The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Taking random posts and turning it to the majority of thoughts here to make a lame strawman post. 

makes you wonder…

Lol.  I didn't specify majority, I only singled out those who used to defend these signings.

Reading is hard, I know.

I didn’t like this trade when I first found out about it. Mostly because we gave up our first round pick this years draft. 

after a couple of hours of letting the trade sink in. I think this is a decent trade. I don’t like OEL’s contract that we now have to take in. But hey. Ain’t my money. And if Aquaman can stomach it. Then all the more power to him. 

I like that we got Garland. I like it even &^@#ing more that we got rid of dead weight. Literally. Players who contributed very little. Players who cost way too much for what they contributed (essentially nothing). What sucks about the trade is that for those three dead weights. It was only one more year of dead weight. Where now, we are possibly stuck with OEL for the next 6 years. I pray to God that OEL plays well at least 3-4 of those years. And then hopefully if he declines to the point where he’s considered dead weight that he could be bought out. By then, I think Benning won’t be around. But stranger things have definitely happened. 

Wow I really like this deal. Im surprised we pulled it off. 

> To get OEL, which I think is still a great player and may even surprise many with a rejuvenated career after playing in Arizona for 11 seasons. 

> To dump 12million in cap... Wow! 

> Garland is a smallish upgrade to Pearson but with nice offensive touch who can slot in the 2nd/3rd line. 

> Now we have a respectable 2 LD combo OEL/Hughes. With some cap room relief to sign Hughes/Pettersson and RDs. .

The really bad part is of course we lose the 9th pick.... Who was going to turn into a really quality player (think like losing a Horvat). 

I've been praising Benning's moves the last couple years. Though a lot of them has not worked out. Let's hope this one does! 

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Only player I’ve seen defended over the past year or 2 has been Beagle and I’d still have him on my 4th line if he was healthy and ready to go.

You're wasting your time... the narative is being changed all the time. 
He just doesn't like Benning. Benning could bring the cup to Vancouver and he'd still complain .....

• Cheers 4

Just now, spook007 said:

You're wasting your time... the narative is being changed all the time. 
He just doesn't like Benning. Benning could bring the cup to Vancouver and he'd still complain .....

Was a year too late 

• Vintage 1

In any event:

Garland - Great piece, a great age, will help the offence.

Ekman-Larsson - Very, very risky player at this stage in his career.  Not to mention, 6 years left at 7M.

A lot of things will need to go right here.

8 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

But you make it sound like it’s either 9OA or OEL and nothing in between. We’ve needed D for years, but I guess time will tell if having a 30+ yo left handed OFD who looks to be on the down slide of his career is going to look 25 again, or if he’ll continue as most 30+ players do and decline year after year as we’re stuck with his contract through 2027. 

D tend to have a longer shelf life than forwards.  The team around him will be much stronger than Arizona.  A year after a pandemic I’m sure most would agree lets focus on today given we don’t know what the future holds.

• Cheers 1