The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

There seems to be 9 players that are consistently in the top ten of most lists. I imagine which of the big 9 is available to us when we draft is who Benning will take. 
The four D, and forwards Beniers, Eklund, Johnson, McTavish, and Guenther. 

Having said that I wouldn’t be surprised, or upset, if he went with Lysell. 

1. Buffalo: Owen Power, LHD, Michigan-Big Ten

There’s been some discourse about Buffalo considering their options at No. 1 other than Power, in particular William Eklund and Luke Hughes have been the alternatives I’ve heard, but I still think at the end of the day it will be Power.

2. Seattle: Matthew Beniers, C, Big Ten

Beniers has been No. 2 in every mock we’ve done here so far. I’ve heard from a few league sources mentioning Eklund as a possibility here, but I still think more likely than not it will be Beniers. The lack of center options in the expansion draft is a variable for Seattle, too, I think.

3. Anaheim: Dylan Guenther, RW, Edmonton-WHL

We’ve had Guenther at No. 3 in almost every mock we’ve done here and he’s here again. In a scenario where Seattle goes in a different direction than above, sources around the league think Anaheim would consider Beniers here over Guenther.

4. New Jersey: Luke Hughes, LHD, U.S. NTDP-USHL

The Devils have been one of the tougher teams to figure out among the lottery clubs. I’ve heard everything from this definitely will be Luke Hughes to this definitely will not be Luke Hughes. Helpful reporting, I know. I’ve heard more of the former in recent days with Simon Edvinsson being the other possibility.

5. Columbus: Simon Edvinsson, LHD, Frolounda-SHL

With Columbus I’ve heard a lot of Edvinsson and Mason McTavish discussions. In this scenario, they take the big Swede, but I think it could be McTavish if New Jersey went Edvinsson.

6. Detroit: Mason McTavish, C, Peterborough-OHL

I’m not even going to pretend I know what Detroit is up to other than hunches and guesses from league sources (they run a tight ship). Hughes and McTavish have been the two names I’ve heard speculated here the most.

7. San Jose: William Eklund, LW, Djurgarden-SHL

Eklund is a tough one to mock. If he doesn’t go to one of the first few teams, I think he starts to fall a bit. People around the league see San Jose as a landing spot in this scenario. If he does go before here, you could be looking at whichever of the big four defensemen, such as Edvinsson or Brandt Clarke, are left.

8. Los Angeles: Brandt Clarke, RHD, Barrie-OHL

The Kings have had a lot of draft capital in recent years, but they haven’t drafted a premium defense talent yet, which is why sources around the league think L.A. will take whichever of the consensus top four defense prospects are remaining. In this scenario it would be Clarke.

9. Vancouver: Kent Johnson, C, Michigan-Big Ten

Vancouver is expected to take whichever of the consensus top nine skaters are still left, which in this scenario would be Johnson.

That's Corey Pronman's top 9. Full article here: https://theathletic.com/2708052/2021/07/16/nhl-mock-draft-2021-from-1-to-224-corey-pronman-projects-all-seven-rounds/

Brandt Clarke so close you can almost taste him...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

That's Corey Pronman's top 9. Full article here: https://theathletic.com/2708052/2021/07/16/nhl-mock-draft-2021-from-1-to-224-corey-pronman-projects-all-seven-rounds/

Brandt Clarke so close you can almost taste him...

And I’ve seen other mock drafts where Clarke is available at #9 (because someone took Wallstedt). Draft day will be exciting (if we keep our pick).

Edited by steviewonder20
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Also ironically for how much Will Scouch poops on Johnson's game, even he took him at 9 for his mock draft. I tend to actually agree it's a good pick at #9. I still have quite a few prospects to look up but so far I'm pretty keen on Johnson and Lysell for the #9 position. Whether they'll be there though who knows. I anticipate Johnson will get taken around the #6 spot but I can easily see Lysell drop to us just based on size alone. 

Well, if Clarke is still on the board after Detroit picks, which I don't think they take him, being they have Seider

I think the Canucks should offer San Jose the Canuck's  2022-2nd to swap spots, that or one of our prospects

not named Hoglander, Podkolzin, Woo or Rathbone. (So any of Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro, or Jasek)

IMO, San Jose will jump at it, as they need so many things, adding another prospect, would add good value for the swap.

So...........Clarke at 7-OA if still on the board

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 4:07 PM, NUCKER67 said:

warming up to the idea

2023/24

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Svechkov - Podkolzin

I really really really REALLY really want to like this idea, but my past experience with Russian Canucks players tell me that I’ll be let down at some point.  Krutov discovering his love twinkies, Bure demanding a trade, Mogilny not caring after the 95-96 season, Followed by Koltsov, Chubarov, and Tryamkin all turning their backs on the Canucks.  

I will have to admit though - Svechkov and Dickinson on a line together could be our version of ZAR-Bluegar-Tanev in Pittsburgh......but I’m not sure if trust Russians with Canucks and I know that’s a terribly bigoted thing to say.  

If it was up to me, I’d even explore the idea of moving Podkolzin + 9OA for 1st OA or Dahlin.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:44 PM, Patel Bure said:

I really really really REALLY really want to like this idea, but my past experience with Russian Canucks players tell me that I’ll be let down at some point.  Krutov discovering his love twinkies, Bure demanding a trade, Mogilny not caring after the 95-96 season, Followed by Koltsov, Chubarov, and Tryamkin all turning their backs on the Canucks.  

