The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thousands dead in unmarked graves from Canadian Residential Schools

MeanSeanBean

Just now, stawns said:

I'd bet my bottom dollar it's not indigenous burning down churches

It's dubious to say all of the burning churches are indigenous people , but the opposite is an even more unbelievable statement. Anger makes people do stupid things.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'd bet my bottom dollar it's not indigenous burning down churches

You don't know that. Would it be fair to say it's not white people taking down statues too? Or are we missing something here with these random guesses?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Pardon me? Did you just compare me saying people should be respectful of others culture and shut their mouths when it doesn't effect them to the abusive assimilation of our first people?

Get off the cross, we need the wood. 

• Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 2

15 minutes ago, Kryten said:

Get off the cross, we need the wood. 

Take your toxic behavior elsewhere, this is a place for people to be respectful in regards to the ongoing situation. 

Edited by shayster007
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Kryten said:

I imagine this was what residential schools expected of their prisoners/pupils. 

Valid point. 

comform to what the power wants, be it government or social media, or else.

Society should be everybody has a voice, not just those that are in power or politicaly/socially  alligned.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

Valid point. 

Society should be everybody has a voice, not just those that are in power or politicaly/socially  alligned.

And those voices should be respected even when you don't agree with the other person.

By discussing problems/issue's we can take steps to working them out and not making the same mistakes again.

Showing respect and dignity to others costs you nothing and gains their respect which will then lead to a dialogue that has a chance to make real change or heal old wounds.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Did the Empire have similar schools in their other colonies?  Maybe this is our sin, and not the British?  

Yes, I’m not trying to deflect blame for the Residential Schools from Canada to Britain: they were created by politicians in Canada.  I’m just pointing out that Canada was an integral part of the British Empire, which kind of did try to take over the world.  Canadian Citizenship did not exist until 1947.  Until then residents of Canada were either British subjects (issued with British passports) or non-subjects.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shayster007 said:

And if you are not part of that group of people, your only job is to shut up, listen, and be respectful.

We are all part of the same group.

Until we realise this $#@# like this will always happen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kryten said:

$&@% all racists. Those who abused First Nations peoples then and now, and the CRT pimps in this thread. Seriously, go $&@# yourselves. 

I gotta ask what are CRT pimps my friend ?

When I looked it up I got cathode ray tube 

Don't know anyone pimping them.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ilunga said:

I gotta ask what are CRT pimps my friend ?

When I looked it up I got cathode ray tube 

Don't know anyone pimping them.

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is this an allusion to your ‘CRT pimp’ comment?  

Seriously, you’re not making any sense.  

My guess; CRT = Critical Race Theory. 'CRT pimp' might be something like a hardcore progressive or 'SJW' that adheres to & pushes the ideology/world view...

That said I haven't seen anyone here pushing those lines of thinking in this thread. Alot of very good posts, & great (honest) perspectives here. Not sure where he's attributing that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

My guess; CRT = Critical Race Theory. 'CRT pimp' might be something like a hardcore progressive or 'SJW' that adheres to & pushes the ideology/world view...

That said I haven't seen anyone here pushing those lines of thinking in this thread. Alot of very good posts, & great (honest) perspectives here. Not sure where he's attributing that. 

Thanks SK 

I haven't even heard of that theory 

Bit of research coming up.

Thinking I am going to be a bit bummed with my species 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coda said:

Well, in the period most of the people in the unmarked graves were buried and until the Statute of Westminster of 1931 Canada was an integral part of the British Empire with its trade policies and foreign relations largely mandated from London.  And the British Empire at that time was much larger than Nazi Germany at the peak of its conquests.  

After doing some searching looks like this guy is the culprit of it, but did read that the government supposedly sent him to the USA to investigate first.

Nicholos Flood Davin (1840-1901)

"The Davin Report"

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Coda said:

Yes, I’m not trying to deflect blame for the Residential Schools from Canada to Britain: they were created by politicians in Canada.  I’m just pointing out that Canada was an integral part of the British Empire, which kind of did try to take over the world.  Canadian Citizenship did not exist until 1947.  Until then residents of Canada were either British subjects (issued with British passports) or non-subjects.  

Thanks for making the point on Canadian citizenship.

I then checked Aussie citizenship and it didn't exist until 1949.

In 1975 when my parents took me to England my father who was an Englishman wanted to get my brother and I to be included on his English passport however because we are adopted they would not accommodate him.

It greatly distressed him and reinforced my belief that governments treated people like myself as second rate citizens.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1

The only way I see "Truth and Reconciliation" in any way is to spend the money to find any remaining graves at these former residential schools and then establish a memorial with the names of all the children in those graves so we can remember what was allowed to happen and ensure it never happens again!!!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Kryten said:

No.

I pushed back on your post and you were seemingly incredulous that I dare question your authority. I’m not toxic, you are just acting out instead of reflecting on what you wrote. I mean c’mon, you are trying to police everyone in this thread. I suggest you go back and look, or don’t, idc.

