The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blackhawks working on Duncan Keith trade to Pacific Northwest or Western Canada

11 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Lmfao

Maybe could end up in a mutual contract termination if he is really intent in moving out West.  The ask feels unrealistic for a D that turns 38 this month and has a 5.5M cap hit.

He is owed 3.6M in salary.  If Edmonton is interested they might be willing to offer him a deal that could cover part of that loss.

Chicago would be hit with the recapture penalty of 3.74M for 2 seasons.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Maybe could end up in a mutual contract termination if he is really intent in moving out West.  The ask feels unrealistic for a D that turns 38 this month and has a 5.5M cap hit.

He is owed 3.6M in salary.  If Edmonton is interested they might be willing to offer him a deal that could cover part of that loss.

Chicago would be hit with the recapture penalty of 3.74M for 2 seasons.

Sounds like chicago is also close to a zarodov extension. Busy time in chicago 

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Sounds like chicago is also close to a zarodov extension. Busy time in chicago 

Wonder if they'll have Keith waive for expansion.  Don't see him being picked up but there's really no risk for him.

Edited by mll

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Wonder if they'll have Keith waive for expansion.  Don't see him being picked up but there's really no risk for him.

If thats really where he wants to go why wouldnt he waive but i dunno why seattle would grab him for. Would open up a spot for chicago so why not.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If thats really where he wants to go why wouldnt he waive but i dunno why seattle would grab him for. Would open up a spot for chicago so why not.

Seattle could take another player from Chicago and trade for Keith for relatively cheap if they know its somewhere he really wants to go. 

14 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Seattle could take another player from Chicago and trade for Keith for relatively cheap if they know its somewhere he really wants to go. 

Jim Principoo on 650 yesterday made it sound like Keith to the Soilers was pretty much a for sure thing.  

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am cool with him going to any division rival. The Hawks get seriously outshot with him on the ice now lol.

Totally agree.  That’s two more years the Oilers will waste of McD and dr. Drai because they have no cap room to balance their lineup.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jim Principoo on 650 yesterday made it sound like Keith to the Soilers was pretty much a for sure thing. 

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am cool with him going to any division rival. The Hawks get seriously outshot with him on the ice now lol.

Would love to see him on the Oilers another Ken Holland mistake would be great...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

Would love to see him on the Oilers another Ken Holland mistake would be great...

yeah been hearing a lot about this locally - does not make sense from a Coilers standpoint but agree - the longer they suck the better so we can watch Connor head East :P

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Seattle ends up with Keith, and they make him the first Kraken captain, would you instantly hate Seattle? would that create too nasty of a rivalry? 

I don't think do, but I'm also fully expecting to hate Seattle regardless 

They'll be our Calgary vs Edmonton because of the proximity, but it'll be fun I think 

Probably painful, knowing how things go for us, but fun

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They'll be our Calgary vs Edmonton because of the proximity, but it'll be fun I think 

My half wishful thinking bet is that we absolutely pump Seattle for at least half a decade.  

I just can’t see Vegas-like success replicated considering how many guys went on to take major (yet late in career) huge steps forward upon landing with the Knights.  Add in GMs having that situation to learn from… I foresee a more traditional expansion team rocky start for the Kraken.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

yeah that sounds about right 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

My half wishful thinking bet is that we absolutely pump Seattle for at least half a decade.  

I just can’t see Vegas-like success replicated considering how many guys went on to take major (yet late in career) huge steps forward upon landing with the Knights.  Add in GMs having that situation to learn from… I foresee a more traditional expansion team rocky start for the Kraken.

I'd love us to wreck em, but I dunno 

I agree though, I don't see them being a Vegas type force right out the gate 

I figure they'll grab what picks and players they can, but that they'll be playing the long game for a while 

• Cheers 1

That's obivously catch 22:

- the blackhawks try to clear some cap in order to be able to sign either Seth Jones or Dougie Hamilton

- the Oilers can't take on Keith $ 5.5 million cap hit because they have to re-sign Larsson and Barrie

- the solution: Hawks have to retain salary to make this deal happen.

Luke Fox of Sportsnet: Duncan Keith carries a $5.5 million salary cap hit for two more years but only salaries of $2.1 million and $1.5 million.

The Seattle Kraken could benefit from Keith’s experience, but so could the Edmonton Oilers. Could the Oilers convince the Chicago Blackhawks to retain some salary and/or take the contract of goaltender Mikko Koskinen ($4.5 million)?

Daniel Nugent-Bowman of The Athletic: There is a mutual interest between the Edmonton Oilers and Blackhawks Duncan Keith. A source said that it has to be for ‘the right price and under the right circumstances’ for the Oilers.

The soon-to-be 38-year old would likely be slotted on their second pairing.

A source said the Oilers want the Blackhawks to retain salary or take a bad contract. James Neal has two years left at $5.75 million is an option (he’s also a buyout option). Zack Kassian has three years left on his deal at $3.2 million per and could be a candidate. The Blackhawks could be looking for a veteran goaltender but it’s unlikely they’d want Mikko Koskinen.

If the Blackhawks retain salary, the Oilers would likely then send a young player. Defenseman Caleb Jones carries an $850,000 cap hit and wouldn’t be enough to even out the money.

The Oilers can’t take on all of Keith’s cap hit (without moving salary) as it would impede their ability to re-sign Adam Larsson or Tyson Barrie, and they’ll need to give Darnell Nurse a raise from his $5.6 million the following year.

Oilers GM Ken Holland is expected to meet with defenseman Oscar Klefbom and his agent this week. He had surgery back in March and his status remains in question. It may take until the fall till they have a better understanding of his status. They could LTIR his $4.167 million salary if he can’t go.

The Oilers would prefer to trade for Keith after the expansion draft. If they trade for him before, they would have wait to re-sign Larsson or Tyson Barrie. Keith would have to be protected for the expansion draft as he has a no-movement clause.

Duncan Keith is washed up and overpaid. Any GM wanting this guy is a fool. Seattle doesn’t need his “experience” and the Oilers should focus on their own pending UFA defencemen rather than Keith. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Duncan Keith is washed up and overpaid. Any GM wanting this guy is a fool. Seattle doesn’t need his “experience” and the Oilers should focus on their own pending UFA defencemen rather than Keith. 

He’s actually not bad in a limited bottom pairing role now and experience is always valuable.
Chicago expecting not to take money back for him is unreasonable though.