The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking our prospects

Googlie

Rankings seems about right...

Don't like the swipe about stocking the cupboard... Can't have it both ways, unless extremely lucky.

I'm sure Benning would like more prospects, but he has now built a team ready to compete...hopefully.

If they compete well, he may have his picks for the next draft...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Don't like the swipe about stocking the cupboard... Can't have it both ways, unless extremely lucky.

I'm sure Benning would like more prospects, but he has now built a team ready to compete...hopefully.

We've had a lot of graduates, so that always takes its toll on the prospect pool.

It's not entirely bare, but definitely not as healthy as it once was, which is as expected. 

Klimovich is underrated as one of our prospects.

• Cheers 1

I think the issue with the cupboard is that everyone seems to agree with the list, with some changes in order.  Who is number 11-15 on our list that the author missed?  His evaluation seems fair, but the fact that people aren't complaining about certain players being left out is an indication of a limited cupboard.

The article says its due to Benning building for now, they are just suggesting that he makes sure he builds for the future too.

The list looks pretty accurate.  I think Klimovich and Lockwood should be a bit higher.  If I use the same players here would be my ranking:

1. Vasily Podkolzin, RW

2. Jack Rathbone, RD

3. Olli Juolevi, LD

4. Danila Klimovich, RW

5. Mike DiPietro, G

6. Aidan McDonough, LW

7. William Lockwood, LW

8. Jonah Gadjovich, RW

9. Jett Woo, RD

10. Dmitri Zlodeyev, C

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm secretly hoping that Gadjovich and Pettersson work well together, much like how Odjick worked well with Bure.

Like Bertuzzi and Naslund? Bure seems like a tall order to live up to and Gino, as much as I love the guy, wouldn’t be able to play in today’s league! 

• Cheers 1

Not that long ago, Brendan Gaunce was our best prospect.  Now throw in Costmar and all 11 have as good or better chance as becoming an nhl player.  There are others as well Persson, Jurmo, Silovs,  and more that could turn into something.  I wouldn't say the cupboards are remotely close to bare.

Edited by Dixon Ward
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Thats what happens when you dont pick in the first round 2 years in a row. That's one of the weakest farm systems in the league. 

Put up or shut up Jim. The moment the team falters a little from here on out...

Edited by Zhukini
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

Thats what happens when you dont pick in the first round 2 years in a row. That's one of the weakest farm systems in the league. 

Put up or shut up Jim. 

Drafting is fine, Jim has done a very good job drafting...We right now have 3 players in the NHL that are 22 and younger and 2 more coming this season.

Petey, Hughes, Hoglander  with Rathbone and Podkolzin will also be full time NHL players this season??

How many NHL teams have 5 players 22 and younger playing ?Ottawa would be the only other team?

So of course farm team or prospect list looks bare...

Podkolzin, 20, 6'2, 210 lbs will be exciting to watch -- 2021-22  GP 75   G 18--21  -- PTS 38--42

Rathbone 22, 5'11 -- His elite skating and offensive skills will have him a #4 D man by Xmas...

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Only two defensemen in that top ten is a potential problem.  Though Rathbone is looking as sure as one can be (with a prospect) as being an NHLer.  Particularly when you look at our blueline (two of our top four are north of 30 in terms of age).  Can always trade one (or more) of those forward prospects for defensemen prospects though.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Only two defensemen in that top ten is a potential problem.  Though Rathbone is looking as sure as one can be (with a prospect) as being an NHLer.  Particularly when you look at our blueline (two of our top four are north of 30 in terms of age).  Can always trade one (or more) of those forward prospects for defensemen prospects though.

Jett Woo hitting as an NHLer is pretty important, given our current chart.

Like you say, Rathbone is pretty much a sure thing, and that creates almost too much NHL grade LHD.

But we really need a physical, two-way RHD to push into the lineup, ideally opening the potential to move Myers, replace his minutes rather cheaply, and free up that 6M salary to help address some of the extensions in the next two years (Boeser, Horvat, Miller, etc).

There are plenty of “hopes and prayers” types of late round picks on the reserve list who offer small odds of success. Guys like Persson (RHD) and Jurmo (LHD) have top-4 D upside, and if they hit development targets, and show progress, they would quickly become top-10 ranked prospects in the system, with NHL potential.

But we really need some of these darts to hit the bullseye. Otherwise, we definitely have a weaker looking prospects system that’s rather thin on players expected to graduate to significant roles in the NHL.

Definitely can’t have JB trading away any more high picks. Ideally we find a way to recover a couple picks (maybe trading Pearson, Myers, even Motte, if his extension demands are too high), and hold onto the picks we have. Otherwise, once Podkolzin, Rathbone, Juolevi, and DiPietro graduate, our remaining prospects pool will be very thin. 

It’s kinda funny to think, but as things stand right now, if JB’s current gamble fails, the team struggles and misses the playoffs, and we don’t see some “surprise” development from our mid-to-late round picks, we could see a new GM come in and justifiably argue that the Benning regime “left the cupboards empty.” 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1