The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

13 hours ago, kloubek said:

Uh what? Montreal had a good run, no doubt. Bit if you think they are going to get anywhere close to replicating that this coming season, I feel you will be sorely disappointed.

I agree. I disagree that the canucks run the year before was comparable. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I agree. I disagree that the canucks run the year before was comparable. 

Comparable, ok... maybe not so much. My point was really just to state that one postseason doesn't necessarily indicate your team has "made it". Sometimes, everything falls into place and a team will overachieve.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't think he's a bad player but hard to justify taking him so high in the draft. 

Fact is, Montreal overachieved last year. Even if they ran it back with the same team, they'd be a borderline playoff team next season. Petry had a career year and I can't see him repeating that performance

Add to that Weber's injury along with losing Danault, Perry, etc season doesn't look good. 

I would be thinking of a way to rebuild as quickly as I can. 

If it was 2 first rounders, it would be easiesr to let JK leave but a first and a 3rd is pretty crappy considering Jesperi is still very young (21) and he was a 3rd overall pick. 

Well done Carolina. This is what a greatly planned offersheet looks like

I don't even think Montreal is a borderline playoff team.  They're in tough to make the playoffs.  Tampa, Florida, Boston, Toronto are all better than they are.  And that's just their division.  Conference wise you have Carolina, Washington, Pittsburgh, Islander, Rangers, Flyers all better teams in my opinion.

Insane to think the canadiens took KK over Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes. Not even like they were late bloomers or anything, everyone and their dog had them ahead of KK. Bergevin could have literally googled it and made a better pick. 

As far as match vs. not? I'd say walk, between the 6.1mil of cap and the 1st+3rd it's a no brainer. Cut your losses and find a better #2 center.

• Cheers 1

On 9/1/2021 at 8:50 AM, BPA said:

If MTL matches, they will be just as  vulnerable next year when both JK and Suzuki becomes RFA.  Unless they are able to re-sign them asap.  But even then, it'll be a tight cap hit that will force some players to be traded out.

honestly i'd let the canes take KK and sign Suzuki and wait for caufield, seems like he'll be decent, never been a big fan of KK and paying 6.1 and a 20 dollar bonus lol, its all laughs but think it would be for the best for them, i like the habs too.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:58 PM, qwijibo said:

To be fair Bergevin has made some very astute trades and built a team that went to the cup final.  Benning hasn’t had that level of success 

true but i do think that was a fluke of a run, i cheer for MTL 2nd after the nucks but i dont think they'll even be close too be the team they were last year with the weird covid short season, with the full 32 team rotation, i guess we'll see though, hoping the best for the canucks first and MTL 2nd, obviously you follow them closely more than me, but on the subject of KK i dont see anything special to be honest but suzuki is a beaut.

i honestly don't think montreal will match it.. i mean jk already have almost 200 games in the nhl.. so you kinda know what he is already.. not worthy of a 3rd overall pick not quite a bust? but if there's 1 player they trade out of the young rfa cores they have JK would be the optimal choice and there's no way in hell anyone will give you a 1st and a 3rd for JK.. at least not the current version of him.

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i honestly don't think montreal will match it.. i mean jk already have almost 200 games in the nhl.. so you kinda know what he is already.. not worthy of a 3rd overall pick not quite a bust? but if there's 1 player they trade out of the young rfa cores they have JK would be the optimal choice and there's no way in hell anyone will give you a 1st and a 3rd for JK.. at least not the current version of him.

Sad thing for them, MTL wanted to trade for PLD last year and they walked when Columbus asked for KK lol.  He just had a really good playoff in the bubble and was on a streak when the talks were going on.  I'm pretty sure they would pull that trigger now if they could do it again.

But agree, the fact they were radio silent all week, tells me they are highly considering not matching.  Probably working on a deal to acquire another center with those first pick.  I'm guessing they are working on Eichel but not sure that gets done.  Not sure who else would be available.

9 hours ago, Viper007 said:

I don't even think Montreal is a borderline playoff team.  They're in tough to make the playoffs.  Tampa, Florida, Boston, Toronto are all better than they are.  And that's just their division.  Conference wise you have Carolina, Washington, Pittsburgh, Islander, Rangers, Flyers all better teams in my opinion.

Wow, I forgot how stacked their division was. Yikes... 

4 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

true but i do think that was a fluke of a run, i cheer for MTL 2nd after the nucks but i dont think they'll even be close too be the team they were last year with the weird covid short season, with the full 32 team rotation, i guess we'll see though, hoping the best for the canucks first and MTL 2nd, obviously you follow them closely more than me, but on the subject of KK i dont see anything special to be honest but suzuki is a beaut.

Kotkaniemi will be a loss.  He literally just turned 21 and he’s shown flashes of the player he’ll be.  That said you can’t pay him $6.1m when you have Suzuki due for a contract next year and Caufield the year after.  

• Cheers 1