The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

1 minute ago, combover said:

Oops meant The

again with the Moms basement you need some new material. 

nice discussing hockey with you 
Enjoy your night. 

You stop the hate with our team, so will I with you. It’s a discussion forum after all, but you have said the same $hit for a long time and it’s old, like 8 tracks. Do us all a favour and do a better job then Jim Benning or GO AWAY to say it nice…. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Honestly, I probably wouldn't do the package at all. I'd rather burn the year with fill ins and see what free agents we could land next offseason when we get some cap space, or see what type of return we could get for JT Miller next year.

I would love to see us make some aggressive moves this off-season but 

if it doesn’t materialize to most of our liking by puckdrop, so be it. 

Urgency rarely results in actualizing the best outcomes.  There will always be a market for Schmidt.  I kinda hope now we can keep him, give him the requisite practice time with a dedicated partner and see what develops. If there still seems to be incompatibility by Xmas, explore trade.

What if we kept Schmidt and tried or sign a Savard as UFA. Or trade a decent draft pick for a Jake Bean or Zadorov.

I think that should be our route first. 

Suddenly our D corps has some real depth and looks great on paper. We have some money to do this with buyouts. FA spends to cap. 

Regardless, I think a few teams will be in the same situation as us in terms of analyzing their rosters, especially the new additions, and figuring things out. It’s not like trades don’t occur during the course of the season.

Happens every year. I know it’s not as exciting because we all want to see upgrades and modifications now, but Schmidt could turn into a very nice compliment to the top 4 D given a typical preseason and practice time!

perhaps even the 1st line Dman he was projected to be when brought in.

Plus with Shaw in the fold you just never know how much that will improve a player’s effectiveness. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, zimmy said:

An exchange of firsts brings me back to the table. I still have hopes and expectations for young OJ so this part tugs at me.

I suppose agreeable term and cap on Parayko might sway me. St Lou at 17 is interesting. Svetchkov likely still there or one of Lambos or Cuelemans ….. I can live with that outcome especially if I can replenish my D Depth chart.

I'm not really crazy about the trade, just doing something to keep the conversation flowing.  :)

The exchange of 1st round picks was mostly in consideration that if there wasn't one of big four d-men still available at 9th OA, then the Canucks might want to trade down for those two guys listed around 20 (Lambos or Cuelemans as you have noted), and they could still get a guy who could fill an immediate need on defense. I'm not crazy about this deal as I do like Juolevi, and even if the Canucks were able to get one of Lambos or Cuelemans, then you're waiting four or so years before that guy plays in the NHL.

Or, the team could bite the bullet and keep Juolevi, and draft one of Lambos or Cuelemans.at 9th, and then try and do something about the defense over the summer.....

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I would love to see us make some aggressive moves this off-season but 

if it doesn’t materialize to most of our liking by puckdrop, so be it. 

Urgency rarely results in actualizing the best outcomes.  There will always be a market for Schmidt.  I kinda hope now we can keep him, give him the requisite practice time with a dedicated partner and see what develops. If there still seems to be incompatibility by Xmas, explore trade.

What if we kept Schmidt and tried or sign a Savard as UFA. Or trade a decent draft pick for a Jake Bean or Zadorov.

I think that should be our route first. 

Suddenly our D corps has some real depth and looks great on paper. We have some money to do this with buyouts. FA spends to cap. 

Regardless, I think a few teams will be in the same situation as us in terms of analyzing their rosters, especially the new additions, and figuring things out. It’s not like trades don’t occur during the course of the season.

Happens every year. I know it’s not as exciting because we all want to see upgrades and modifications now, but Schmidt could turn into a very nice compliment to the top 4 D given a typical preseason and practice time!

perhaps even the 1st line Dman he was projected to be when brought in.

Plus with Shaw in the fold you just never know how much that will improve a player’s effectiveness. 

I think Savard has to be the target at this point with Larsson off the board.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, babalu said:

I think Savard has to be the target at this point with Larsson off the board.

that would make sense i wish the canucks could get something done like trade schmidt or sign petey and hughes so they know how much cap space they have to work with.  wouldn't be surprised to hear the excuse we ran out of time again. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, brian42 said:

that would make sense i wish the canucks could get something done like trade schmidt or sign petey and hughes so they know how much cap space they have to work with.  wouldn't be surprised to hear the excuse we ran out of time again. 

If he’s too busy working on an OEL trade again I swear…

• Haha 4

Larsson and Oleksiak were the key guys I wanted JB to target in free agency. That ship has sailed so perhaps its a good time to restock the cupboards with young D?

Couple of easy trades would be:

To VAN: Foote + Johnson

To TBL: Nothin'

Tampa really need to clear cap, so we take on a good 3C for next 3 seasons plus a big young RHD in Foote.

To VAN: Lauzon

To SEA: Schmidt

Seattle are lacking in top 4 Dmen and especially PMD, Schmidt fills this role nicely.

Our D lineup would be pretty young and raw but next season would be a good opportunity for them to develop together:

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

Lauzon Foote

Juolevi Bowey

(not concerned with pairings or rankings)

5 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Parayko is the Blues top dman.  Hes considerably better than Schmidt.  Id give the Blues Schmidt, Rathbone and a 2nd but they wouldnt do it.

Parayko hasn't been good the last couple of seasons, even before his back issues, that's a huge overpayment. We've all seen what happened with Edler when he was hurt.

2 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Heard rumors NYR are looking at moving Buchnevich... 

Schmidt + 2nd for Buchnevich? 

Pretty sure they're looking for a top ten pick or a high end center in return. NYR have a lot of good players but they are in desperate need of a top 6 center. I think the only assets we have that would move the needle for Buch are assets we aren't willing to give up.

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Pretty sure they're looking for a top ten pick or a high end center in return. NYR have a lot of good players but they are in desperate need of a top 6 center. I think the only assets we have that would move the needle for Buch are assets we aren't willing to give up.

Yeah, that's a thing... but I was also looking at their left side D, and seem to be thin there as well. If they're looking for a top 10 pick, maybe we go Schmidt + 9thOA for Buch + 2nd/3rd? Then they could use that 1st to go hunt for their 1/2C.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Yeah, that's a thing... but I was also looking at their left side D, and seem to be thin there as well. If they're looking for a top 10 pick, maybe we go Schmidt + 9thOA for Buch + 2nd/3rd? Then they could use that 1st to go hunt for their 1/2C.

Overpayment, no? Is Buchnevich a player like Miller? If yes, we paid a 1st and 3rd? Schmidt can likely land close to that, say, the 2nd and 3rd you mention, so that leaves Buch for 9OA? Yikes. I, personally, wouldn't do that for him. 

12 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

This is an excellent question.  Unfortunately however, I think OJ is a little further than we’d all like.  Maybe he pleasantly surprises us next season?  

if he finally has a full, healthy off season and comes back with no issues, maybe? 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Overpayment, no? Is Buchnevich a player like Miller? If yes, we paid a 1st and 3rd? Schmidt can likely land close to that, say, the 2nd and 3rd you mention, so that leaves Buch for 9OA? Yikes. I, personally, wouldn't do that for him. 

He's 26, 6'3" ~200lbs, top 6 forward who put up 48 pts in 54gp last year, 46 in 68 the season before... I think he'd be a good fit with Horvat - Hoglander on the 2nd line.