I will have to admit though - Svechkov and Dickinson on a line together could be our version of ZAR-Bluegar-Tanev in Pittsburgh......but I’m not sure if trust Russians with Canucks and I know that’s a terribly bigoted thing to say.  

If it was up to me, I’d even explore the idea of moving Podkolzin + 9OA for 1st OA or Dahlin.

Who would you draft at 1st? Beniers? 

On 7/17/2021 at 11:16 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Well, if Clarke is still on the board after Detroit picks, which I don't think they take him, being they have Seider

I think the Canucks should offer San Jose the Canuck's  2022-2nd to swap spots, that or one of our prospects

not named Hoglander, Podkolzin, Woo or Rathbone. (So any of Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro, or Jasek)

IMO, San Jose will jump at it, as they need so many things, adding another prospect, would add good value for the swap.

So...........Clarke at 7-OA if still on the board

If I'm San Jose, I'm not taking that trade. A good player is pretty much guaranteed to drop to 7, but not to 9. This draft just has too many holes to be comfortable at 9, in my opinion. 

Mind you there definitely will be some steals in this draft. Because so many players have good traits coupled with bad tendencies, there's really maybe only a couple safe bets in the top 10-15 of this draft which is lower than most years. With that insecurity you'd have to offer more if I were San Jose, in my opinion. Though DiPietro is probably the biggest chance of success seeing as they need goaltending still. 

46 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Who would you draft at 1st? Beniers? 

Owen Power by a country mile.  Canucks’ biggest long term need is an Alex Edler replacement that can take on the tough top pairing match ups and this guy definitely fits the bill.  You can then have Hughes anchoring a 2nd pairing and dominating the offense from that pairing while keeping him away from tougher match ups that would expose his defensive game.

8 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Owen Power by a country mile.  Canucks’ biggest long term need is an Alex Edler replacement that can take on the tough top pairing match ups and this guy definitely fits the bill.  You can then have Hughes anchoring a 2nd pairing and dominating the offense from that pairing while keeping him away from tougher match ups that would expose his defensive game.

From my perspective that's a hugely risky pick. Nothing aside from his height and weight has shown he's very good at defense. His fundamentals are severely lacking and although he's a good skater for his size, what he does with that skating needs a lot of coaching to be done. He almost looks uncomfortable skating backwards the way he plays his gaps. 

Mind you, that's very Edler-like so if that's what you're going for! Lol

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

From my perspective that's a hugely risky pick. Nothing aside from his height and weight has shown he's very good at defense. His fundamentals are severely lacking and although he's a good skater for his size, what he does with that skating needs a lot of coaching to be done. He almost looks uncomfortable skating backwards the way he plays his gaps. 

Mind you, that's very Edler-like so if that's what you're going for! Lol

That’s really good info to know Mikey as I wasn’t aware of that.   Not too stray too far from the topic, but would you ever consider doing something like Podkolzin++ for Dahlin, under the expectation that Brad Shaw would be able to turn Dahlin into the superstar that he was projected to be?  If we’re looking for that long term two all-star to replace Edler, this would be another option.

30 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

That’s really good info to know Mikey as I wasn’t aware of that.   Not too stray too far from the topic, but would you ever consider doing something like Podkolzin++ for Dahlin, under the expectation that Brad Shaw would be able to turn Dahlin into the superstar that he was projected to be?  If we’re looking for that long term two all-star to replace Edler, this would be another option.

I'd definitely have to research it more. From what I gather Dahlin has really fallen off but I hear it's due to a lack of confidence more so than a lack of talent. I'd also like to see Podkolzin play at the NHL level just to see what he brings to the table because he could have some really high value but at this point I don't think I'd even do that trade straight up (but mainly out of ignorance at this point). The tricky thing is finding top 4 defensemen in this league though, and finding them young and/or cheap is really challenging. I always feel it's best to go through the drafting route for this method however I think you're right in saying that for Dahlin they'd probably be looking for Podkolzin++. He still has value and Podz is still unproven. Timing just doesn't feel right to me though before at least having a look at the player at this level. 

I'm also not convinced at all that this organization can turn defenders around. I think at this level we are more adept at actually regressing our defensemen sadly with the style of play this team incorporates. 

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Faber from CA speculating that Hughes might be on the board at 9.  

I’m kinda hoping for McTavish or Clarke but wouldn’t that be fun?

I have a feeling he will drop. He looks like he still rides his bike to school with a bagged lunch. 

4 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I have a feeling he will drop. He looks like he still rides his bike to school with a bagged lunch. 

3 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

He is not very intelligent. 

Maybe he’ll get smarter as he matures :lol:

I don’t overly care about the brother schtick but I’d be pretty happy to land him.

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I'd definitely have to research it more. From what I gather Dahlin has really fallen off but I hear it's due to a lack of confidence more so than a lack of talent. I'd also like to see Podkolzin play at the NHL level just to see what he brings to the table because he could have some really high value but at this point I don't think I'd even do that trade straight up (but mainly out of ignorance at this point). The tricky thing is finding top 4 defensemen in this league though, and finding them young and/or cheap is really challenging. I always feel it's best to go through the drafting route for this method however I think you're right in saying that for Dahlin they'd probably be looking for Podkolzin++. He still has value and Podz is still unproven. Timing just doesn't feel right to me though before at least having a look at the player at this level. 

I'm also not convinced at all that this organization can turn defenders around. I think at this level we are more adept at actually regressing our defensemen sadly with the style of play this team incorporates. 

Thats why they hired Brad Shaw, he's a defense whisperer lol. I think he will help the defense.