The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

46 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Edler has earned his right to finish his career in van and be put in the ring of honour 

Earned the right? I'm fine with him finishing out his career with the Canucks but he was well paid for his services. I don't think he's owed anything more. I was also incensed when Linden told us fans a rebuild wouldn't be fair to the Sedins. You mean the 2 guys out of a team of 20? That were also well-paid? What about Joe Schmuck who works 20 years for a company but is turfed to bring in someone younger (ie a "yes man"). Isn't he then owed the right to retire with the company? Are any of these rights enshrined in the Canadian Charter of Rights? Nope. Btw I am an Edler fan and think we got tremendous value for a 3rd rounder. 

• Vintage 3

51 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Totally, and if JB does pursue a Tyler Johnson type, that means we can roll 3 solid scoring lines where guys can move around and still play their O game (eg. Pearson, Hogz, maybe Podz too?). It just provides so much more flexibility. Try and balance minutes more effectively between that and a legit shut down 4th line with energy (Motte, maybe Highmore, maybe Gadj, etc) that can establish chemistry and we are looking ok.  This team has upcoming major talent/firepower upfront who aren't even close to entering their prime. Change the current systems and let it loose with a little less demand on them for a two way game. Allow Shaw to figure out how to balance the back end to support it best. Our strength is in our offence right now. We should be using that better until the D can be improved. I hate seeing offensive minded guys being forced into playing a 2 way game and then overcompensating because of a coach's demand on them. It's not always effective and ruins confidence. Thankfully we have a captain and a character guy who accepted the change in his role and wore it on his sleeve. Doesn't mean everybody can do the same. Gotta play to strengths. Again just my opinion.

Hard pass on committing 5 million to Tyler Johnson - unless Tampa is sending us a Cal Foote as compensation for eating the 15 million remaining on his contract....

There are just too many good pending free agent centers of varying costs....

Danault (highly unlikely the Habs don't re-sign him, however)

Cizikas

Bonino

Coleman

Haula

Stastny

Staal

Bozak

Perrault

Maybe not the worst time to be shopping for a complementary center in free agency.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hard pass on committing 5 million to Tyler Johnson - unless Tampa is sending us a Cal Foote as compensation for eating the 15 million remaining on his contract....

Danault

Cizikas

Bonino

Coleman

Haula

Stastny

Staal

Bozak

Perrault

Maybe not the worst time to be shopping for a complementary center in free agency.

Just hoping we go short term, especially if McTavish is our guy.

10 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

Those same people sandbagging him will blow their lids when Jim goes out and spends $8+ mil plus assets on OEL to replace him.  Or any other UFA defenseman that is going to command top dollar.  Edler is on the downswing of his career, sure, but he's still a quality NHL defenseman if he's used right.  People have been crapping on him for as long as I can remember when he has a bad stretch, going back years.  Unfortunately when you are a bottom dwelling team your defense are gonna look bad...

The team doesn't really need Edler to be a secondary scorer any longer - Hughes, possibly Juolevi and Rathbone, Myers, Schmidt can all provide production - they simply need that guy that can handle the 30% range ozone starts, and principal penalty killing that he has.

In terms of 'replacing' him, I'm not sure there are many UFA options = Martinez or a few other equally aged LHD - or a few younger options like Murray or possibly Oleksiak (who isn't the proven, hard minutes guy that Edler is).....probably have to go to the trade market, but in any event, highly unlikely that you get a shorter term, reasonable deal like you're probably going to get with Edler.

Hamonic imo is the far 'easier' defenseman to replace - and unlike the left side where the team has Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone (and really needs a veteran like Edler to handle the hard minutes), the right side is far more veteran - while the UFA market for RHD, like the market for UFA centers, is probably more abundant than the mean UFA market.  Of course, some of those guys will sign with their current clubs - and perhaps the expansion draft is creating a general delay in re-signings - but still, I'd look to upgrade upon/ replace Hamonic before I would Edler.  The additional factor - the team simply doesn't have the depth of young right handed D in the system that it does LHD - so I'd probably make a priority of acquiring a younger RHD while still looking to add depth at RHD (Hamonic would be good depth, but I wouldn't be 'planning' to head into next season with him as Hughes' partner.)

17 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Earned the right? I'm fine with him finishing out his career with the Canucks but he was well paid for his services. I don't think he's owed anything more. I was also incensed when Linden told us fans a rebuild wouldn't be fair to the Sedins. You mean the 2 guys out of a team of 20? That were also well-paid? What about Joe Schmuck who works 20 years for a company but is turfed to bring in someone younger (ie a "yes man"). Isn't he then owed the right to retire with the company? Are any of these rights enshrined in the Canadian Charter of Rights? Nope. Btw I am an Edler fan and think we got tremendous value for a 3rd rounder. 

This team has to learn how to trade when value is still there and move on 

• Like 1

Miller looked as exhausted and error prone as Edler down the stretch this past season.

Go figure.

Post covid replacement lineups in an insane schedule - and folks here expected guys like Edler to look like a spring chicken....

Not sure who the unrealistic ones in here are.

