The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

6 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

But he is a lefty and doesn't play a physical game last I checked..

Unless the Canucks plan is to move Hughes to the right side.

Yeah didn't think about sides. I thought he was more of a smart, efficient, smooth skating D with good puck movement. 

Does it have to be a crash and banger? 

Just now, AV. said:

Because the Canucks operate in a salary cap world and choosing to commit money to Virtanen left them without sufficient funds to bring back Toffoli.

So you say, IMO it could have been for many reasons unknown including Tofoli’s own choice.

52 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

How about you wait to see how he spends the money before automatically assuming it'll be a downgrade from an aging Tanev?

I'm willing to. Just don't see any legit answers in free agency and legit answers out of another team will come at a hefty price. No team is willing to give away defenders that can matchup against top-6 forwards so easily.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah didn't think about sides. I thought he was more of a smart, efficient, smooth skating D with good puck movement. 

Does it have to be a crash and banger? 

Preference would be too add some size a guy who can hit and block shots,the stay at home anchor so Hughes can jump up in the play as a fourth forward rover where he is more dangerous in the offensive zone.

They already have the efficient guy in OEL they hope.

They get some size with Schenn on the right side to hopefully pair Rathbone who is a puck mover and create a solid third pair or even with Juolevi.

5 minutes ago, AV. said:

Because the Canucks operate in a salary cap world and choosing to commit money to Virtanen left them without sufficient funds to bring back Toffoli.

They can go over cap by 10% in the offseason and can make other moves to accommodate the signing. 

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

My boy is going to be a Canucks' star one day.  He has the look of a Patrik Sundstrom to him

Loved Sundstrom, he was a Canuck at the wrong time. We sure did get value from his trade to NJ tho.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think it's reasonable to assume Virtanen's signing had at least some effect on our ability to sign Toffoli.

That said, it was also reasonable to prefer prefer Virtanen at his age and cap hit at the time of the contract signing to Toffoli, considering his age and probable cap hit.

44 points in 68 games for Toffoli

39 points in 69 games for Virtanen.

With the gift of hindsight it was a mistake, but at the time it was totally reasonable, considering their production was pretty similar, Virtanen was quite a bit younger, and a lot cheaper.

Thing is, it's only hindsight with bad planning and bad judgment.

Anybody who watched the Canucks saw Virtanen play for multiple seasons and knew he was inconsistent and had flaws in his game.  Even though Toffoli only played about 10 GP in the regular season and a handful of playoff games, it was clear as day to see he meshed well with either Horvat or Pettersson and took significant scoring pressure off of Miller and Boeser.

The Canucks opted for Virtanen only because he was their 6th OVR pick and they didn't want to walk away from that outright.  A very bad decision from the on-set.

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Schmidt was plan B for Benning. Unless you think that trade came together only after Benning moved on from OEL.

Which is possible, I guess, although that would say a lot about the lack of planning on Benning's part.

I have no problem with the Schmidt trade, it was Benning's best and it'll never be topped. Just hilarious how the narrative has changed on it one year later.

You have no idea what any of their plan was, stop acting like you do. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

Where are all of the fans that gave me **** because I didn't think he was a top pairing D man ? I also said he was over paid.

You are the same ones who think OEL is a top pair D man. You think that because Jim has told you he so. Everyone else in the league has said he has been declining for the past 4 years. Yet you believe Jim.

Jim's amazing plan is becoming so much clearer now. LOL

Well at least we have some cap space. Oh crap, Jim has money to spend!

5 X 5 for Garland. 

I expect two  8 X 8 deals real soon.

If Garland got 5 mil then Dickinson will get 3.5 mil.

Jim is like a kid with a twenty burning a hole in his pocket. 

Do you still have your twenty?

11 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Schmidt was plan B for Benning. Unless you think that trade came together only after Benning moved on from OEL.

Which is possible, I guess, although that would say a lot about the lack of planning on Benning's part.

I have no problem with the Schmidt trade, it was Benning's best and it'll never be topped. Just hilarious how the narrative has changed on it one year later.

What?

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, AV. said:

except many were chirping that same thing before this season. It is amazing what a determined GM can do

Montreal is rumored to be interested in Savard, but that doesn't mean Jimbo won't get him signed.

Hughes Savard

OEL Hamonic

Edler/Juolevi Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone Schenn

Would be a pretty good lineup (Edler bracketed because he may get a better offer elsewhere)

8 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Dougie 6x9.5 Hamonic 3x3 hughes 4x6 petey 3x7 paquette 2x1.5 halak 2x1.5 schenn 900 k

That uses up all our cap space (factoring in LTIR for Ferland), and then we still need to sign another forward (presumably Dickinson)

Also need to be $650k under the $81.5m cap limit due to overages from last season.

Not to mention the potential for an offer sheet on Petey...

Edited by BigTramFan