The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Rangers name Gerard Gallant as head coach

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

I don’t think it is a illusion of logic wanting him hear. Actually seems logical tbh. He’s was arguably the best coach available.

But we have the multiple Jack Adams trophy winner in Travis Green already!  Green has won the championship as a head coach in every level of hockey.  :ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

As much as I don't want to admit this, that's an excellent signing on the Rangers' part.    

I love Gallant and wished that we would have signed him here.   

My only *slight* concern with Gallant is to why he's been let go twice already, both by Florida and Vegas.   

Perhaps there's an underlying issue that we are unaware of?    

• Cheers 1

I am/was on the "Hire Gallant" train when the news broke out that he was available and looking to make his return back to the NHL. 

However, there are many reasons for Gallant to not choose Vancouver, including the scrutiny of playing/being in a Canadian market (from media and fans alike), the players within the main roster and farm team to coach with, his family's preference for a particular geographical area (on that note, they could always use the Point Roberts approach), amongst others. 

On top of those possible reasons, our management group felt comfortable moving forward with Green as our head coach and has now supported him with retaining Clark, and adding in Shaw, so I will hold off on being vocal about this decision without seeing a revised roster and gameplan. I will make comments after having some time for the coaching staff and the team to gel, if we made the right call or not. 

Making a prediction now. Should we play the Rangers in the upcoming season (given the plans for reopening/restarting, etc), I see us winning a third of the games we plan against them (which will spark more conversation about how we have lost to him, after losing on him as a coach). 

All the best for Gallant moving forward with the Rangers (but until we win our Cup, I still dislike them for '94).