Anyways, I love Gurn’s energy and Jimmy’s pragmatism but I doubt we will get anything but the usual virtue signalling from the usual suspects. Voting is the only way to put your opinion into action but it really doesn’t seem to carry much weight does it? I don’t have the solution, I don’t think anyone save the PM has it? At least in terms of funding (found some cash for Covid relief but not Waywayseecappo?).

I like the thought behind investing in a memorial but it again smacks of virtue signalling to me. A memorial for Canada to look upon and feel better about itself instead of actually helping the people(s) that were victimized.

IMO, we should put all available monies, donations, volunteers into ensuring every First Nations community has infrastructure and access to clean, running water etc etc etc. I don’t know how, but the politicians need to keep the thought of the publicity of unveiling a touching memorial out of their heads and focus on actually keeping future First Nations peoples from continuing to die too young.

A virtue signal from me, but seriously, why has this not happened yet? Why are towns like Waywayseecappo still in so much trouble? This gov’t (and others) seem to never fail at explaining how sorry they are while doing nothing to actually help. Maybe sports teams and businesses that are eager to plaster themselves with orange hearts for all to see would be willing to put their money where their mouths are (pipe dream, but whatever). I wonder if the church would be able to spare some coin....may need to revisit their tax status....

It's a shame you started your post in such a toxic manner, given that the rest made valid points. I fully stand behind my original statement and think your reply to it was rediculous.

13 hours ago, gurn said:

Valid point. 

Not in all cases. During the Black Lives Matter movement I learned some very important things. Sometimes you don't get to have an opinion on something if it doesn't negatively affect you and does effect others. Sometimes the best, and only thing you can do is sit back, listen, and respect others. That is the only way we are going to slowly start making progress.

I was having a conversation with my best friend's brother, and the subject of the Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben phasing out the rascial stereotypes came up. He was upset upset because he thought it was too far and a stupid thing to be focused on because it wasn't that bad. At the time I didn't have enough information on the subject to have any sort of opinion.

After the conversation I did my research and I took that idea to my wife, a vocal supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement. She simply explained to me that as a white man he had zero say in what members of the Black community find offensive. If those companies are rebranding because people did find those stereotypes offensive, then you duty to respect that's how a group of people feel. It doesn't effect you, but it may effect them. If you put your back up against it and express yourself against the change, when it has nothing to do with you, then you are on the wrong side of the fence and being counter productive to the equality the world is attempting to achieve.

This is the same situation. This entire conversation started because we were discussing the phasing out of using the term native to describe our Indigenous population. Even if it was something that was widely used before, if the shift starts that it's no longer the most politically correct term to use, it's a communities job to come together and respect that. Now I'm only going off my family and friends, I don't know if it's wide spread across BC, or even Canada. But I know in my community that's just not the correct terminology. 

Edited by shayster007

6 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Not in all cases. During the Black Lives Matter movement I learned some very important things. Sometimes you don't get to have an opinion on something if it doesn't negatively affect you and does effect others. 

By this logic, people should just shut up and listen to me.

And that is partially how we end up in this mess.

Everybody gets an opinion, everbody gets a voice and every adult gets a vote. To do any different ends up with those that have no voice being abused, thought that would be obvious, given how the treatment of voiceless first nations is the topic of discussion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kryten said:

No.

I pushed back on your post and you were seemingly incredulous that I dare question your authority. I’m not toxic, you are just acting out instead of reflecting on what you wrote. I mean c’mon, you are trying to police everyone in this thread. I suggest you go back and look, or don’t, idc.

Anyways, I love Gurn’s energy and Jimmy’s pragmatism but I doubt we will get anything but the usual virtue signalling from the usual suspects. Voting is the only way to put your opinion into action but it really doesn’t seem to carry much weight does it? I don’t have the solution, I don’t think anyone save the PM has it? At least in terms of funding (found some cash for Covid relief but not Waywayseecappo?).

I like the thought behind investing in a memorial but it again smacks of virtue signalling to me. A memorial for Canada to look upon and feel better about itself instead of actually helping the people(s) that were victimized.

IMO, we should put all available monies, donations, volunteers into ensuring every First Nations community has infrastructure and access to clean, running water etc etc etc. I don’t know how, but the politicians need to keep the thought of the publicity of unveiling a touching memorial out of their heads and focus on actually keeping future First Nations peoples from continuing to die too young.

A virtue signal from me, but seriously, why has this not happened yet? Why are towns like Waywayseecappo still in so much trouble? This gov’t (and others) seem to never fail at explaining how sorry they are while doing nothing to actually help. Maybe sports teams and businesses that are eager to plaster themselves with orange hearts for all to see would be willing to put their money where their mouths are (pipe dream, but whatever). I wonder if the church would be able to spare some coin....may need to revisit their tax status....

You were edgy at first. I wish you had started with this post, i agree.  I almost didn't read it. 

I am also just hearing about CRT so give some of us time. Your wood from the cross joke was funny though, and mean.