The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nic Petan - ruined?

Rate this topic

LTC123

I think that Petan will be great for the Abby Canucks.  

For the last who-knows-how-long, Canucks prospect wingers have had to go to Utica and play on lines with converted centers.  So I'm pretty excited to have our young guys developing with centers who can get them the puck in advantageous positions.  

Nic Petan should be a top 15 center in the AHL.  

7 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Petan is a bit of a puzzle.

From what I gathered reading Jets articles is that he would start on the 4th line, play really well, move up, then get injured. Writers tend to say he looks good when he plays but doesn’t get the minutes or the line mates over a consistent stretch.

here is a good article about him from his time with the Leafs: https://editorinleaf.com/2021/02/06/petan-toronto-maple-leafs-lineup/

Given his ability to perform in lower leagues and his unfortunate circumstances in the NHL we could find a bit of a diamond in the rough here. He likely becomes a top player on Abby and earns a few games but if he gels with say Podkolzin and Hoglander or Pearson on an offensive 4th line he could end up producing, but unlikely 

I had a thought but do you think he could maybe in a best case scenario, be like a Jeff Tambellini for the Canucks? 

Just now, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I had a thought but do you think he could maybe in a best case scenario, be like a Jeff Tambellini for the Canucks? 

Petan will be in Abbotsford, or picked up on waivers by another club.  If not picked up, he will be an emergency call up guy. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petan will be in Abbotsford, or picked up on waivers by another club.  If not picked up, he will be an emergency call up guy. 

Exactly.    He might be a spare plug to have later in the season if injuries get really out of control but in no way should he be considered a regular Canuck and not what he was brought to Abby for.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Still remember when people were saying Shinkaruk won't make it because he is too small at 5'11". Now we have posts asking why a 5'9" AHL ppg player is not making it in the NHL.

Nothing wrong with Petan being smaller.  It’s just he needs to play an offensive role that is only skill and produces points.  Who does he beat out to get one of those spots?  It’s kind of like he’s in competition with only Petey.  So he’s not winning that battle.  The issue with Petan is he is a big liability without the puck.  So for 90% of his time on ice he’s (mostly) in over his head.  

Petan's just fine as a hockey player, there's been other guys (e.g. Pirri, Ennis) who have been solid but ultimately fringe guys and it's moreso about the style of play in the league changing (either skilled small guys e.g. Marchand/ Kane/ Gaudreau/ Garland OR two-way guys with a bit more jam to fit "playoff" hockey) and the ultimate necessity for small guys to score to make it.  His numbers might not be "good enough" but he's not "ruined", it's just that smaller guys like him have mostly belonged in the minors or Europe.    

Edited by Phil_314

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Still remember when people were saying Shinkaruk won't make it because he is too small at 5'11". Now we have posts asking why a 5'9" AHL ppg player is not making it in the NHL.

Shinkaruk….. I forgot about that guy lol. 

On 9/25/2021 at 9:00 AM, LTC123 said:

Did Winnipeg ruin Nic Petan?  A great young scorer that couldn't make in the NHL?   Too small?   Did Winnipeg ruin his development?   Does he have a 2nd life with the Canucks?

Did Florida permanently ruin Jacob Markstrom?

• Haha 2

Now that Petan is still here and I am taking a closer look, I'm hoping he's Jonah Gadjovich 3.5 years ahead. Complete different games but... 

Mid 2nd rounder. Put up a pt/gm as a 22 year old. Floated up and down between NHL and AHL. Everytime he's been in AHL he's been better than a pt a game. 

Imagine he puts it all together and puts up a lot of points playing with Miller and Podz? 

That would be amazing. I think that's best case scenario. 

We will then get a lot of I told you sos from ppl that were ok with Gadj getting cut but I won't care. I'm a Canucks fan and want the team to do their best. 

I think Canucks and being on top 3 line is Petan's best chance to revive his career. 

