The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

6 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

You said “offer sheets don't come early” which implied that we wouldn’t expect one for EP until later (ie September). Right after that comment an offer sheet was signed. Did I misinterpret your intent?

All i was saying is it's late in the game, we are approaching the 11th hour and offer sheets could start coming now (and parroting what JP Barry said when asked about EP getting an offer sheet right at the start of the off season - as in they typically come late in the game - and yes it's late in the game...august is almost over)... an offer sheet coming a day later ... well when does training camp start?   Not many RFAs left to sign really is there, all the big ones but ours have been done for awhile now.   Ones that could get offer sheeted anyways.  

I made a few posts about this so was rambling a little so no harm no fowl no worries  - one before the one you replied too...basically suggesting that JB could be waiting to see if any offer sheets arrive to flip the script with EP and QHs on Barry (EP long term, QHs a bridge).    Speaking of which Barry himself said he saw them both being done sometime in August right after the off season started, and also saying that offer sheets to EP wouldn't likely come until late in the game or if the team couldn't match.   Likely both.   IF EP gets an offer sheet then we match if reasonable and flip the switch on QHs and offer him what's reasonable of what is left.    The intent was JB has a tactical advantage waiting for an offer sheet.   The fact one came in after  speaks to exactly what i was suggesting, it's Aug 29 now, late in the game now, training camp coming soon... I didn't know this then neither did anyone else but  Bergy and Waddell.  

Edit:  I didn't know about CAR offer sheet until i got up this morning...

Edited by IBatch

Let's just wait for a press conf by JB when the deal is done.  All sides doing their best to get the deal. 

As long this doesn't drag into pre season and distract the team, I'm good.

If they are not able to reach an agreement by then, expect the fan base and media go bonkers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

lol the canucks are actually in quite a bit of trouble next year in terms of cap.. let's just say hughes and EP signs for combine 15mil.. that leaves as with 12.5mil ish cap space next year.. Boeser QO starts at 7.5mil so that leaves us 5mil to 4 players just to make the minimum 20 man roster? if rathbone and juolevi have an ok/decent year.. they aint re-signing for 750k.. and let's just say boeser stays healthy and improve on his previous season.. he might be looking at more than the 7.5mil lol.. 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol the canucks are actually in quite a bit of trouble next year in terms of cap.. let's just say hughes and EP signs for combine 15mil.. that leaves as with 12.5mil ish cap space next year.. Boeser QO starts at 7.5mil so that leaves us 5mil to 4 players just to make the minimum 20 man roster? if rathbone and juolevi have an ok/decent year.. they aint re-signing for 750k.. and let's just say boeser stays healthy and improve on his previous season.. he might be looking at more than the 7.5mil lol.. 

I'm expecting shipping out Miller will fix most of the problem. May be a real possibility depending how good Hog and Pod are next season. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

God forbid our players play well. If we cannot fit them all under the cap, then we make trades while our players have good value. It's a good problem to have.

• Vintage 3

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

God forbid our players play well. If we cannot fit them all under the cap, then we make trades while our players have good value. It's a good problem to have.

haters will always hate, think Vintage should portal them to the Laffs forum...

13 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

When Chicago won their first cup in ages, they had Byfuglien and traded him immediately after. They also traded Sharp, Shaw, Brouwer, and many others due to cap. Yet, they still had, if not a dynasty, a "near dynasty" and was a good team for many years after that.

If you are panicing about the Canucks being in a similar situation of actually having a good team and needing to trade these players away to stay under the cap, then I WANT your scenario to happen since that is EXACTLY what we are striving for and how we can be a good team long term. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

I think they hashed out a deal early in the summer they just delayed signing announcement to keep cap flexibility and so that could utilize LTIR in the end. 
just too quiet since they sort of announced that Q would be signing Longer deal and EP a shorter deal. 
They may not have got all the details but I believe the framework has been there for sometime. 

Edited by DrJockitch

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

When Chicago won their first cup in ages, they had Byfuglien and traded him immediately after. They also traded Sharp, Shaw, Brouwer, and many others due to cap. Yet, they still had, if not a dynasty, a "near dynasty" and was a good team for many years after that.

If you are panicing about the Canucks being in a similar situation of actually having a good team and needing to trade these players away to stay under the cap, then I WANT your scenario to happen since that is EXACTLY what we are striving for and how we can be a good team long term. ;)

not sure how you even compare the canucks to anything remotely close to chicago.. lol there's a huge difference.. chicago WON their cup and then traded.. we haven't won anything and didn't even make the playoff 5 out of the last 6 season let's just say we make the playoff this coming season.. 2 out of 7 and have to trade away part of the core already?

Chicago have Kane and Toews 2 of the best player.. we have nothing even close to that level yet.

so you want the canucks to have cap issue having to trade away their core without having won anything yet? that's how to be a good team long term?? baffling