The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

5 hours ago, Millerdraft said:

30 pages… Surely someone has brought up the notion that should Bergevin not match that he might be willing to offer sheet Pettersson, yes?

Offer sheet with what cap space? 

Benning would match because he actually has cap space.

Stupid move by Montreal with trying to poach Aho. 

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

This may be a very unpopular statement, but I take the 4 and run. Petey isn't worth that right now, and I don't think he makes Montreal good enough to be a playoff team. Those 4 first picks could be lotto picks, imo.

JB has been trying to build a core that's within the same age range and would make the team competitive now.  While the trade may seem enticing, it would mean breaking from the masterplan as a whole.  It would be a marketing nightmare to lose your top player when you've just told fans you'll be competitive in 2 years.

I only see JB not matching if he feels that Petey's injury is significant enough or if Petey publicly doesn't want to be a Canuck.  The odds of both of these are likely slim to none.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

JB has been trying to build a core that's within the same age range and would make the team competitive now.  While the trade may seem enticing, it would mean breaking from the masterplan as a whole.  It would be a marketing nightmare to lose your top player when you've just told fans you'll be competitive in 2 years.

I only see JB not matching if he feels that Petey's injury is significant enough or if Petey publicly doesn't want to be a Canuck.  The odds of both of these are likely slim to none.

Totally fair points. Personally I have totally bought in to what JB is selling. It would be a huge blow to the core of we lost Petey. Regardless, I don't foresee thing being an issue regardless.

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering the Habs are very likely a bottom 10 team this year, maybe it’s best they don’t match, collect picks, and rebuild.  The draft is in Montreal in 2022 too.  

when all the smoke clears from this, my guess is Bozak and Anisimov get 1 year deals to fill MTLs gap. 

1 hour ago, BabychStache said:

I think this is the scenario;

They don’t have a third, so the offer would have to be over $10.5+, which is 4 1st round picks. Which Montreal can’t do without moving salary out. 

8.2 - 10.3M is 2x1st round picks, 1x2nd round pick, 1x 3rd round pick

59 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

This may be a very unpopular statement, but I take the 4 and run. Petey isn't worth that right now, and I don't think he makes Montreal good enough to be a playoff team. Those 4 first picks could be lotto picks, imo.

I definitely take the 4 but Montreal can't accommodate that cap wise. I may even take the the 2 x 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if it an offer comes in at 10.2.

Yeah it would suck losing Petey, and ideally the compensation would be more but those are potential lotto picks PLUS, there are few players worthy of earning over $10M cap wise and EP40 is not one of them at this juncture. But this is an extremely unlikely scenario. I don't imagine Bergevin is itching to do another offer sheet considering the position it has left him in

7 hours ago, Millerdraft said:

30 pages… Surely someone has brought up the notion that should Bergevin not match that he might be willing to offer sheet Pettersson, yes?

6 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Yes.

...and don't call me Shirley.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

He's still really young. 

I actually think he'll be a solid top 6 player. 

Pretty big gamble to take a late 1st rounder and a 3rd round pick (which is very unlikely to pan out) when you have a young bonafide NHL player who will most likely end up being a top 6.player.

Idk what it is, but the kid gives me some bad vibes.

His speed is decent, but he doesnt exactly fly past people

His hands arent bad, but he doesnt really dangle anyone

his shot is alright, but not deadly.. he scores a lot of his goals through screens or one timers. Which is great and all, but its not like he has a shot that can just straight up beat a goalie like Boeser for example.

His passing is decent but not game changing

He finds the open areas but he doesnt  go hard to the dirty areas. However he is pretty damn good at finding open space, which is pretty important, but if there isnt any open spots, is he going to contribute?

I’ll give the kid some props for dropping the gloves. 

To me Kotkaniemi is a pretty decent player, but he just doesnt do anything to really separate himself from other players, be it passing, shooting, creativeness or hands. I get this gut feeling that he is going to struggle moreso than contribute throughout his career and he’ll bounce around the lineup and then

Kotkaniemi seems to be decent at a lot of things, but doesnt excel at anything in particular

He is still very young and its a pretty small sample size, but something about him just seems off… Plus f*** him for what he did to Pettersson. I know it wasnt dirty but it still cost him an injury.

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

for 1 year. 

I doubt Carolina feels he’s worth thst. They just knew that’s the kind of overpayment that would mess with Montreal in a big way.  That’s  the value in the number.  The player himself isn’t worth remotely that right now. 

7 hours ago, Millerdraft said:

After tasting the lash of Dundon’s whip, I don’t think MB will be throwing around any

more offer sheets anytime soon. 

Even bad puppies learn their lesson. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I doubt Carolina feels he’s worth thst. They just knew that’s the kind of overpayment that would mess with Montreal in a big way.  That’s  the value in the number.  The player himself isn’t worth remotely that right now. 

they also know that that was the kind of number that would be required if montreal wasn't going to match, and i'd be willing to bet that if carolina gets him, extension talks will begin almost right away in the $3-4 million range, if there isn't already a longer term deal worked out that is.

2 minutes ago, tas said:

they also know that that was the kind of number that would be required if montreal wasn't going to match, and i'd be willing to bet that if carolina gets him, extension talks will begin almost right away in the $3-4 million range, if there isn't already a longer term deal worked out that is.

Montreal could match and work on the same sort of extension. 

I don’t understand why some folks saying they would take 4 firsts for Petey. He is our best player, has the potential to be a top 5 NHL player and the rest of the team would lose their minds! Why would any of our players want to stay with all this mixed messaging about competing now to back to rebuilding? The Canucks will turn into a disaster of a franchise.

Also, the Habs would be a much better team with Petey so don’t be so certain about them firsts being top ten. Regardless, for arguments sake 2 of them are. Do you really think we can replace Petey in one of those 2 picks? 

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t understand why some folks saying they would take 4 firsts for Petey. He is our best player, has the potential to be a top 5 NHL player and the rest of the team would lose their minds! Why would any of our players want to stay with all this mixed messaging about competing now to back to rebuilding? The Canucks will turn into a disaster of a franchise.

Also, the Habs would be a much better team with Petey so don’t be so certain about them firsts being top ten. Regardless, for arguments sake 2 of them are. Do you really think we can replace Petey in one of those 2 picks? 

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

I think it's the lure of next years franchise C Wright and the following year of 2 generational talents in Bedard and that Russian forward.  They are expected to jump right into the NHL.

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Probably not, but the $6m is just for one year and (apparently) a new contract, with more term and far less $ will be secured for the following year(s). 

There's a lot more behind this story though.  Carolina had approached the Habs regarding Koko before the offer sheet was presented.  Also, it appears that the Habs have not done a good job developing their young players; mostly due to a lack of trust and sitting them during important games.

It seems that Carolina likes the young Russian's game and believe he will develop into a better player in their system.  If they're right, they will have a 2nd C in exchange for a late round 1st and 3rd.  Not too shabby.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/stu-cowan-hurricanes-show-confidence-in-jesperi-kotkaniemi/ar-AANXa57?ocid=BingNewsSearch

• Cheers 1