The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

just a reminder of what Edler did the last time he signed.

he signed for two years - when he easily could have commanded far more term on the UFA market.

He did so enabling the team to 'legally circumvent' the expansion draft.

and he has continued to remain the team's primary workhorse defenseman - some folks like to error-gaze players like Edler and come to silly conclusions that he can no longer be effective because he's not as quick as he once was - but this is highly reductive and imo ignorant of how important he has remained to the franchise.

there are some UFAs I like - a few of them LHD - Murray, Martinez, Oleksiak - but Hamonic is probably the 'easier' guy to replace - maybe as good a crop of RHD UFAs this summer (rare) - I like like Savard - some of the depth options (Hakanpaa, Ceci) - like Larsson as well - and Montour (although probably not the right fit here) - but regardless, I think the 'answer' to Hughes' partner may not be in the UFA market - probably have to take advantage of the buyers market hoping to land a pre-expansion-draft guy that otherwise would be unlikely to be available...

I agree.  I think Edler gets re-signed and he can rotate with Juolevi/Rathbone for a year or two.  Benning will most likely upgrade the RHD position.  I see a Schmidt trade coming and I don't think Hamonic is coming back.  Hakanpaa can fill Hamonic's role and be more effective.  As for Schmidt's replacement, that is where Benning will need to get creative and find someone that another team doesn't wanna lose for free.  He needs to make a hockey trade to find the right guy.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No.  If they sign one of our UFA's during the 48 hour window it counts as a player taken...

I apologize for my wrongdoing. I will accept the consequences of rolling a larger than normal joint and proceed to smoke it all to myself. 

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Edler

the  teams leading penalty killer at 3:27/game

hardest minutes on the blueline

32.2% ozone starts

44.4% corsi

team leader in blocked shots = 118

lead the blueline with 80 hits.

(61.4% of his ice time with Schmidt).

Hamonic

#4 penalty killing defenseman at 1:58/game

52% ozone starts

44.9% corsi

2nd in blocks with 80

48 hits.

(played 79.3% of his 5on5 ice time with Hughes).

I'm surprised there are as many folks in here who believe Hamonic is/should be the bigger priority.

Not only is/was Edler more important to the team - but he played harder minutes, with arguably considerably better outcomes.

The additional factor here, imo - is that Edler aside, the team has three young LHD - Hughes, Juolevi and now Rathbone, that they are looking to integrate into the lineup (pushing Schmidt to the right side).

On the other hand, Myers, Schmidt and Hamonic was a far more veteran right side....

Edler is a borderline no-brainer imo - the workhorse that has been a part of this franchise his entire career - and continues to shoulder the heaviest workload on the blueline.  That could stand to change - but replacing him - the kind of role he plays - at the kind of terms he'll likely be willing to return at - would not be an easy task.

Hamonic would make a good 3rd RHD imo - but the principal area the team needs to address imo - is Hughes' partner - particularly moving forward - the team needs to upgrade on Hamonic.   If he's willing to come back at depth terms, as a secondary option to fill in as Hughes' partner, I'd be interested - but the majority of proposals in this thread I would not offer him.

Bring Edler back at reasonable terms reflective of the fact he's still capable of playing 20+ hard minutes a night.

Hamonic did not really earn/command an uptick on his terms - as much as I appreciate the guy - he was horrible for a long stretch to start the season - and simply is not the answer to a partner for Hughes.

Look to upgrade on Hamonic whether or not he's willing to return at depth terms. 

Took the words right out of my mouth. Well said.

Just out of curiosity, what site do you use to check advanced stats like Corsi and whatnot?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, here's a wrinkle. If they DO sign them tomorrow, it means at least one of our big contracts is being exposed. 

it's only a wrinkle if you don't have a plan in place.

a schmidt deal might be done, and they are just waiting on edler and hamonic to sign before they pull the trigger.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

it's only a wrinkle if you don't have a plan in place.

a schmidt deal might be done, and they are just waiting on edler and hamonic to sign before they pull the trigger.

true dat. 

I don't expect many big changes this offseason tbh, even with the "aggressive" comments. Buyout of Jake, hopefully Seatle takes Holtby, go get a legit 3C. I'd be pretty happy with that. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

they're not letting edler retire with another team, not will Eddie want to.  I suspect it'll be a very friendly deal that will get him to retirement in Van.  He's earned it and he's still a good player, with limited mins

Sentimentality gets you to last place pretty quick.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I agree with Button.  Edler and Hamonic are a bottom pair on a top team.  You can re-sign them but you can't stop there.  I can see Edler getting re-signed as he can rotate with Juolevi and Rathbone on the left side and he won't have to be in the top 4 every game.  As for Hamonic, if you are re-signing him to play with Hughes that is a big problem, as he doesn't belong on the top pairing.  IF Hamonic gets re-signed then you can be almost guaranteed that a Schmidt trade is happening and that Benning is going to go after a big fish to play with Hughes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

One would hope that these are set up to be signed AFTER the expansion draft…

No point in using up protection slots on them, we could pick up a player for an extra spot.

If we lost one of them because of expansion, oh well… then they probably didn’t want to sign with us at an appropriate discount anyways.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true dat. 

I don't expect many big changes this offseason tbh, even with the "aggressive" comments. Buyout of Jake, hopefully Seatle takes Holtby, go get a legit 3C. I'd be pretty happy with that. 

I agree. From what I know about benning aggressive just means we should be playoff contenders. and I think our team is alot better than our performance last year.

But if Hamilton wants to sign with us, I'm all over that. Maybe Hamilton can see how competitive we will be in 2 years time and wants to jump in on the ground floor. I can dream.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with Button.  Edler and Hamonic are a bottom pair on a top team.  You can re-sign them but you can't stop there.  I can see Edler getting re-signed as he can rotate with Juolevi and Rathbone on the left side and he won't have to be in the top 4 every game.  As for Hamonic, if you are re-signing him to play with Hughes that is a big problem, as he doesn't belong on the top pairing.  IF Hamonic gets re-signed then you can be almost guaranteed that a Schmidt trade is happening and that Benning is going to go after a big fish to play with Hughes.

This is basically what I said yesterday or the day before, the only way it makes sense in signing Edler is if he's a 6th/7th type role player, if he's not and you're expecting more out of him still then you might as well throw in the towel now :towel:

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i hate these nay sayers. complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet.

If they sign now it will be for cheap... and if they do, Benning already has spoken to seattle about who they would take.

This is only good news.

Edit: This means there is a plan, and we are ahead of the game.

With rumours of schmidt leaving I'm dreaming big.

This is in turn nothing more than speculation also, so don’t pretend to know everything on your high horse there bud. A lot of assumptions guy