The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alexander Edler to hit free agency

I still think that on the Swedish side of things that word has been put out there that the Canucks would like Larsson. He adds right side depth at the same time as eating Eddie's minutes. I know some don't like Larsson but he's a minute eater on the right side. Very similar game to Eddie's actually. Just younger and a righty. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is the season starting tomorrow?

Nope, never said it did… but GMs with few options make bad decisions out of desperation.

The prospect of that defence staring him in the face on free agency day makes for us paying whatever assets to find legitimate NHL defence.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

I still think that on the Swedish side of things that word has been put out there that the Canucks would like Larsson. He adds right side depth at the same time as eating Eddie's minutes. I know some don't like Larsson but he's a minute eater on the right side. Very similar game to Eddie's actually. Just younger and a righty. 

By all reports Larsson and Edmonton are closing on a re-signing. His agent was pretty optimistic. 

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Obviously there would be players signed to make up for the losses… 

With what money exactly?  If placeholders like Edler and Hamonic are priced out of our ability to sign them… exactly what better options would be available to us?

We would be left hoping for a trade and using up our few trade assets to just fill new holes and not to get better.

Benning’s offseason history isn’t anything to engender charitable hopefulness 

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Getting another LD would be a safety blanket.

Throwing two rookies in to the deep end might get them acclimatized better or it could ruin their confidence. I would rather switch Juolevi and Rathbone off as 3rd pairing for at least one season.

I would even be okay with getting two LD and letting Rathbone  get more minutes and a more offensive role in Abbottsford.

Okay, the nub of the matter is not whether there should be some depth on the left side, but someone slotted in above Juolevi and Rathbone.  Edler would have been that, at least in Green's eyes.  You'd like not one but two guys like that.  With all the holes we've got, I'd rather see the money spent elsewhere and give the kids a chance.  Yes, we disagree.

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

By all reports Larsson and Edmonton are closing on a re-signing. His agent was pretty optimistic. 

Ya, heard that as well. But not done till it's done. Obviously they must be waiting on the expansion draft to happen before any signing. But you never know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

He is not an offence type D at all. He's a younger Tanev.

Larsson is younger. Also, bigger, stronger & more durable.  

Not sure ''better?''  I give Tanev a lot of credit.  All things being equal I do take the bigger and stronger while still being very good.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So we're trusting agents now? 

Depends the circumstances. In this case, with all the other information aligning with what he's saying, yeah I am inclined to agree. Keith trade put a wrench in the signing happening sooner than later since EDM would lose someone significant to Seattle if they signed Larsson now.

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Ya, heard that as well. But not done till it's done. Obviously they must be waiting on the expansion draft to happen before any signing. But you never know.

Yeah but there's enough knowledge out there to presume he'll re-sign there. Unless he changes his mind between now and the expansion since I see EDM waiting so they don't lose a guy for no reason. As far as I know they got the dollars down and are just talking term.

31 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Okay, the nub of the matter is not whether there should be some depth on the left side, but someone slotted in above Juolevi and Rathbone.  Edler would have been that, at least in Green's eyes.  You'd like not one but two guys like that.  With all the holes we've got, I'd rather see the money spent elsewhere and give the kids a chance.  Yes, we disagree.

I think that expecting a player with 8 NHL games and a player with 23 NHL games to match up against the leagues best game in and game out is a recipe for disaster; for the team and for the players. I'm guessing that our management group feels the same way.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

don't worry. alot of people on this forum just sprout trash rules that have no significance or relevance to the reality of today's NHL

TBL 2021 13, 29 and above

TBL 2020 12, 29 and above

STL 2019 12, 29 and above

Was 2018 9, above 29 and above

Kind of what I figured as well.   I like this @Josepho poster a lot and think he’d have a lot to contribute to this forum, but the guy needs to take off his HF glasses.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Josepho said:

Why would top teams in the league be better suitors for trades? Do you really think Lamoriello would prefer to trade Toews to one of his biggest challengers for the cup? Did Doug Wilson really want to give Ehrhoff to a team that would end up beating him in a playoff series a few years later? If anything, acquiring good players through trades is likely easier for worse teams.

End even if it IS easier, how does it excuse breaking the bank for garbage like Gudbranson? That's not a "all the good defencemen end up going to good teams" situation, that's a "our GM completely misevaluated the talent level of these players" situation.

Re - Gudbranson.

Agreed that the Gudbranson deal was $&!#e getting young “defensive defensemen” RHD’s with potential is VERY difficult.  Don’t believe me?  Go ask Boston, Carolina, Tampa Bay, and NYI as to what what the acquisition price of Carlo, Pesce, Cernak, and Mayfield would be (hint - it would cost a hell of a lot more than you’d think since these guys fill very key and specific roles to their team).

Benning obviously took a calculated risk and lost big time on Gudbranson but he had the right idea in mind.  If Gudbranson could have been that top pairing stay at home heir apparent to Tanev, then the Canucks would have had the option to sell high on Tanev while leaving the defense in relative good hands (ie Gudbranson taking on tough match ups with Edler while guys like Hutton, Stecher, etc., developed in roles that required less responsibility).  

People criticize Benning for the Gudbranson deal without realizing as to just how much serious of organizational hole our right side D is and was at the time.  This is also one reason why we had to overpay Myers on term and money.

Josepho - ask yourself this:   If not Gudbranson at the time, then who?  And why?

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

Sorry should have stated that it was in a Canucks Army story...not sure if I believe anything coming from that trash site anymore. They seem to be constantly trying to stir the pot.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/07/16/alex-hit-free-agent-market-unlikely-return-canucks/

Stowe also added that he thinks Edler considered all the losing the Canucks have done in the past ten years when making his decision to try to move on from the club.

You’re dead on about CanucksArmy and their spin. It was actually a question from Dhaliwal about “there’s been a lot losing and only one playoff win  in the last 10 years, was this a case where he wants to go to a winner and he doesn’t have much time left in his career?” To which Stowe replied “Well I think that’s a factor…”    So really the “all the losing” comment should have attributed to Dhaliwal not the agent but then there’s no spice to the story.

• Cheers 3

Maybe Jim has learned that loyalty and business don't necessarily mix in a salary cap world and every penny counts - best of luck to Alex where ever he lands. Everyone saying Calgary and Edmonton - if he wants to win a cup he needs to head south of the border.