The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

5 minutes ago, AV. said:

The difference between him and Edler isn't going to be night and day.  That's the point.

Whatever Edler or Markstrom provided for Petey won't be any different with Ekman-Larsson.

First of all, I'm still up in the air with this trade, so don't think I'm saying this for the sake of being against you...

However, you don't know this stuff. No one does. So stop pretending.

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Because you want to show your players that matter that you want to improve the team so they don't become like Edmonton's kids back when all they cared about was lottery picks. 9th overall pick doesn't do much for this squad. Our foundation is largely set. Now is the time to build around them. It helps build up their confidence and instead of looking at the direction the team is going and saying "well they don't care about winning, so why should we?" They can look forward to fighting and battling for playoffs. Being competitive in 2 years could just mean being a cup contender. They can and should be a playoff contender now.

This is a really important point. Well said. People have to remember that these players currently playing on this team want to win now. They don’t give a rats ass about a ninth overall. Having a highly skilled good skating defender on your team with two upgrades on the forward lines will make this team better next year. If Petey can stay healthy and Quinn continues to grow we should see improvement. You’re right the team needs to feel that management wants to go for it now and not planning for three or four years down the line.

• Cheers 2

On a side note, those who defended Beagle, Roussel, etc. are now singing a different tune today.

From "important veterans and parts of our bottom-six" to "OMG we managed to get rid of them". 

Now that makes you wonder..

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Those players were all largely good this season. It was the bottom 6 that sh*t themselves and a D core that can't pass the puck to save their lives. We got rid of 3 bottom 6 bums, got a 15 goal scorer to help depth scoring and a top 4 d-man that can actually move the puck. It's a major improvement already. The addition by subtraction of moving out Eriksson and Rooster alone is pretty massive. As it makes room for guys like Big Mac, Highmore and Gadjovich to take some prominent bottom 6 roles. Then you factor in we got another Pearson in Garland. Got a puck mover in Ekman Larsson to take the load off Hughes and add depth scoring on the blue line. I mean, come on. This is all mostly self explanatory the fact it needs explaining is kinda bonkers.

He had 40 in 50 this season, playing with our group he could end up being another JT. Someone you know is good but don't realize how good until their situation improves. This guy is a better version of Hoglander at this moment and our entire fanbase is unanimously agreed on our love for him.

Everyone worried about the cap 4 years from now needs to focus on the now,  even overpaid OEL especially if he gets back to his previous level which for me will happen since the only reason at 30 to struggle compared to when you are 28 is injuries, loss of speed or it's mental. Without knowing for sure one can pretty accurately determine in his case it's the latter IMO. We don't need a 40 point OEL anyway, we need the minute munching physical a high-end Edler for lack of a better comparison.

• Cheers 1

This is really a 30 year old half decent d-man for the ninth overall pick and Connor Garland, a pint size middle six forward for a second rounder.  The rest is just fluff.  Bad deal for the Canucks as O E-L is not worth the 8.25 a year, even with Arizona retaining 900K.  He is now 30 years old and on the downside of his career.    Garland is an exciting smallish player but the Yodel dogs picked up Dylan Guenther with the 9th overall pick.  Advantage Arizona.

Edited by Northerneagle
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Didn’t say that, but OEL at 7 M at 35 6 years vs Edler at 35 this year is a calculated risk, much better than signing LE to 6x6 at 30.  Personally I would’ve let the cap shed off naturally and taken another down season next but respect JB getting out of his cap troubles and adding 2 legit players for a 9OA.  He can now move Schmidt if he wants to without his back against the cap

And building a winner is more than the draft, we’ve been needing D for years and BPA does not always fill holes in the team.  A GM needs to use all the tools in his arsenal to build a winner

But you make it sound like it’s either 9OA or OEL and nothing in between. We’ve needed D for years, but I guess time will tell if having a 30+ yo left handed OFD who looks to be on the down slide of his career is going to look 25 again, or if he’ll continue as most 30+ players do and decline year after year as we’re stuck with his contract through 2027. 

11 minutes ago, AV. said:

The difference between him and Edler isn't going to be night and day.  That's the point.

Whatever Edler or Markstrom provided for Petey won't be any different with Ekman-Larsson.

Can we just shut down this Swedes can only relate to other Swedes nonsense.  I’m sure they have other friends from non-Scandinavian countries and can get motivated by non-Ikea related things 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Were they the reason for it or was it missing solid depth players like Dickinson, Garland etc..? 

And here I thought it was due to horrific schedule and then most of the team goes down with Covid.:(

• Haha 1

Just now, EmilyM said:

But you make it sound like it’s either 9OA or OEL and nothing in between. We’ve needed D for years, but I guess time will tell if having a 30+ yo left handed OFD who looks to be on the down slide of his career is going to look 25 again, or if he’ll continue as most 30+ players do and decline year after year as we’re stuck with his contract through 2027. 

You are missing Garland in this deal a 25 yo  top six player

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

On a side note, those who defended Beagle, Roussel, etc. are now singing a different tune today.

From "important veterans and parts of our bottom-six" to "OMG we managed to get rid of them". 

Taking random posts and turning it to the majority of thoughts here to make a lame strawman post. 

makes you wonder…

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Conor Garland says hi. 

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Only player I’ve seen defended over the past year or 2 has been Beagle and I’d still have him on my 4th line if he was healthy and ready to go.

• Cheers 2