The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign Darnell Nurse

2 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

Alright, knowing the Oiler’s management, here’s how I believe this contract went down.

Holland: “Darnell you’re a core part of this team and we’d like to keep you around long term. What’s a good starting point as far as money goes for you?”

Nurse: “Well Mr Holland, I think we’re a couple pieces away from being a really good team, I would be happy with around 6.75 mill as long as it’s 6 years or so.

Holland: “Sounds good, we’d like to offer you 8 mill for 8 years”

Nurse: “Really? I mean, I don’t want to handicap the team as far as the salary cap goes, I know we need to get a few more key players to take the next step. And I know Duncan Keith’s contract...”

Holland “Alright you drive a hard bargain... I’ll give you 9.25 mill for 8 years but that’s my final offer!”

Nurse “But...”

Agent: “Darnell shut up and sign on the dotted line right now”

Nurse: “Okay” *Signs* “So I’ll just go back home now...”

Darnell Nurse be like

E4BA67AB-0F2B-4BA7-97BB-2B490429687E.jpeg

Edited by PistolPete13

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If this is how it works, then what about this scenario...

Cap limit is 80m.

Team currently has an 85m cap hit.  One top 6 forward worth 5m is the reason the team is over the cap.

Team acquires a player on LTIR for the entire season with a cap hit of 6m.  Team is now cap compliant.

If the LTIR players cap hit truly counted against the cap, there would be no situation where teams acquired a player on LTIR to become cap compliant (as we have seen Tampa and Toronto do) because in this scenario the cap hit would be 86m (85m + 6m of the LTIR player less 5m used on the top 6 forward) which would still be non-compliant.

Doesn’t work that way getting that player wouldn’t make the team compliant, you still have to fit them in under the cap initially, you would still need to find 6 mill to fit them in, then you could exceed by that 6 mill, you cannot add another 6 making it 11 mill over yet be compliant 

14 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

I think the delay may be that both players wish for their bridge contracts to expire into free agency. This would give them maximum leverage to negotiate the next contract. 

Personally, I'd let them sit out the year until they agree to a reasonable length if that's their position.

• Vintage 1

Just now, UKNuck96 said:

Doesn’t work that way getting that player wouldn’t make the team compliant, you still have to fit them in under the cap initially, you would still need to find 6 mill to fit them in, then you could exceed by that 6 mill, you cannot add another 6 making it 11 mill over yet be compliant 

So why did Tampa acquire Gaborik and Nilsson ?

20 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Does not work like that in real life. You may not have the right trade partners by that time. The franchise on an upswing can not afford to lose star players to free agency either. 

Why doesn't it work like that?  A couple of top end players doesnt compensate for lack of depth.......not the Canucks too end players anyway.......we don't have a McD or Mathews or Makinnon.  JB has to keep the money spread around.  

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why doesn't it work like that?  A couple of top end players doesnt compensate for lack of depth.......not that the Canucks have that level of end players anyway.......we don't have a McD or Mathews or Makinnon.  JB has to keep the money spread around.  

Ya, we have Petey who actually plays hard without the puck.  Unlike those three ‘look at me grandma’ players. 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why doesn't it work like that?  A couple of top end players doesnt compensate for lack of depth.......not the Canucks too end players anyway.......we don't have a McD or Mathews or Makinnon.  JB has to keep the money spread around.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I think if Hughes expects a 9.5 x 8 year deal then I would be open to trading him. Deal like this would cripple teams. 

Just get another top 4 defenceman back on a reasonable Cap hit and a 1st rounder. I would be good with that. 

I'd be willing to substitute a good D prospect for the pick too.

14 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I think if Hughes expects a 9.5 x 8 year deal then I would be open to trading him. Deal like this would cripple teams. 

Just get another top 4 defenceman back on a reasonable Cap hit and a 1st rounder. I would be good with that. 

Who? Another deal with Arizona? Chychrun?

13 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Would have to agree.  As much as I like QH, a contract like that would kill any depth.

21 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Nurse finished 7th in Norris voting last year. Hughes didn't receive a single vote. He's a level above Hughes as of right now.

Just now, -AJ- said:

Nurse finished 7th in Norris voting last year. Hughes didn't receive a single vote. He's a level above Hughes as of right now.

I'd agree there. Nurse, while not the offensive dynamo, isn't too shabby offensively. 

His minutes are insane, and he's solid defensively and physically. Way more well rounded. 

Neither Nurse or Hughes is worth anywhere near $9M though. Hell, neither is Jones. 

• Vintage 3