The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

24 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You mean Karlsson?

Naw man. Karlsson isn’t an outright cancer in the room. He may be overpaid… but Kane is just rotten to the core as a human being.

All the talent in the world. He don’t give a F.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Naw man. Karlsson isn’t an outright cancer in the room. He may be overpaid… but Kane is just rotten to the core as a human being.

All the talent in the world. He don’t give a F.

Being a nice guy is all fine and dandy....11.5 million towards the cap for a 40 point one way Defenseman is horrible. 6 more years of that is atrocious.

But yes locker room/drama award definitely goes to Kane.

4 minutes ago, teepain said:

Just change this cap into a luxury cap.

its better for players and teams . They can spend if they pay more. Every other league does this . No hard cap bull$&!#

can't do that in a league that still has teams struggling to afford the cap floor. 

I'm sure the idea of the hard cap is to lift all the boats to a point where they can justify implementing a luxury tax for the spendier teams. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, teepain said:

Just change this cap into a luxury cap.

its better for players and teams . They can spend if they pay more. Every other league does this . No hard cap bull$&!#

Luxury tax doesn’t work.  End up with three or four super rich teams at the top, and the rest are basically farm clubs who supply those elite four.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

can't do that in a league that still has teams struggling to afford the cap floor. 

I'm sure the idea of the hard cap is to lift all the boats to a point where they can justify implementing a luxury tax for the spendier teams. 

I think NHL and NHLPA should allow contracts to be terminated freely and mutually by team and player. If the contract is not working out for both sides, then the player should be allowed to pursue better fits elsewhere to take advantage of his limited career years in the NHL. To make it fair for small market teams, only contracts that pay out the same  amount of money every contract year as its annual cap hits should be allowed such termination clause. Contracts that pay salary/bonus upfront are barred from such form of termination. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

I think NHL and NHLPA should allow contracts to be terminated freely and mutually by team and player. If the contract is not working out for both sides, then the player should be allowed to pursue better fits elsewhere to take advantage of his limited career years in the NHL. To make it fair for small market teams, only contracts that pay out the same  amount of money every contract year as its annual cap hits should be allowed such termination clause. Contracts that pay salary/bonus upfront are barred from such form of termination. 

The NHLPA would die on the hill of guaranteed contracts before ever giving those up.

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

Being a nice guy is all fine and dandy....11.5 million towards the cap for a 40 point one way Defenseman is horrible. 6 more years of that is atrocious.

But yes locker room/drama award definitely goes to Kane.

Is rather have an overpaid vet trying to figure it out than a cancer in the room any day.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Yes I do agree.  Have no limits on contract terminations, but also no penalties for it either.  Totally off the books if terminated.  Oh nm .... thought we were talking about buyouts.

Edited by Viper007

22 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Why do they care? The contract termination has to be consented to by both the player and the team. 

There is a clause for mutual termination, but that is usually only executed if the player is going to Europe to play, it's seldom used in North America.  The reason it's seldom used here is, if you're making 3 million per season but performing at a 750k per season level, why would you want to just allow the contract to be terminated and walk away from the money. We have a buyout clause to save teams money and it works okay for teams that don't get into the massively back diving contracts.

So I was listening to Sportsnet 650 and them talking to someone from the sports media in Arizona.

They were talking mostly about the Yotes and their recent problems but he also referenced thanking the Canucks for taking the "worst contract in the NHL" referring to OEL.

Seems like the people from the Arizona media are in agreement about OEL being quite terrible for the Yotes. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

The fact that somone reffered to it as the worst contract in the NHL shows how little creditability they have. OEL may not be worth his contract anymore, but he is certainly not the worst contract even if he doesn't rebound in Vancouver (which I feel there is a strong possibility he does). Sounds like some dweeb stuck in Arizona attempting to may himself feel better about the tire fire that is that team.

Yeah, it's definitely not the worst contract in the world.

I mean, HELLO, ERIK KARLSSON?

• RoughGame 1

On 8/21/2021 at 2:30 AM, Dazzle said:

Yeah, it's definitely not the worst contract in the world.

I mean, HELLO, ERIK KARLSSON?

We got a 1D out of Hockey Hell.

Benning contributed to humanity.

Welcome back to reason, Ekman-Larsson; where life is hockey.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 3