The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good is the Canucks D now?

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

Slow poke Edler took on the toughest minutes last season regardless.   Wonder how QHs would have managed doing that?  Worse is my guess. 

Bomber/Shaw or whomever can only work with what they have.   And this year it's for sure a turning point.   Edler was a massive massive whipping boy since he almost scored 50 points and never did better.   Like three phases with the fanbase really.   First phase wasn't long, just excitement!  Who is this guy who beat out  Bourdon?  Wow awesome this guys amazing, hits like a tank and skates well for a big guy and puts up points!  Norris trophies coming next! 

Short phase.   Then .... well Hamhuis is better.  Bieksa is better.   And man why isn't he breaking 50 points!   When is he ever going to breakout...this guy isn't a top pairing guy.    This is the longest phase .... whipping boy.   Why is he leading the league in minus?   Where is the Edler of "old?"...  you know the one who was going to win Norris trophies!  He's not a legit top pairing guy just ok at best.   This phase and b!tching went on until he signed his last deal.   Most but obviously not All the b!tchers shut-up when he passed Ohlund and became our all-time leader in games played and points for a D. 

Third stage.   Last contract.   Hey well Edler was actually pretty awesome at the worlds so yeah - decent contract.   He's still a great defenseman and a leader in the locker room.   Hey who's that Giraffe sitting across the room from him and why in the heck is HE making so much money!   Pitchforks out let's get em!   

Point is, some fans just suck.  And don't see the forest for the trees.    I was, like a lot of fans, a little sad he never added to his breakout season.   But didn't participate in the awful bashing.   We should be happy and proud to have an Eagle when we had him which for sure we did.   One of the best 3rd rounders we've ever had.    Even his last season with us he did his standard solid play, killed them most penalties and played against the toughest guys.   Sure he lost some foot speed.   But also was great in front of the net and continued to make players pay for coming into our zone.   Something QHs won't ever be capable of doing unless he unleashes his inner Chelios, goes on 200km bike rides in 35 degree heat with no water just for fun.  

Lol so ... so you b!tch about Edler - i'm b!tching about QHs not being more like him.     Lumme, Ohlund, Edler, Babych, Jovo, you just can't have too many guys like them.   Or for the younger generations, Salo, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa ....Erhoff sucked after he left.   Lidster meh - one great year with us.   Reinhardt and QHs are both special players.   I'm excited to see how his career goes with us, but i'm pretty sentimental when it comes to guys that kill penalties, hit like trucks, and can do it all as well. 

i don't disagree and you've described our love/hate affair with Edler reasonably well but when I say he was a slow poke last year - i mean it.   I can't count the number of times he got whizzed by and it was sad to see him become an old war horse as he stayed about 2 seasons too long than he should have - although yes, he ate up minutes due to JB's inability to restock the defensive fridge and for that we thank him.   I also agree that QH is indeed a special player and once he cleans up his defensive game and gets out of the plus/minus "doghouse" as being the 7th worst +/- player out of 913 players in the Entire National Hockey league last year - I'll be smiling.

• Cheers 1

On 9/9/2021 at 2:08 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

We all know the Canucks can put the puck in the net, but the key to winning a cup is usually built around a solid defence and goaltending.  Not wanting to start a "flame TSN" thread, but a recent TSN article released suggests that the Canucks have the worst defense in Canadian teams this year with a grade C attributed to them:

https://www.tsn.ca/grading-the-defencemen-on-canada-s-nhl-teams-1.1691570

I disagree.  I think the defence looks better and deeper than recent years and is arguably better than a number of Canadian teams.  Granted a lot will depend on how well OEL plays because this will help define how well players like QH and TM can excel in more optimal roles.  In order for the Canucks to be contenders, they badly need at least a top 10 D in the league and I don't think they're there yet, but the course is being corrected.  

What do you think?  Is the D improved enough to bump up the win column this year or is TSN bang on?

Your serious? TSN is a joke.. obviously your not aware that the Canadian universe is centered in Toronto right? Or at least they seem to think so and talk like they know everything, not as bad as the moron media we have here in Vancouver BUT a close second..  when I lived there for a year, I "tried" listening to it but all I could do was listen for awhile, shake my head, laugh and click it off..  way too painful to listen to so go ahead and bash, they suck! just like the Laffs.. and trust me when I say TSN  stands for the T.oronto S.ports N.etwork.. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

i don't disagree and you've described our love/hate affair with Edler reasonably well but when I say he was a slow poke last year - i mean it.   I can't count the number of times he got whizzed by and it was sad to see him become an old war horse as he stayed about 2 seasons too long than he should have - although yes, he ate up minutes due to JB's inability to restock the defensive fridge and for that we thank him.   I also agree that QH is indeed a special player and once he cleans up his defensive game and gets out of the plus/minus "doghouse" as being the 7th worst +/- player out of 913 players in the Entire National Hockey league last year - I'll be smiling.

