The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blackhawks working on Duncan Keith trade to Pacific Northwest or Western Canada

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They’ve gotta add a pick for taking on an extra year of cap.

I bet Seattle would take him though just for the marketing factor. Better pick than Holtby or Gadjovich.

You are missing the fact he has a NMC so takes up a protection slot and won’t be picked up by Seattle

• Vintage 1

He doesn't like the Canucks AT ALL! I mean MAYBE he would come here because the entire core has been turned over, but this smells more like a waiving his NMC, so Seattle selects him. He's from Winnipeg, but his home is in the Okanagan. Was at the airport in Kelowna a few years back, saw him, and he made a very sarcastic comment about the Canucks. I forget what it was, but he definitely didn't seem like he's gonna be coming to Vancouver. Maybe Edmonton? That's my guess. Edmonton or Seattle.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

He doesn't like the Canucks AT ALL! I mean MAYBE he would come here because the entire core has been turned over, but this smells more like a waiving his NMC, so Seattle selects him. He's from Winnipeg, but his home is in the Okanagan. Was at the airport in Kelowna a few years back, saw him, and he made a very sarcastic comment about the Canucks. I forget what it was, but he definitely didn't seem like he's gonna be coming to Vancouver. Maybe Edmonton? That's my guess. Edmonton or Seattle.

He's from Fort Frances, Ontario, moved to Penticton when he was 14.  He has a lakefront home here in Penticton, and his ex-wife and child live here.  I don't believe "deal" is with the Canucks either.

5 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I really don't get it, Keuth can move to Pentictin anytime he wants. 

Those retirement papers just need to be drafted up and signed and away he goes off into the sunset never to be mentioned here again.

I actually wonder how much longer he plans to play. Only slated to earn $2.1M in salary next season, and $1.5M the following - with big escrow on each.

If he retires though, there will be some big recapture penalties for Chicago - around $4M per year (whether it's 1 year or 2). So this might be a case of Chicago trying to appease the player to make sure he doesn't decide to retire before his contract is done.

• Thanks 2

There are actually a few reasons why Keith coming to the Canucks, beyond the potential fan backlash, makes a lot of sense. Consider this potential deal as an example:

To Vancouver: Keith + Subban

To Chicago: Holtby + Virtanen (who would then be bought out by Chicago)

For one, it saves the Canucks a ton of actual cash. Keith only makes $3.6M in salary over the next 2 seasons, and Subban makes $950K (which is almost the minimum you'd have to pay a decent backup anyways). Contrast that with Holtby's $5.7M salary, and the $1.4M to buy out Virtanen, and there are considerable cash savings. There have been indications that real dollars are a concern to the Canucks right now, so a few extra million could be a real incentive.

Secondly, Benning has gone on record saying how important it is to have veterans who know how to win. Keith is definitely that. He also has played the type of defensive game that a guy like Hughes would do well to emulate. Having him on the team could be a good influence on Hughes.

And lastly, he's still not a bad defenseman. He's nowhere near what he was in his prime, but he can still play. Problem is Chicago is relying on him too much - he still averages over 23 minutes a game for them (more than any Canuck). Putting him in Edler's role would be an improvement (Keith nearly doubled Edler's points, and took half the penalties). Edler has been a great Canuck, but he's starting to run out of gas.

If it makes sense for Keith (due to his family ties), then it is a good fit for the Canucks too (on the ice and in the books, anyways). And it also makes sense for Chicago, as their cap situation is dire in the season after next (have to re-sign Kubalik, Dach, Lankinen, Boqvist, etc, with 1 more year still left on Kane/Toews/Keith). The 2nd year of Keith's deal is the problem for them, but it isn't much of an issue for Vancouver, who have lots of cap room in 2022-23.

The only real problem for Vancouver is potential fan backlash. That might be why this story was leaked in this way. There's enough in the tweet to suggest it could be Vancouver, and prompt a reaction from the fans. But it's also vague enough to explain it away if the fan reaction is too harsh.

Myself? I think the deal would improve the team, and saves them money. So I'm willing to park any negative feelings from the past to get it done. I mean, if Daniel Sedin is willing to do that (which he must be if the rumor is for Vancouver), then why wouldn't us fans?

Edited by D-Money

Why on earth would the Canuck GM have ANY interest in acquiring a 5m plus cap hit LEFT handed D man with a NMC who is 38 soon!? Its questionable if we should be signing 35 year old Edler to a 1 year deal for like half of what Keith makes, let alone the age difference, NMC & extra year on the deal. No dice from this Canuck fan, we have ZERO need for him on our team.

Seattle, Edmonton, Calgary and maybe Winnipeg are the teams NOT Vancouver

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

I actually wonder how much longer he plans to play. Only slated to earn $2.1M in salary next season, and $1.5M the following - with big escrow on each.

If he retires though, there will be some big recapture penalties for Chicago - around $4M per year (whether it's 1 year or 2). So this might be a case of Chicago trying to appease the player to make sure he doesn't decide to retire before his contract is done.

Nothing would please me more than to see the Balckhawks get burned the same way the Canucks did with cap recapture.

Even though this is a low down dirt bag scum bag dealing of Bettman to impose after the fact I still want to see Chicago have to suffer through it as well. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Got a feeling Holtby would be involved.

VAN

Keith

Zadorov

2nd ‘21

CHI

Virtanen

Holtby

But I feel the Canucks’ fairy of non violent life would subdue them both.

Edited by Me_

8 hours ago, Provost said:

You are missing the fact he has a NMC so takes up a protection slot and won’t be picked up by Seattle

yes but he can waive it, if he's happy to be there then he can choose to do that. Seattle can just get him for free, or if CHI wants to ensure he's the guy picked it will cost them a pick. 

He's not worth anything in a deal. CHI has to take back dead salary from us, and they won't get any assets for him.

I'm sure Edmonton would take him for free, but I just can't see them taking Neal. I mean why would they? 

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

VAN

Keith

Zadorov

2nd ‘21

CHI

Virtanen

Holtby

I think we're better off just buying out Jake and Holtby and using that to go after a 3C, and re-upping Hamoic. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Me_ said:

VAN

Keith

Zadorov

2nd ‘21

CHI

Virtanen

Holtby

I like the idea of picking up Zadorov… but O don’t think we have two space on LD to fill with Rathbone or Juolevi ready to play

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I like the idea of picking up Zadorov… but O don’t think we have two space on LD to fill with Rathbone or Juolevi ready to play

Agreed.

Back to:

CHI

Virtanen

VAN

Zadorov

• Vintage 1

LeBrun is speculating CHI wants to take a crack at landing Jones. If thats true,, they need a team like EDM to take Keith for free, maybe even pay something to move him to EDM. I just don't see CHI taking any signifiant salary back. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

LeBrun is speculating CHI wants to take a crack at landing Jones. If thats true,, they need a team like EDM to take Keith for free, maybe even pay something to move him to EDM. I just don't see CHI taking any signifiant salary back. 

If it's not cap for cap, EDM is out. They can't afford to do that.

Has to be SEA then.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

If it's not cap for cap, EDM is out. They can't afford to do that.

Has to be SEA then.

Seattle makes sense, Imagine calling duncan keith on the starting roster (2 time norris winner, 2 time stanley cup and olympic gold) there will probably be players from the area that used to play with him, get some hype around him.