The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

6 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

So who is in control? The agent or the player? If Petey or Hughes wanted this to end and be with the team at training camp they would have. 

The agent is a lot more experienced than the players in this field. It is easy to talk the players into accepting a contract or not. Especially an agent like Berry.

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

So, when do we think our newly signed duo will get their first preseason action? Not tomorrow obviously, but we have games on the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th (our last preseason game). I’m going with the 7th, which is a week from today.

Well they have to do the bag skate times double so ya probably get them in the 7th and 9th lol

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

It's like when you flirt with a waitress.  You know deep down she does it with every customer for tips, but you want to believe just for an hour that she's a little into you.  You would be the guy telling me I'm too old and fat for her and she just wants my tips.  You might be right but nobody wants to go for beers with you.

Eh, personally I'd rather go for beers with that guy than the guy who's making a complete ass of himself creeping out the waitress.

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Realistically, you aren't going to score on the back half of that shift.

Yes I get that, but OEL will get the job done at times in the first half of it which takes away the need for the back half. Plus the regular 5v5 time will be lessened too. So that could take away some of the offensive stats, which as long as the overall team defense improves including Hughes, then great. I get that it should help with the defensive side where he won't have to log the brunt of the minutes, but does that mean Hughes can be trusted more defensively or is this just another way to shelter him further? The main point is I'd like to see Hughes be able to be reliable no matter who he's facing he's facing and whoever the opposition lines up against him.

Expected 2 bridge deals, but glad we got Hughes for 6 years.

7.75 seems a little high but we can't take last years "-" numbers as gospel with the whole team performing poorly under extreme Covid fatigue and a hellish schedule.

If Hamonic leaves , I hope Poolman plays on his right side and have Demers or the new guy playing with OEL.

For Petey, if he can stay healthy he's worth every penny

Time to enjoy a very exciting Canucks team this year, and should be playoff bound!

1 hour ago, bbllpp said:

Agreed, it’s not terrible but a player that needs the right partner is not a top player and the money we’ve over paid him for the next couple years is not available to pay for said parter.  We are going down before up over the next couple years based on the these contracts, using Ferland’s LTIR means no depth, trade flexibility this year, it won’t be there next year for raises/depth nor the year after.  There is no real money coming off the books until Myers is done in 3 years so these guys better be lights out otherwise we’ll struggle to tread water the next few years 

Did you see the moves JB pulled off this summer?!!!  I have faith!  The roster is vastly improved vs a few years ago and this team is young....should get better as you hope.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

What team to you cheer for?  I'm a fan of the Vancouver Canucks.  I think Hughes is the most exciting Dman I have seen play for my team, ever.  

I think just another season of experience alone will help a young dman. He is already putting up crazy offense. He just has to slightly improve his defence to be a Norris candidate

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

UFA years are pricey.

So does this mean that we're trading for the other Hughes bro's?

Not a huge fan of Jack.  I mean I would take him as a finesse player but I think we have enough of those now.  

Give me a Ryan O'Reilly type next :) 

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So it's about 1.5 mill more than that on the books, spread between two players, which makes them both overpaid by about 750K in your eyes?

That's "worst case scenario" for you?

Add to that the fact that, if we do decide to move on from Hughes a few years down the line, we'll be moving him with term left, thus netting us a bigger return than if we were to move him with only one year left.

Worst case doesn’t need to mean terrible just not a preferred out come, if that money went to term for Petey I would be more OK as the Risks are lower and he’s proven more in my mind.

In isolation the deals are good but for me in the context of the cap and holes in the team it’s going to be difficult to add and keep pieces over the next couple years.  My personal opinion is that that 1.5 M could’ve been used elsewhere to make the team better and more competitive over the next three years.  Myers is off the books in three years and cap should be going up by then, money would’ve been there for both.

12 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

It's like when you flirt with a waitress.  You know deep down she does it with every customer for tips, but you want to believe just for an hour that she's a little into you.  You would be the guy telling me I'm too old and fat for her and she just wants my tips.  You might be right but nobody wants to go for beers with you.

And there you go again 

1 hour ago, bbllpp said:

Agreed, it’s not terrible but a player that needs the right partner is not a top player and the money we’ve over paid him for the next couple years is not available to pay for said parter.  We are going down before up over the next couple years based on the these contracts, using Ferland’s LTIR means no depth, trade flexibility this year, it won’t be there next year for raises/depth nor the year after.  There is no real money coming off the books until Myers is done in 3 years so these guys better be lights out otherwise we’ll struggle to tread water the next few years 

Quinn is 21 years old who is already a top 5 producing dman in the league who despite what people say carried Tanev in his rookie year, one only needs to look at the fact Tanev had gross numbers away from Quinn while Quinn had slightly better numbers away from him.

The only case to be made about his D was the first 19 games last season and a few games after covid but for me the 2019-2020 season including the bubble paint z much clearer picture.

Last season is far to much of an outlier to use as proof that he sucks at D. And I get points aren't everything for D but maybe you can tell me why almost every single D that wins a Norris or gets the fat contracts are usually elite offensively?

Would you agree that most young D even guys like Cale and Dahlin leave a lot to be desired defensively? In Cales case he's had the luxury of being on a good team with a good partner while being stapled to perhaps the best line in hockey, yet when they are defending a lead and EJ is healthy he gets the tough minutes.

• Vintage 1