The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t that the off season rule though?  Then, opening game guys like Ferland (and a bunch of others who are finished due to medical reasons) get moved to LTIR.  

Yep 100% Alf, but the impact will be to allow $3.5m of cap to be used as replacement 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yep 100% Alf, but the impact will be to allow $3.5m of cap to be used as replacement 

They have to be cap compliant for opening day though with Ferland's cap counting. So to use that 3.5 they will have to sign a contract or trade for a player after the season starts. Like they did with Hamonic last year iirc.

• Upvote 1

Benning said he'd still like to bring in a physical type Dman. It sounds like they may be trying to re-sign Hamonic, but I have a feeling they also bring back Edler on a decent deal.  Schmidt and his salary need to go though, probably Holtby too. 

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Edler - Rathbone

Juolevi

I would rather they sign UFA Mayfield or Pesce or Parayko, but I'm not sure they have the $$$

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning said he'd still like to bring in a physical type Dman. It sounds like they may be trying to re-sign Hamonic, but I have a feeling they also bring back Edler on a decent deal.  Schmidt and his salary need to go though, probably Holtby too. 

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Edler - Rathbone

Juolevi

I would rather they sign UFA Mayfield or Pesce or Parayko, but I'm not sure they have the $$$

If they do that then Rathbone starts in Abbotsford.

27 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If they do that then Rathbone starts in Abbotsford.

It is quite possible that J.B. will design our starting line up in a way that has the minimum amount of NHL'ers on the team; then moves players up and down from Abbottsford as required.

Will save a bit of cap space, which is still at a premium.

Schmidt really needs to move unfortunately i made a roster and it was 1 mil over cap before I could even get juolevi signed

Where I see things:

Miller pettersson Boeser

Hoglander horvat garland 

Pearson Dickinson podkolzin

Macewen kuraly Motte 

Oel Myers

Hughes Juolevi

Rathbone Mantha

Demo

Schneider

Likely going to have to try juolevi on his off side. 

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not to mention our starting goalie.

Also too early to call Woo, Lind, or Gadjovich.

For sure. The post is absolutely ridiculous. In fact, scanning back to 2014 (not including the last two drafts for obvious reasons), most of our 2nd and 3rd rd picks have either had or project to have some form of success in the NHL. 

You can criticize Benning for giving away too many picks and your argument will hold some water, but to say we never hit on those picks is just willful ignorance.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well he’ll always be our pick.

If we’re looking at which of our 2nd round picks make it he would have to be included.

Same goes for Madden if we're talking 3rd rd picks as well. I imagine he'll make the NHL at some point.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, brian42 said:

Maybe possible if they use a 750k player at 4th line center and third pairing right side D but if we traded him we could use that cap space more effectively so I don’t even really care what the return is on a Schmidt trade but of course they should get as much as they can. 

But maker signed foe 9 mill