The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tucker Poolman | #5 | D

-AJ-

I'm not ready to write off Poolman yet either... he's still kinda young.. he just needs to get healthy again!! He does have the potential to become like Gudbranson, exactly like how he bounced back to get his career back on track!!

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I'm not ready to write off Poolman yet either... he's still kinda young.. he just needs to get healthy again!! He does have the potential to become like Gudbranson, exactly like how he bounced back to get his career back on track!!

Frankly IMO Poolman is a no hoper. Gudbranson had one outstanding quality annd it give him a career. And then he hooked up with Sutter who re taught him the game that fitted his other limited skills. Gudbranson should pay Sutter a commission :lol:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Rutherford thinks Poolman is a top 4 defenceman.  Interesting considering some posters think Benning made a major blunder in signing him.

He said he can play in their top-4 - not necessarily the same as saying he's a top-4 D.

There's not much competition on that right side and someone has to play in the top 4.  On that podcast Rutherford again repeated that they had to re-build the right side of their defence.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

The way it stands, I think Schenn will regress a lot next season and his skating will be much slower, not sure if he can keep up with Hughes again for an entire season. Schenn would really be a perfect 3rd pairing defenceman with Rathbone or Dermott. That leaves a hole for Poolman to jump up and play with Hughes. Scary stuff, even before his injury he wasn't that great to be fair but that was under Green and he didn't have long to adjust himself.

It'll be a long road back for Poolman, I wouldn't mind him on our bottom pairing but we have so many good 3rd pairing defencemen now and one of them is going to get thrust into the top-4 spot with Hughes. To be honest I'd rather see Dermott get a shot alongside Hughes.

• Like 1

There was a very small sample size of how well Poolman could play, and I commented on it at the time. He moved the puck well, took care of the gap, and was getting up in the play easily. Then, his injuries took over, and who knows what those injuries were? He would easily depose Schenn down the roster if he stayed healthy. Maybe with BB's style and system he could thrive. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, mll said:

He said he can play in their top-4 - not necessarily the same as saying he's a top-4 D.

There's not much competition on that right side and someone has to play in the top 4.  On that podcast Rutherford again repeated that they had to re-build the right side of their defence.  

Poolman 29, 6'2 - 200lbs - very good skater..Poolman biggest problem is he tries to be offensive..Poolman needs to play a simple stay at home D man make the first pass use his skating to his benefit.. I do think Poolman can be a #4 and if Bruce gets to use his magic on him give him confidence.. Keep it simple use his size and good skating play defensive he out be good for Vancouver..

Hope he is healthy again..

On 7/27/2022 at 11:33 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

So Rutherford thinks Poolman is a top 4 defenceman.  Interesting considering some posters think Benning made a major blunder in signing him.

23 hours ago, mll said:

What mll said.

He didn't call Poolman a top 4 D, just said he could play top 4 for us, our RD depth sucks.

• 3 weeks later...