The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

4 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Benning’s been habitually flushing or giving away assets for nothing.

Going all in for the youth movement & if it doesn’t start working immediately - we’re screwed. 

Hard to say if close to 6 m for Schmidt was an asset to us.

The way the cap has been frozen the past 3 years anyways,.  I’d say capspace is a bigger asset to have with the age and contractual situation of our true assets/core.

OEL Garland Dickenson, and 26m in capspace are better to have than the combined “forces” of LE, JBeagle, ARouselll, Virtannen, Holtby, and Schmidt 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 4petesake said:

To be honest I worry about offer sheets about as much as I worry about earthquakes but I agree that it’s still good to have extra  cap space just like it is to have emergency supplies.

Haha good point 

Imagine though if Petey signs an offer tomorrow. Benning matches and then needs to ship out someone to create capspace from a position of weakness? 

We would not hear the end of it here. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

The way the cap has been frozen the past 3 years anyways,.  I’d say capspace is a bigger asset to have with the age and contractual situation of our true assets/core.

OEL Garland Dickenson, and 26m in capspace are better to have than the combined “forces” of LE, JBeagle, ARouselll, Virtannen, Holtby, and Schmidt 

And the buyout option on OEL (insurance) is not all that bad... 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm also hoping that offloading Schmidt and freeing up capspace will also make another team think twice before offer sheeting Petterson tomorrow. 

Perhaps Petey was signed or locked today, and we here about it tomorrow?

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Haven’t even listed the defense which is young as it stands right now. Rathbone at 20. Juolevi at 22. Hughes at 21. Hamonic if he resigns would be one of the oldest at 30. Schenn also at 31. 

With the recent moves, my guess is our avg age will go down? 

Just now, CanucksJay said:

I hope so... It seems to quiet though... Normally it's leaked pretty quickly

It could have been templated months ago..

Jim knew he had to clear room for the appropriate RFA offer,.  
pefhaps Jim got in a roll moving players out?

Once you make those inquiries,  other offers appear, the phone starts to ring.

Schmidt to the Jets was a late deal today..

NHL office must have stayed open late lol.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/free-agency-predictions-will-brayden-point-darnell-nurse-extended/

Some interesting things.

Brandon Sutter: Vancouver. A week ago, didn’t seem like this was going to happen, but that’s changed. Momentum.

Nick Ritchie: Tough to pin down, a lot of interest

OFFER SHEET

Elias Pettersson: Vancouver was clearly rattled by the possibility of it… and have cleared a ton of cap room. I polled a few agents and executives to see if they thought it was really realistic. Mixed responses. Some yes, some no. But the Canucks thought yes, and their vote matters most.

Threw in Ritchie because, well, big body that has upside. Lots of people here liked him in 2014.

Knowing Benning I wonder if they'd show interest. Top 9 is filled but maybe they view it as insurance incase Podkolzin isn't quite there (which feels doubtful).

That said if he has this much interest maybe he's out of our price range. 

54 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m also considering the players who departed as FAs.

Edler, Tanev, Markstrom, Toffoli, Leivo, Stecher, Virtanen &  no trading deadline fodder. 

This was a year of change for everyone, but at some point continuity, team chemistry & timing win championships.

^Too many flushes & there’s not enough still water left to accomplish these goals. 

Edited by viking mama
  • RoughGame 1

29 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Benning’s been habitually flushing away assets - for nothing.

Going all in for the youth movement!  

Get a plan, properly vett the players you bring in & stick with that plan until pay day! 

@JB: I’ll stay tuned in, but, the bag of free passes for mistakes is empty. Your tenure is basically on life support. Do no more harm before you go. 

Habitually....sureee.

Plan was always to draft key pieces and compliment those players. That plan is right before your eyes.  

Tune out instead.

• Like 1

Shame, I wonder if the rumours about him wanting out were true or not, must be if he waived to go to Winnipeg.

Really wanted to see how he'd perform after a full off season and just watch, I'm sure he'll get back to his old 30-40 point, top pairing self in Winnipeg. I think the Canucks dreadful team defence and Baumer were the problem here, not Schmidt, so good luck to him.

Now this opens up a real gap on defence, we have to sign a top-4 guy, ideally someone who can play on the right. Edler circling back for 3M isn't the worst idea in the world you know...

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Habitually....sureee.

Plan was always to draft key pieces and compliment those players. That plan is right before your eyes.  

Tune out instead.

I’ve been in it to win it for decades! I’ll tune-out when I’m dead, and maybe not even then. 

Edited by viking mama

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

First off, Ive had a few beers… but I love your take on the Toffoli trade.

However…. Our team was heading towards playoffs…. Our record with Toffoli down the stretch was the only subpar part about that season. We were playing well and winning before adding Toffoli… we were sub .500 after acquiring him… however…JB did what every.. single… other GM does when heading into the playoffs… improve the roster… So Benning did just that.. he moved out zero guarantees and acquired a legit top 6 NHL calibre player who has won a cup. 
I think we can all agree that we would be absolutely f***ing pi$$ed if Benning made no attempts to improve the roster or failed to add anyone at the deadline and then we missed or had a 1st round exit.

My thoughts on the whole re-signing Toffoli was an absolute no. In the short term it might have made us a decent team… but in the long run, re-signing Toffoli…… would be another reason for Canuck “fans” to get out the torches and pitchforks.

and just to touch on the Toffoli production subject… his season with Montreal was a very.. very lucky one. He had countless lucky bounces and back door tap-ins. Not a single goal was created from speed (which is what made him so good in that ‘70’s show era) he has lost a noticeable step in his game and now on the 30 year old downward spiral, he will likely never gain that step.

Im glad we never re-signed him, but I will say I am grateful for that 2019-20 playoff run… the Laffs have never seen that much playoff hockey in the last 20 years and we saw 3 rounds in the 2nd year of the post-Sedin era!

Thank you, I enjoyed reading this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Shame, I wonder if the rumours about him wanting out were true or not, must be if he waived to go to Winnipeg.

Really wanted to see how he'd perform after a full off season and just watch, I'm sure he'll get back to his old 30-40 point, top pairing self in Winnipeg. I think the Canucks dreadful team defence and Baumer were the problem here, not Schmidt, so good luck to him.

Now this opens up a real gap on defence, we have to sign a top-4 guy, ideally someone who can play on the right. Edler circling back for 3M isn't the worst idea in the world you know...

I do wonder how much of it was Baumer... 

Schmidt made some terrible decisions last year on poorly timed pinches etc. 

We chalked it up to new team and new teammates but man, he was brutal in the first half