow up a jeep in Glasgow airport tackled them and gave them a royal shoeing (and a kick to the crotch) saying this is glasgow!

• Haha 1

I’ve gone through the whole thread hoping to see why the 3rd pick was tossed this year when most of the “new” rules don’t go into effect until next year. But just curious why they removed the chance for teams to get the third pick. Do they not want to piss off the Seattle team to drop 3 spots like Vegas did in 2017? I mean a top pick is a top pick and if all the rules they’ve changed for next year (such as a team can’t get the 1OA twice in five years) then why didn’t they just leave it until next year with the 3rd spot. Much appreciated if someone can clarify. Cheers!

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

I’ve gone through the whole thread hoping to see why the 3rd pick was tossed this year when most of the “new” rules don’t go into effect until next year. But just curious why they removed the chance for teams to get the third pick. Do they not want to piss off the Seattle team to drop 3 spots like Vegas did in 2017? I mean a top pick is a top pick and if all the rules they’ve changed for next year (such as a team can’t get the 1OA twice in five years) then why didn’t they just leave it until next year with the 3rd spot. Much appreciated if someone can clarify. Cheers!

500 million dollars that’s why.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

I don't think that's how it works.

If Arizona gets the second pick, only the second pick would be forfeit and redrawn.  The Canucks would still get the first pick.

I think it is a total redraw 

35 minutes ago, Me_ said:

And if they win?

Matthew Beniers?

Owen Power?

Luke Hughes?

Has to be Power. The guy is universally ranked as the top pick. It’s about the best player available and he is it. He would slot into the lineup right away, he is that good and physically capable.

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That would be a bold move to pass on Power considering we’ve needed a big mobile elite puck mover since 1970.

That being said a move back to third and picking up another late first could be a very good move.

Getting Clarke and then flipping the late 1st for someone like Cernak would be awesome.

Is Cernak really worth that? Would signing someone like Jamie Oleksiak, that @Comeback_Kings suggested not serve the same purpose.

Certainly Cernak has produced more offense in his two years in the NHL, and is 24 years old, but I'm wary of trading away a 1st for him. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think Eklund most likely gets taken ahead of our pick I’m just saying it’s definitely not a guarantee with players like McTavish, Wallstedt, and Johnson in the mix. Any one of those guys could be chosen instead of Eklund and it wouldn’t a bad choice.

All depends on which team picks where and what their needs are.

McTavish being the 2nd ranked North American skater who brings size and skill could be valued over Eklund.

Johnson being a highly skilled forward who put up great numbers at Michigan in his first season definitely warrants a top 10 pick. Especially when you consider what Zegras has done out of college.

And then Wallstedt being the number 1 ranked goalie that looks like a player you build a franchise around with what Vasilevsky is currently doing could easily make him a top 10 pick.

But then again maybe one of the D men slip. There’s so many possibilities it actually makes this upcoming draft pretty intriguing.

Definitely the most interesting draft for me in the last number. So much up in the air. My dark horse this draft is Sillinger. Going to be really curious where he goes in the draft. Even guys like Lysell have made a strong push for top 10 picks. 

McTavish could be NHL ready as early as next year. He's a big boy and plays a big boy game. One of the few players past the top 3-5 I think could step in without hesitation next year. Could actually be a perfect pick for our 3rd line center next year if everything works out.

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

500 million dollars that’s why.

I think this expansion fee was $650 million but makes sense. Gary needs to make sure his new 32nd boss is happy with some perks. Much like Vegas is exempt of the ED. Guaranteed top 5 pick for the Krakheads, cool cool. 

51 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Haven’t read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been said previously….but wouldn’t it be THE MOST CANUCK THING EVER that we win the lottery this year when a generational (or even “elite”) player isn’t there for the taking?

We will be picking 9 or 10 in all likelihood and I trust GMJB to get us a good player there.

To be honest, if we stay at 9 and don’t drop to 10 that will feel like a “win” to me. 

I’ll check in later (it’s gorgeous outside) once Daly starts flipping those cards over.

That’s what I fear, where we win the lottery, and are “forced” to pick a Hischer than a Pettersson.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1