The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

Another name is Jason Demers.  This was kind of interesting, whether there's anything to it or just trolling....

33 now, has been a top 4 guy in the past. Not going to pretend I know what he's got left but certainly an NHL defenseman. Maybe he's a decent option amongst a pretty underwhelming group. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Yes and he really crapped the bed on the Demko contract. If there is nothing to complain about today, some have to dwell on past mistakes. 

That 5x5 will probably become the best contract we got. vasi level for half price?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Another name is Jason Demers.  This was kind of interesting, whether there's anything to it or just trolling....

33 now, has been a top 4 guy in the past. Not going to pretend I know what he's got left but certainly an NHL defenseman. Maybe he's a decent option amongst a pretty underwhelming group. 

No thanks. Do they really want a player who blocked a trade to Vancouver before. Ffmm.

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Because Benning ran out of time on his first swing at OEL.

Doesn't it all depend of what you think of the OEL trade then? Assuming Benning doesn't run out of time on OEL, chances are the return for him ends up being worse than what we paid this time around. If he gives up on OEL early and resigns Tanev this time around, maybe we don't pull the trigger on OEL and Garland. 

Regardless, Schmidt was merely brought in to replace Tanev anyways, so it seems to me that your ire should be directed at the OEL attempt last year resulting in us losing Tanev and not at the Schmidt trade itself. We needed a replacement.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Not having space to re-sign Tanev because Schmidt took his money?

Pretty direct result, IMO.

Are you sure about that?

I thought Tanev took Calgary offer first.  Then we got Schmidt a few days later.  

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lol im podgoalzin in that tweet haha

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

PK Subban to Van for the 3rd rounder they got for Schmidt with 50% salary retained.

PK is a shell of what he once was but can still play top 4 minutes if fit and motivated.

I like it, as long as we get a good shutdown guy for Hughes.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It's possible. Considering where the team was when we originally inquired and where it is now, we're probably not quite the instablock we were.