The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It has nothing to do with being a canucks fan. Eventually OEL will have a bad stretch of games like any player. And the angst about it on cdc will be real.

Like most players we just gotta hope the good outweighs the bad. Miller is a good example of this. 

Defenseman(and goalies for that matter) should probably be looked at a bit differently since they’re in more of a constant position to look bad. Unless you’re being sheltered of course(ie Rathbone) but OEL will likely be facing the best offensive talent teams have to offer every night. 

If he can show high enough levels of consistency then it will definitely go a long ways to contributing to any success we have. 

Personally though we should keep tabs on the right side especially. Burroughs and Poolman have been better than expected but how long can that last?  Hopefully Hamonic comes back at some point to help shore up the right side. The more depth we have the better and the less we will have to ask from players. 

Right now our forwards have been a bigger issue though. Need to get the PP going and some of the key forwards in turn. 

Just now, Me_ said:

HUGHES - OEL

On the PP and when we’re down a goal I would have that. 

So far though Poolman has shown he can work with Hughes or OEL but I like him better with OEL personally. 

We need Hamonic back. It would Allow Myers to play with Rathbone. We can then spread out the minutes 5v5 and it give us another PK D that we could really use. 

Hopefully whatever the issue is isn’t too serious. We will have to make due for now. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

On the PP and when we’re down a goal I would have that. 

So far though Poolman has shown he can work with Hughes or OEL but I like him better with OEL personally. 

We need Hamonic back. It would Allow Myers to play with Rathbone. We can then spread out the minutes 5v5 and it give us another PK D that we could really use. 

Hopefully whatever the issue is isn’t too serious. We will have to make due for now. 

Harmonic is done with Vancouver.

Someone else needs to come in.

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Hopefully not.

He is on a temporary leave of absence. If he was done then I don’t think that door to come back would have been made available for him.

We don’t really have many other options. His cap hit and ability to come back from a leave of absence hinders any cap we would take back in a trade. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hopefully not.

He is on a temporary leave of absence. If he was done then I don’t think that door to come back would have been made available for him.

We don’t really have many other options. His cap hit and ability to come back from a leave of absence hinders any cap we would take back in a trade. 

He is suspended without pay.

His minors salary is available as well.

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

When did I say it wasn’t?

If anything, Chychrun taking the role he did sheltered OEL though, not the other way around.

Maybe Chychrun has struggled because their team sucks even more than it did last year?

or maybe it was mutually beneficial? you keep pushing the idea that only one of the players could benefit, but they both did by being on the same top 4.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

or maybe it was mutually beneficial? you keep pushing the idea that only one of the players could benefit, but they both did by being on the same top 4.

When did I say that? Having a better team makes things easier on all the players. That’s different than trying to claim he was being sheltered though.

I said a 2nd pairing guy isn’t typically “sheltering” a 1st pairing guy. It’s even more obvious with a simple look at their usage.

OEL didn’t benefit much at all last year, particularly defensively. He had much easier minutes than he was used to and was not very effective at all. Let’s hope that he continues his much better play for 6 more years.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

When did I say that? Having a better team makes things easier on all the players. That’s different than trying to claim he was being sheltered though.

I said a 2nd pairing guy isn’t typically “sheltering” a 1st pairing guy. It’s even more obvious with a simple look at their usage.

sure, whatever. I don't care about AZ, I like what i see now in OEL on this team with the players he's paired with now.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

sure, whatever. I don't care about AZ, I like what i see now in OEL on this team with the players he's paired with now.

I wasn’t the one who brought Arizona or Chychrun up. I just pointed out that person was trying too hard by suggesting Chychrun is garbage without OEL. Their whole team is garbage and much more so than last year.

I would take Chychrun over any dman on our team other than arguably Hughes. Even that wouldn’t be a given because Chychrun is big, plays solid defense, and is good offensively. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I wasn’t the one who brought Arizona or Chychrun up. I just pointed out that person was trying too hard by suggesting Chychrun is garbage without OEL. Their whole team is garbage and much more so than last year.

I would take Chychrun over any dman on our team other than arguably Hughes. Even that wouldn’t be a given because Chychrun is big, plays solid defense, and is good offensively. 

for sure they guy is a legit 1D, or very soon will be. I also have no doubt he benefited by having OEL around for a lot of his development time.

OEL's biggest issue was being a veteran player on a trash team. JC's only 23, but he'll also want to start seeing some real results too, otherwise he's going to be wanting out as well sooner than later.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

for sure they guy is a legit 1D, or very soon will be. I also have no doubt he benefited by having OEL around for a lot of his development time.

OEL's biggest issue was being a veteran player on a trash team. JC's only 23, but he'll also want to start seeing some real results too, otherwise he's going to be wanting out as well sooner than later.

Good I hope he only wants to come to Vancouver lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Oh, I don't blame him for losing interest in playing for the Yotes. Perpetually crappy team backed by morally questionable management, always in talks of moving, knowing they want to trade you but can't. There were lots of reasons he wouldn't want to be there.

At the same time, one signs a contract knowing the expectations are to perform your job to the best of your ability no matter the circumstances, and given the amount of money he makes, it isn't an excuse to simply become disinterested. He also signed that contract 2 years ago, when the Coyotes were basically in the same position of mediocrity as they are currently. It isn't like he didn't know what he was getting into.

No, being "disinterested" wasn't a good enough excuse for Loui and I think OEL needs to be held to the same standards. While he had a brutal team to work with, he's still responsible for bringing it every night and both his basic and advanced stats show that he simply didn't do that.

I agree,.   But the difference between OEL, and LE has been 100% different from the very start.… and LE is continuing to under perform.

why the Coyotes made that trade is clear.

Tank…. Possibly even sell the franchise and move it with all the excuses.

Quebec anyone?

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Anyone know if he is at least training regularly?

That would be an indication of how serious his  family matter is.

If it’s affecting a family member, he would still stay fit.. skate, shoot..  fill in the boxes.

if it is an issue with him personally,. 
something is up that will affect a return before Christmas , or perhaps the season.

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Anyone know if he is at least training regularly?

That would be an indication of how serious his  family matter is.

If it’s affecting a family member, he would still stay fit.. skate, shoot..  fill in the boxes.

if it is an issue with him personally,. 
something is up that will affect a return before Christmas , or perhaps the season.

Benning has gotten rid of problems in Virtanen, LE, Beagle, Roussel and Juolevi.

I’m not worries.

Edited by Me_

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I agree,.   But the difference between OEL, and LE has been 100% different from the very start.… and LE is continuing to under perform.

Quebec anyone?

Bring back the Nordiques!

7B54D647-6696-4CAB-9AA5-216BAB02C7F5.png

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

The players from the farm is just cannon fodder. 
The only ones that get out of there healthy is the goalies. 
The other players turns into noncreative players that only can fill the depth need.

I can’t come up with any good from Utica.

Everything worth anything came directly into the rostrr or traded to us. 

Abbotsford can be good because it’s in the area. I want to see a modern approach though from the coaches there. 

What's you definition of modern, given that you think all NHL coaches are Neanderthals?

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Quebec anyone?

Case and point.. OEL hasn't put one in our own net like LE did! That guy was out to screw us from the start!

• Haha 4