Signing Edler is a borderline no-brainer imo.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. Edler earned his money without a doubt. He played the minutes, laid the players out he needed to, scored the timely goals, and supported plenty of younger up and coming players. That's proven. 

Just don't see how that automatically should guarantee him the right to retire a Canuck.

This is true. Burrows should have had that right as well. Instead we flipped him for a prospect who never played a game in the NHL and is now playing in Sweden.

Why not keep Burrows around on the 4th line for another year so he could retire a Canuck?  

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm pretty guilty of that myself during the Torts year, as well as the last year of AV.

Tortorella made a rented mule of Edler - and was a complete asshat to the veteran group in general.  His tirades at Hansen, of all players, are for me his signature idiocy as coach here.   Not surprising that the entire group had career worst years under him.   And further, he had some of the dumbest-ass coaching philosophy I've ever heard.   Make penalty killers of the Sedins - a pair of relatively slow-footed guys that can take punishment but are not physically aggressive - in other words playing them to their weaknesses = assinine.  As were his systems in general - complete misfit for the group he was working with - where good coaches tailor their systems to the players they have - to their strengths, and if they don't like how that looks, they transition the group as opposed to hard-headed idiocy as a rule.

This past season - I mean setting aside the fact of the schedule, or the covid outbreak that sucked the life out of the group - simply look at one of their game rosters....

Boyd

Chatfield

Graovac

Hawryluk

(Highmore) - in parentheses because I believe he could earn a spot on a healthy roster and is NHL ready/developed.

Lind

Lockwood

Michaelis

Rathbone

Vesey

Half their roster on any given night = were waiver pickups, replacement AHLers, prospects.....go figure that veterans - like Edler - (or Miller for that matter) - weren't going to look themselves in those circumstances.

I'd be more concerned with walking away from Edler - while he signs at reasonable terms elsewhere and gives them far more than they paid for, particularly if he landed with a deep team that didn't need to ride him like this one does at times -than I would re-signing him and not getting value on the ice out of him = I'd take the latter bet over walking away from a guy one year removed from what was easily two-way, all situations, top pairing outcomes.

• Cheers 1

On the right deal I'd like to see Edler back playing around 17 mins.  I know he's slowing down but with the right deployment can stillbe a very effective player (I think).  Ideally he can retire a Canuck.

Hamonic same.  On the right deal he's a guy I'd like to see back.  

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you are into trying to win games 6-5 then that would be a stud pairing.  If you actually want your top pairing to be able to defend then that would probably be the worst top pairing in the NHL.

really? whats the issue with Dougie? they'd also have possession 90% of the time. 

Edler at $3.25 million or less is an absolute no brainer.  

Show me any D man his age with his actual numbers who does what he does so consistently and well that does it for $3.25 million or less.

elder is still one of our best defenceman and if he's half of what he's worth as he ages that's fine.

I honestly can not think of a single D available we could have that would do comparable or better than edler for less than $4 million.

I get the hate, I get the heat on Edler; but if he'd had the last 3 seasons he did, under the team we had at $3.25 million or less nobody would have said a word

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I don’t really mind either player. I’d be ok with this. If we can’t retain Hammer maybe Erik Johnson will be available, there is speculation he is going to be bought out. We don’t have many big dollar options so we just need someone to fill a jersey. 

Erik Johnson waved his nmc for expansion. If he doesn't get selected I could see him being bought out. I personally think he's a good dman at maybe 3 million. I'd say he's better than Hamonic. 

11 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Erik Johnson waved his nmc for expansion. If he doesn't get selected I could see him being bought out. I personally think he's a good dman at maybe 3 million. I'd say he's better than Hamonic. 

His injury history last couple seasons is concerning 

17 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

If Edler gets more than 2mil it's too much. Hell, if either get more than 2mil it's too much.

Hamonic can probably get 3 mil on the free market.  

Look at Brandon Carlo, he just signed a 6 year, 4.1 mil deal with Boston.  RHD are in demand, so Hamonic will easily get more then 2 mil out there.  

For Edler, I agree. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Danault (highly unlikely the Habs don't re-sign him, however)

Cizikas

Bonino

Coleman

Haula

Stastny

Staal

Bozak

Perrault

To be honest, 2022 Free Agency class looks to be ahead by miles in terms of quality.  I'm sure that some of them will get resigned by their teams early, but it's full of good d-men and centers. 

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

really? whats the issue with Dougie? they'd also have possession 90% of the time. 

Yes like I said we’d be winning some games 6-5. But do you really want Dougie Hamilton partnering Hughes?

First off Hamilton wouldn’t be on the first unit PP unless we switch formations and play 2 D. Secondly he wouldn’t be on the first unit PK either. So you are going to be paying a guy $8 million+ to not contribute on the top special teams units. 

If you want Hamilton as a Schmidt replacement then that’s a different story. But if you are brining in Hamilton as a straight swap for Hamonic then all

of a sudden Myers is playing the top unit PK. 

I’d rather we trade Schmidt and get some more beef on the backline. With Hughes and Rathbone we will have 2 excellent puck movers. We need to surround them with better quality defensive defencemen. 

• Cheers 3