The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which 1st OVERALL PICK in their prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Which 1st OVERALL PICK in their prime are you taking?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I picked Syd.

Reading through; I wonder if I should have picked Lefleur? Scored 50 + goals 6 straight years when I watched him as a kid. Although a very slick skater he was sneaky good. You wondered how he did it, versus how come he cannot be stopped? 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

My choice isn't on your list for some reason. Mario Lemieux is who I'd go with. He dominated over a long period of time and elevated his game when necessary.

He left it off on purpose because only an idiot wouldn’t choose Mario! Lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

i personally think McDavid is the best individual player, but I still think winning a cup is necessary to top any list. Had to vote for Sid

My slight complaint with McDavid is that he only really brings it on one side of the rink (albeit, like none other that the world has see ).  As it relates to Crosby, Crosby was superior to McDavid in almost every single way except for skating.  Crosby is also on a whole different level in terms of intangibles and leadership.  Atleast how it comes across to me.

Lafleur has a strong case to make in terms of being placed ahead of Crosby here.  For everyone else on this list however, I don’t think anyone comes close to measuring up.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sassbs said:

Not to mention lefluer and all the other greats in that the era had to the worst diets possible.   Lefluer smoked between periods, Gretzky pregame meal was hotdogs. 
imagine if these guys were training like how today’s players trained!

mmmm hot dogs.

had these just yesterday

240890929_5032185800130273_5719758135645707404_n.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I feel like as much as Sid gets high praise/props from this current generation - that I haven’t heard much talk about where he rates in the all-time list of greats.

His scoring, cups, international play etc... For me he’s easy Top 10, and I kind of wonder if he doesn’t edge into the discussion about Top 5 All-Time. 

As for this poll - for me it’s no question.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nzan said:

I feel like as much as Sid gets high praise/props from this current generation - that I haven’t heard much talk about where he rates in the all-time list of greats.

His scoring, cups, international play etc... For me he’s easy Top 10, and I kind of wonder if he doesn’t edge into the discussion about Top 5 All-Time. 

I've been debating him as high as 6th in my mind recently. Not sure I'm convinced of that yet, but we'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Of the choices that are there, its pretty simple for me. Even though McDavid probably has a little higher skill level, Crosby won the cup at the age of 21, McDavid is 24 and still hasn't been able to pilot his team past the first round yet, even with the talent level up front.

McDavid wasn't even able to get himself past Cole Cassels in Junior!

The Oilers did make it to game 7 of the 2nd round in 2017 with McDavid, the first time they made the playoffs in a long time. He did underperform though with 9 points in 13 games.

That said, in 2019-20, he was insane, scoring 9 points in just 4 games even though his Oilers got dumpstered by the Blackhawks.

Still, I want to see high point production in a deep run from him--at least to the conference finals.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The Oilers did make it to game 7 of the 2nd round in 2017 with McDavid, the first time they made the playoffs in a long time. He did underperform though with 9 points in 13 games.

That said, in 2019-20, he was insane, scoring 9 points in just 4 games even though his Oilers got dumpstered by the Blackhawks.

Still, I want to see high point production in a deep run from him--at least to the conference finals.

Good luck with that...
:bigblush:

15 minutes ago, goog16 said:

Hands down, Mario Lemieux...why isn't he on your list????

Lindros would be a close second.

It's been explained throughout the thread. It is because Super Mario would win hands down that he is not a choice. 

Therefore I guess it is who else would you want. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

wasn't gretzky the number 1pick in the whl.?

No he was signed by Nelson Skalbania on a personal services contract in 1978 to play with the Indianapolis Racers.  After 8 games Skalbania sold him to Peter Pocklington and the Edmonton Oilers.  The Oilers then joined the NHL in 1979.  So Gretzky was never actually drafted.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I've been debating him as high as 6th in my mind recently. Not sure I'm convinced of that yet, but we'll see.

For center's or all players?  Pretty hard to put Crosby ahead of Yzerman and Sakic, and those are just recent guys, at least if he retired soon.  Then of course Gretzky and Mario and Orr...Potvin would be a tough career to beat on this list too.  Hasn't yet.    But could see him getting there maybe.   Guess we will have to wait and see.   As far as primes go, Lafleurs is the best of this list but not as long as Potvins    Sure he smoked, imagine if he didn't.   So did Probert, still played 18-20 minutes a night for Detroit for awhile.  As did quite a few others right into the 2000's.    

As for this list, I went with Potvin.  Because his prime started right away (like a few others) and 19 consecutive playoffs ... wow.   Best player on that team.   Lafleur was a very close second. Couldn't pick between Crosby and Lindros as far as primes go - Lindros couple years at the top but didn't last very long ... that made me really look at those before them.   Hawerchuk ... if only he was in EDM or Calgary.   To me i can't see much difference between Hawerchuk and Crosby other then good luck with teammates.   And no McDavid isn't as good as Crosby was ... yet anyways. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nzan said:

I don't think Crosby gets near the top 10 all time yet:

Gretzky

Lemieux

Orr

Howe

Messier

Jagr

Hasek

Roy

Yzerman

Bourque

I'd have all those guys ahead of him for sure.  There are others that are debatable like Sakic, Francis, Esposito, Coffey, Bossy, Brodeur, Ovechkin, Lidstrom, Harvey, Richard, Beliveau, Sawchuk, etc...

However, given the fact that both Crosby and Ovechkin are still playing, then that could push them both into the top 10 by the time they retire.  Same with McDavid.  He has the potential to break the top 10 as well when all is said and done depending on what he accomplishes over the next 10-15 years.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Sidney Crosby as the obvious choice for me but Patrick Kane right behind him

I agree. I strongly dislike Patty Kane but there’s no denying the fact the guy is a player and turns it up when it counts. 

That being said, it’s Crosby at the top for me as well…. And it’s not close. 

• Like 1

Lemieux or Orr.

Gretzky had vision and anticipation like he had esp or something. 

But Mario could do it all. Be physical, skate like the wind and score at will. 

No matter what era, Mario would dominate, he may not be the best, but he was the most complete package.

The tragedy is injuries and Cancer. He single handedly saved the Penguins franchise. On and off the ice. 

Ovi when all is said and done will have something to say. If Ovi had Lemieux in his prime as his centre. Oh God. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I was torn a little and picked Crosby by a nose

Top 4 off that list for me are.....

Crosby

Perrault

Potvin

McDavid

My process is I ask myself is if they played against each other in their prime, who would dominate who?

These are the 4 that rose to the top................Honorable mention to Eric Lindros

He did not make it to the top 5 because of longevity...........but his talent was on par

Tomorrow, it would be the same people but maybe a different order............like I say, they are very close

PS........McDavid has not won anything, like the other 3, so he is at # 4, and I don't see the same leadership from him

• Upvote 1