The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

24 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I can’t wait to see OEL play next year.  I’m expecting a big bounce back.  30 is not old for a defence man.  Lidstrom won his first of 7 Norris trophies at the age of 31.  I’m not suggesting OEL is Nick Lidstrom.  I just don’t think he’s done yet.  

So long Nate Schmidt.  Don’t forget the mosquito repellent!

Same. I don’t have extremely high expectations for OEL, but I do believe he’s more than just a “bad contract”.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Nave said:

I guess people my age just use it as a synonym for girl or woman. Don't mean anything negative by it at all.

I thought as much, but I consider myself old at 56 and know all of those terms. What is your age, if I might ask?

I know you don’t mean offence.

59 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I can’t wait to see OEL play next year.  I’m expecting a big bounce back.  30 is not old for a defence man.  Lidstrom won his first of 7 Norris trophies at the age of 31.  I’m not suggesting OEL is Nick Lidstrom.  I just don’t think he’s done yet.  

So long Nate Schmidt.  Don’t forget the mosquito repellent!

30 is not old.  Edler was just hitting his prime at 30.  Statistically he had his best season at age 33, with 34 points in 56 games.  OEL may not be Lidstrom but he sure has more pure talent than Edler.  OEL in Vancouer will be different than OEL in Arizona.  Watch and see.  

• Cheers 4

18 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Wow. That term is stilll used? 
PM my account if you want, I am open for discussion....

People don't really use it to mean chickenhead anymore. If anything it's an endearing thing to call a girl. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Got rid of the crybaby and got our 3rd rounder back, in a sense. I say it's a win all around. I doubt he sticks around in Winnipeg, if he didn't like Vancouver why would he like Winnipeg? But regardless, not our problem. I hope the door hit him on his way out.

Maybe the rumours were false then? It was never actually confirmed that he demanded out or hated it here.

He waived to go to Winnipeg out of all places so its starting to make me second guess those rumours.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Got rid of the crybaby and got our 3rd rounder back, in a sense. I say it's a win all around. I doubt he sticks around in Winnipeg, if he didn't like Vancouver why would he like Winnipeg? But regardless, not our problem. I hope the door hit him on his way out.

I don't understand wtf happened in Vancouver for him to leave the city that badly.

I guess we'll never know...

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

To be honest I worry about offer sheets about as much as I worry about earthquakes but I agree that it’s still good to have extra  cap space just like it is to have emergency supplies.

Im not too worried about offer sheets. I can't remember the last offer sheet that went unmatched (Dustin Penner?). I don't think teams want to be trading 1st round picks with the salary landscape the way it is, and the fact that 2022 Draft class is set to be one of the best, and 2 generational players on top of the 2023 draft

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Petey & Brock ... Tanti & Sundstrom ... but will we ever see their like again .........

I am so stoked to have a team signed Jersey with their names on it hanging on my wall.

Men I can tell my son to admire and carry himself in the same way they do.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

So how is the OEL salary looking now?  

A lot money moved out.  No worries now about an offer sheet.  

Not a second.  But Nate became a seasons rental.  

Cap wise, Hugh’s and Petey are not going anywhere.  

the nearly 10m in cap space freed up by buying out Holtby and then trading Schmidt.  

lots of money to invest in defence. 

Invest, not spend.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, the harry said:

I'm impressed, best offseason by Benning so far. Best offseason, by a mile.

Would have to agree. 

to be honest.  

he is getting better and better in the off season.  

It can only make for an improved product in this ice. 

The playoff team that pushed Las Vegas.  

that’s the type of play that needs to shown this next year. 

Whatever happened last off season, waiting in OEL and letting Toffoli walk.  

really had JB signed Toffoli then his last offseason was a walk on home run.  

let’s hope Connor Garland brings a similar style and role to the top 6.  

Wild ride.  

The Nucks and JB see this division as up for grabs.  

they put everyone else on notice this off-season and I have yet to see anyone keep up to JB arms race. 

• Cheers 1

Superstars who go into management roles after retirement usually do very well. Yzerman and Sakic are proving that.

Well we got two of them and nobody saw the ice like they did, hockey IQ off the charts.

Messes are getting cleaned up left and right in a methodical nature

I don't doubt that the Sedin's fingerprints are all over this.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Can't say you're wrong.

He's been traded at full cap for a 3rd twice now.

But again, this is a guy that can perform like a #2/3 if he finds his form.

Unless Benning has an impact player lined up somehow to replace him, it just makes a lot more sense to keep him and hope he bounces back.

OEL - Schmidt would be an incredible pairing if they both find their stride. 

Are they not both LD's....

When OEL came in, it was always likely Schmidt was being traded so RD could be upgraded...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Are they not both LD's....

When OEL came in, it was always likely Schmidt was being traded so RD could be upgraded...

At just over I million extra than Schimdt.

I will not put crap on Schimdt however I am far happier that OEL is now part of our team.

What is really interesting is not just who we aquire but what the pairings/chemistry will be amongst our D- core

• Cheers 2