The last part is an easy one, I doubt you'll see him lined up much against McD's, Drai's, of the NHL with the arrival of OEL, that's why his +/- was so bad, however he can find that roll but not yet, even the best D is the league get schooled here and there on nights against the NHL's elite forwards... Huey is still young, he'll be fine... 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That does sound familiar...

Still, he's looking for a job and we may be looking for a RD.

Yeah, the conditions have likely changed dramatically, since Demers refused to waive his NTC for Vancouver in 2017.

At the time, he was only one year into a newly minted $4.5M AAV x 5 year contract.

Had he agreed to the trade, he’d have likely paid around $2M more in taxes in Vancouver than he has in Arizona.

(As well as paying around double for his housing and at least 10% more money on most consumer goods.)

That’s a pretty significant hit to the pocket book, just to join a struggling/rebuilding team.

Easy to see why he chose Arizona (similar low taxes to Florida) over Vancouver.

Today, however, he’s looking at a cheap one year deal to extend his career.

The landscape has changed significantly and I doubt he’d refuse the Canucks if they offered him ~1M for one season. Lots of talk out there already that he may have to settle for around league minimum this year.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Leafs having the best defense....

Is the Canucks' defense better? Probably. More speed, mobility. More talent in some guys, perhaps less experience in others. 

regards,  G.

It has to have originated on TSN somehow, you know how they are Mr G..  it's not nicked the Toronto Sports Network for nothing! lmao! 

Oh side note, our D is going to be a lot better than last year, and a big chunk of that is going to come from Rathbone, not just OEL.. and if OJ ever developes an attitude like "all in" that will help, no, he's not as bad as Jake was but hopefully that will come... that aside our D is a lot better, they just need playing time together, but since JB has done the majority of the work putting together a much better team overall than in recent history, the turnstile of players is all but over, as long as peeps remember that and give them some time to get used to it, and get experience with each other, then it's going to be a great time to be a canucks fan for the first time since 2012.  GCG! 

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Personally i feel we have a very mobile defense that only lacks truculent stay at home defenders.   Enough has been said about our right side.   It is what it is - the NHL has 50% more natural RHds then it had LHDs that won't change overnight.   We aren't the only team in the same boat.   It's not terrible and it has the potential to be something special if OEL regains his previous form, Myers doesn't regress and QHs gets better which for sure he's more likely to do them not.   If the top 12 upfront help out we will be just fine. 

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Personally i feel we have a very mobile defense that only lacks truculent stay at home defenders.   Enough has been said about our right side.   It is what it is - the NHL has 50% more natural RHds then it had LHDs that won't change overnight.   We aren't the only team in the same boat.   It's not terrible and it has the potential to be something special if OEL regains his previous form, Myers doesn't regress and QHs gets better which for sure he's more likely to do them not.   If the top 12 upfront help out we will be just fine. 

Myers played a solid 27 minutes vs the F'Lames and looked good, so I don't think regression is a worry for him yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/3/2021 at 1:03 PM, JM_ said:

Myers played a solid 27 minutes vs the F'Lames and looked good, so I don't think regression is a worry for him yet.

Myers regressing is more about his last year ... i'm not worried about that now one bit.    And if he remains healthy pretty sure he will get another deal. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Myers regressing is more about his last year ... i'm not worried about that now one bit.    And if he remains healthy pretty sure he will get another deal. 

so far he's looking great.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

All i can say is OEL is one slick customer.   Think we can make it work with one strong side at least for now. 

have to admit, I didn't pay much attention to him with AZ but man he's a nice skater to watch. I really like what I've seen from Poolman out outside of one single brain fart.

It sounds like whatever is going on with Hamonic is resolving sooner than later too.

• Cheers 1

I think its very difficult to know how good they will be.  But I do think it will be an improvement.  The question is if its a significant improvement.  Because we need a significant improvement.

IF Hamonic finally joins the team soon, and just based on what I've seen in preseason, OEL, Rathbone, Hunt, Poolman, even Schenn and Burroughs as depth, I'm not as pesimistic as the national sports media are.  It depends a lot on how pairs mesh.  If all goes well, we could be one of the best.

If OEL can actually regain his mojo its looking good. Just doing what he's doing in preseason would be fine, but I'm hoping for some highlights from him this season. He looks like an Edler out there with the same number, tall Swede.  But you can tell its an alternate universe Edler, he just seems a little more aware of whats going on, a little quicker to pass and to shoot. To make decisions in general.  I think at times, Edler was a detriment.  Nothing against him personally, but he would tend to slow the game down when he had the puck. Be careful.  And that's better than pushing the pace more than you can handle, but OEL seems able to push the play harder, and fits better with a younger fast core.

As usual, injuries will probably be a huge factor, as it is on every team.

The issue with the defense is really the lack of an elite defensive guy on the right side. It has better 3-6 level depth types on both sides so it might have to be a bit more of a defense by committee approach.

The real problem with the defense is Baumgartner though. His preferred style was a bad fit with last years group and will be even worse with this group.