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

X factor is coaching: if they are willing to give him a legit chance (?).  Only if he has earned it.

I know your not a fan of TG....Personally think he's done an average NHL job with our roster.   But - on this one point i'm starting to steer towards the dark side.   Why the heck cut Jonah?   Trying to "sneak" him through waivers was simply bad judgement by either Travis or the management or both.     Other success stories include Pearson - a huge plus for Travis Green - and all three of BB, EP and QH's.   Torts would have massacred all three in different ways.    Travis Green and the entire management staff, totally $&!# the bed on Jonah Gadjovich and i'm still grumpy about it.   And by the way, Shawn Antoski was a total mule for us was also upset when we traded him.  Guy was an absolute monster. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I know your not a fan of TG....Personally think he's done an average NHL job with our roster.   But - on this one point i'm starting to steer towards the dark side.   Why the heck cut Jonah?   Trying to "sneak" him through waivers was simply bad judgement by either Travis or the management or both.     Other success stories include Pearson - a huge plus for Travis Green - and all three of BB, EP and QH's.   Torts would have massacred all three in different ways.    Travis Green and the entire management staff, totally $&!# the bed on Jonah Gadjovich and i'm still grumpy about it.   And by the way, Shawn Antoski was a total mule for us was also upset when we traded him.  Guy was an absolute monster. 

Jonah was big and tough.  But he was way too slow in his first couple steps to play without the puck defensively.  Petan has proven to Green he can be trusted to be defensively responsible in all situations.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Jonah was big and tough.  But he was way too slow in his first couple steps to play without the puck defensively.  Petan has proven to Green he can be trusted to be defensively responsible in all situations.  

Well Quin and Crawford maybe even AV and for sure Torts would have tried him out on a scoring line infront of the net.    If we had more guys like him (like we used to do in spades - reminds me of Scatchard scratcherd lol - who had a great scrap with Joe Thornton his rookie year)  it wouldn't bother me.   Outside of Zack we don't.   Maybe it came down to one of the two i don't know but i'd bet he makes SJ and doesn't go down.   Travis Green and management took a risk - he said he expected him to play games this year and in SJ he for sure will.   IMO he played better then all the fringe forwards and some of the vets this preseason and no he's that slow anymore.  

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well Quin and Crawford maybe even AV and for sure Torts would have tried him out on a scoring line infront of the net.    If we had more guys like him (like we used to do in spades - reminds me of Scatchard scratcherd lol - who had a great scrap with Joe Thornton his rookie year)  it wouldn't bother me.   Outside of Zack we don't.   Maybe it came down to one of the two i don't know but i'd bet he makes SJ and doesn't go down.   Travis Green and management took a risk - he said he expected him to play games this year and in SJ he for sure will.   IMO he played better then all the fringe forwards and some of the vets this preseason and no he's that slow anymore.  

I just see Petan as a guy who can play up and down the lineup, with and without the puck, and in all situations.  Jonah, without the puck, was too slow.  Maybe, if given opportunity with top six guys he could have fit in?  But there would always be his defensive liability.  That’s not just in his own zone, but all over the ice.  Petan doesn’t have those issues.  And Petan can PK. 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yeah, Greens' preference towards veteran players makes it an uphill battle for rookies to making the club; unless of course, the rookie knocks the door down like what: EP, QH, Hogz, BB did from day one.

It seems it is during practice where the rookies or tweeners need to earn there opportunities when it comes to Green and these older tweeners like Petan had realized that it is either now or never.    It seems he had earned the opportunity to stick with the club (for now) from his performance in practice & his off ice preparation.   In terms of Gadj, only time will tell if they made the right decision but in Greens' system he is not a fit at all but in another coaches system he MIGHT thrive (?).  

As a coach and based on his overall record, I am still very skeptical if Green is the right coach for this (re vamp) roster ?  I believe the roster can be competitive but the coaching staff has remained mostly intact and IF the result remains the same - does it mean more roster tweaking is needed ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski