The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] NHL Draft Lottery, June 2nd @ 4 pm on Sportsnet

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

12 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, SEA has a lock on the 3rd?

Got this feeling that the Canucks will get the #2, because that's what their season looked like.

As much as I'd like a D, I'm thinking this line could provide head-spinning magic for ten plus years:

Eklund - Pettersson - Hoglander

He's my guy as well. Too many horror stories with D being drafted 1-3 and that's been in drafts with supposed can't miss like RD for example. Eklund or using the pick to grab someone that fits the young core via trade is what I'm hoping for. I think the 2nd+ rounds will have some hidden gems where we can swing for some D prospects.

My fear is winning and drafting Power only to see him become the next giddy.

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Ill take Dahlin over Hughes and so would anyone else in their right mind.

Why because he has size? And before you say well look at the Sabres, the same can be said about Quinn and the team he plays for. Being on a bad team will hurt the defensive stats for sure but he was flat-out terrible the last season and wasn't great the season before. The things he was supposed to be good at have been regressing and as someone who is a Sabres fan and watched almost every game of his it has been quite alarming. He makes a lot of low IQ moves and at this point is living of his draft hype and rookie season. He's only 6 months younger than Quinn and came in physically a lot more NHL ready, Quinn is already much better offensively and despite being much smaller has been better defensively. Sadly people still buy into size matters and hold on to the he will be a Hedman clone because Hedman took a few years as well to breakout. Sadly I see him being just another of a long line of big D that we're overhyped based on size and excelling on the big ice. Hope I'm wrong tho.

5 hours ago, internationalhippy said:

Got this on my first try.665448228_ScreenShot2021-06-01at10_51_12PM.thumb.png.55b99c34c434545dafe484d2b64a4fb0.png

Took 4 toys to get this

1653316474_ScreenShot2021-06-01at10_51_50PM.thumb.png.8a3f5f9427122f8fe72cafc0e2f99914.png

If New York gets another top 3 pick I’ll be so pissed.   I strongly believe that if you win 1OA you should not be allowed another top 3 pick for the next 3 years or so 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

Some question on how much of his dominance is his 'man against boys' size. While he's certainly not a dunce, he also doesn't have the IQ of Clarke (skilled/smart enough to play with Hughes as you pointed out?).

Powers strikes me as something between Hedman and say... Myers. Is he more Hedman... or more Myers? That's the question!

And yes, Clark is a righty, which also suits our needs better.

But really there's very little separating Powers, Clarke, Benier and Edvinsson. They could go in just about any order.

He's playing in College - not really against boys (Power), and if you believe Button he's said like Pronger and Lidstrom he controls the entire pace of a hockey game, to me that means hockey IQ is off the charts.    Haven't seen that comp made anywhere since Dahlin (the NEXT Lidstrom, and Pronger can't remember that one).   Clarke is a RHD but it appears there is a level with the top and then the next five or so guys.   Also showed he can play in international tourneys, against vet NHLers (Power).   Plus what a cool hockey name! 

Draft has a suspicious EP draft like feel too it, mostly Covid related.   If we win first overall you take Power, he can play right away, and is your Edler replacement.  Also means one of OJ or Rathbone become expendable (Rathbone for me unless we do a blockbuster QHs trade). 

Either that or you trade down a few spots, with the caveat that whomever you trade with doesn't take Clarke.   Edv from Sweden also looks like a decent Edler replacement but if we had to take a LHD, Power or nobody for me at least with first overall.   Feel we end up with a C this draft.   Based on where we draft all the top end LHDs will be gone, same with Clarke .... not worth a flyer on yet another LHD at 9-11.   

Edit:  Also have to wonder ... if we win the lotto, would JB make a trade for Seth Jones?   Take our first overall, and LE for example.   They know Jones isn't staying.   If i was CLB i'd do that deal.    It would have to be a trade and re-sign deal.   Jones 7.5 x 7 or something.    Our right side would then be sorted for the duration of our cores prime.   

Power for sure will end up a blue chip NHLer.   But it will take time.   CLB is now in rebuild mode...again or at least a massive re-tool. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Would not bet on nucks winning lottery with even 50 percent change of winning,

Based on history and 5 percent chance, it is a nice story but won`t happen.

THIS IS CANUCKS, WE DON`T WIN LOTTERIES,OILERS AND RANGERS DO.

Edited by alucard
  • Huggy Bear 1